Wednesday, October 25, 2023

In Which I Am Crabby


I woke up this morning in the pre-dawn darkness and came out to the living room to find an awful lot of light on the patio. First I wondered if there was a full moon, but then I realized it was coming from the Russians' flat. About a year ago, as you may remember, they installed French doors and a Juliet balcony where once there was only a window. When they have the lights on and the drapes open, those French doors are lit up like the stage at Royal Albert Hall.

I don't remember noticing this phenomenon before, so I don't think they have the lights on and the drapes open all that often. Which is a good thing.

Holy cow, was I crabby yesterday! I surprised even myself. I had one episode of crabbiness while waiting in the lunch line at work, when for a variety of reasons the line took much longer than usual and then people behind me started getting served before me. I threw up my hands and said, "I'll just get a sandwich," which entails simply grabbing one from a display near the cash register and thus doesn't require standing in line at all. And that's what I did.

This resulted in one of the catering managers bringing a hot entree to my desk, which I felt bad about, but I appreciated the gesture. I'd already eaten my sandwich by that time but I figured I'd bring the entree home for dinner.

I spent part of the afternoon helping another librarian put up a display in the Middle School:


She asked all the kids to make little book spines showing their favorite book that they read over the summer. Then she assembled them all into "shelves." Here's a close-up:


As you can see, "The Hunger Games" remains a popular title. Would a sixth-grader really understand "The Lord of the Flies"? Or "No Country for Old Men"?! One eighth-grader said they read "Lolita," which kind of blew my mind.

Anyway, when the day finally ended I began walking home only to realize, about a third of the way there, that I'd left my lunch entree in the refrigerator at work. Argh! So I turned around, walked back, collected my entree, and took the tube home -- and here's where I had my second episode of crabbiness.

I disembarked from the tube at my stop and made my way up the stairs amid throngs of people, listening to the "Q-Anon Anonymous" podcast the whole time. One of my pet peeves is people who stand in front of the exit gates on the tube rummaging around for their wallets or tube cards. To my way of thinking, if you don't have your card ready, you should step aside and find it rather than blocking a gate so others can't get out.

Well, a discombobulated woman with a suitcase was standing in front of a gate looking for her card, and she was adjusting the layers of coats she seemed to be wearing for some reason, and then her suitcase fell over (as rolling bags are prone to do), blocking a second exit gate. I happened to be approaching that gate. I didn't even look at her -- I scanned my card, STEPPED OVER HER BAG, and walked through the gate. It was only on the other side that I thought, "Geez, maybe I should have helped that woman!"

My only defense is that when you live in a big city, particularly if you've lived in them for a quarter of a century like I have, you learn to keep your head down and your eyes forward. It's a form of urban armor, and it was exacerbated by the fact that I had my earbuds in and was listening to a podcast. So, yeah, it was an obnoxious thing to do -- and it brought to mind my Zen friend's comment about my heart -- but I think defensible under the circumstances.

Maybe I need another vacation.

34 comments:

River said...

I agree with you about having your cards ready. You leave home knowing you will be getting on a bus/train/tram so you should make sure your card is in an easy-access pocket of your coat/jacket/bag at all times. And get it into your hand when the chosen form of transport appears. Buses here often run late because of the many people who climb aboard and then start searching for their card to validate while people waiting behind get as impatient as those already seated.

Linda Sue said...

Good Boy Scouts have nothing to lose helping the befuddled .when Mr. grumpy Pants comes to the fore, employ your Mr. zen, take a breath , let it slide… no news there, especially in the city…another reason to take the bus.by the way , your photos with Bo
Log fiend were so sharp they nearly put my eye out!

Moving with Mitchell said...

I have those crabby days, too. And what's worse is the guilt you feel after the mood passes. Hope today is better ... and that those a##holes stay the f##k out of your way. (SG came close yesterday to leaving his full cart at checkout and stromping out of the supermarket.)

Rachel Phillips said...

I think you made a mistake in returning to work for the entree. It would have survived a night in the fridge. I think the book spine project was a good idea, both artistic and educational in illustrating the importance of books and reading.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

And now from DC, a new superhero to stand with Aquaman, Batman, Superman and Hawkman... it's CRABBYMAN! A mild-mannered librarian by day, he transforms into bad-tempered CRABBYMAN as he heads home. Flaunting his enormous pincers, he walks sideways meting out justice where ever he goes. Watch "CRABBYMAN AND THE RUSSIANS" in all major cinemas from November 1st.

Andrew said...

People's public behaviour can be so frustrating and I am not perfect on that score. I once stopped in the middle of somewhere where I should not have. People not having cards ready when they board public transport, people not having their purses and wallets ready at checkouts.

I would have left the food in the fridge given you were well on the way to getting home. I've done that kind of thing and it does make you crabby, but it is your own fault.

I love the book spine project. What an inspired idea and it is clearly popular. There are some curious minds there, from what you say.

London's Tube feels similar to the NYC Subway in that people have a 'Don't speak to me' expression. It's cultural, no doubt.

gz said...

Nice one YP!! We all have those days..feeling like an animal whose fur is being brushed the wrong way.
The book spines display was a great idea..some good talking points.

Maybe you would have been the wrong person to stop...by doing what you did you at least got out of the way of others.

I can't say I think much of the light display...but it would cut your electricity bill!!

Jean Winnipeg said...

I loved the idea and planning and work that went into the book wall. I have been having a serious close up look at it for ideas for a book for my grandson, I like to find at least one book to tuck in amongst Christmas gifts. I hear a lot about The Hunger Games from the slightly older other grandchild. I am with you on the having a ticket ready, it is rather like the checkout line at the supermarket when suddenly someone is trying to find a card to pay with. However, having visited the UK last summer, I know there were a few times when I was trying to figure out what I should do when I had the ticket code on my iPhone and being quite ancient and not used to using the iPhone for that and I felt all fingers and thumbs at the entrance or exit. Jean in Winnipeg

Bob said...

Here's to better days, hot lunches, and people who are prepared ... or step aside.

Boud said...

I blame it all on the Russians interfering with your melatonin with their lights.

Ms. Moon said...

I think what you really need is better neighbors.

Marcia LaRue said...

Some days are just that way, Steve. Hopefully today will be better, however, if you are still grumpy you can just blame it on the phase of the Moon!

Ed said...

I personally find living in urban areas to be numbing to the point where I do things like what you describe. I guess because it happens so often is the reason one becomes numb to it. Where as when I lived on a farm where things like that were a novelty or something only seen in books, I wasn't as susceptible. But I agree, mood surely plays a large part as well.

Ellen D. said...

We all have good and bad days, Steve, so don't worry about it.
I love that book spine display! That's so clever and I'm glad your students are reading!!

NewRobin13 said...

Always such a bummer when we have bad days. Things go wrong. Neighbors have lights that are too bright. Or worse... play music too loud. Things always get better, Steve. (That's me trying to be positive. LOL!).
I love that book spine display. What a great idea.

Red said...

Everybody is allowed a crabbie day once in while.

Debby said...

I have been the crabby soul once or twice in my life. *eye roll* I have also been the woman with the rolling suitcase blocking the way because I was dumbing around looking for a lost ticket. I have been the person who stopped to help her as well. I've been the forgetter. The impatient one. The recipient of kindness. The list goes on and on.

We are all mere mortals. I try to remind myself of that.

ellen abbott said...

somehow I missed that post. we all have days when we are crabby or impatient or irritable but those days are not a reflection of the totality that is us. as for your experience at the zendo, it seems to me the guy who told the teacher he didn't think you had a good heart maybe didn't have one himself since he felt compelled to say something to the teacher about you.

I hope those kids get their book spines back. they'd make a great bookmark.

Susan said...

I'd say you've had an off day. Yesterday was a bit of a horror for me too. Can you believe it, over two days, I went to the pharmacy 6 times to get one script. Initially I was told it is not ready, come back in an hour. Then told script went to a different store location. Went to new location and was told it was sent to the other location. I'd call this a royal screw-up. Today has got to be better for both of us.

Janie Junebug said...

I was so crabby yesterday that when my supervisor wasn't helpful I came very close to shouting at her, which wouldn't have gone over well at all. She's very pissy. It was a bad day for me and a bad day for you but today is better--so far.

Love,
Janie

The Bug said...

Oof - I was SO CRABBY on Monday. I actually warned my coworkers. Although my default mode is a little bit crabby so I'm not sure they would have noticed. And I am forever watching someone struggle and then later thinking I could have helped them. Sigh.

Margaret said...

We're all allowed our moments of crabbiness. You don't seem a generally cranky person! I get irritated by people's insensitivity to others. Flying or being in airports with those who don't use headphones is enough to send me over the bend these days. Or people talking loudly on their cell phones. Ugh.

Kelly said...

I have more than my share of crabby days as well as times I look back and think I sure could have been nicer to someone. It happens. I hope today has been better for you.

Great idea for the display!! I would have loved doing that!

jenny_o said...

Holy moly, that's a lot of light coming from upstairs! Why do people have to be so unaware of how their actions affect others? Or maybe they are, and just don't care.

I hate having crabby days. Sometimes they just happen. Mine are usually because of stress over other things in my life, or when I'm getting worn down over weeks of that stress. Hope tomorrow is better for you. Y'know, only folks with decent hearts even stop to admit they are crabby :)

gz said...

Just a wee note, Steve. I have just worked out why I couldn't access this blog from my phone (it's been ok from the tablet).
It is http....not https..so Google doesn't think it is a verified address.
Odd that it has only just started.
It won't load Facebook either...no big loss!!

Tasker Dunham said...

Crabbyness is permitted occasionally.

The Padre said...

Well Olga Girl Apparently Had A Day As Well So Slip That Girl A Just Because Biscuit

Sending Love,
Cheers

Sharon said...

Well, don't take a vacation in a big city like London, it will only bring on the same feelings. I do love London but wow, is it busy.

Pixie said...

I'll bet your landlord is thankful that he/she doesn't live below the Russians.

You do have a good heart Steve, everybody gets grumpy sometimes.

BTW my grandson has a minecraft character, he calls him Steve:)

Allison said...

I have been known to launch an eye roll or a deep sigh at people counting out exact change in nickels and pennies at the grocery store - especially when there are huge lines because the grocery store has cut staff drastically.

sparklingmerlot said...

I love how your crabbiness manifested in throwing up your hands and saying "I'll just get a sandwich". So very Steve! And then beating YOURSELF up for getting annoyed at someone else's behaviour and the ramifications thereof.
You have a good heart.

Jeanie said...

Sometimes we're just crabby. You've gotta go with it, let it go when you can-- you certainly had some reason (not to mention leftovers from the neigboring apartment folk about the trees.) and it's not like you're crabby every day! (If you are, you sure don't share it here!)

The display is really a fun idea. I'd love to see all the titles!

Fresca said...

Lol, you’ve got what it takes to be a survivor in Lord of the Flies or Hunger Games! Stepping over the fallen… (I know it was just a bag!)

Catalyst said...

Rest. Easy. My. Friend.