Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Paperwork and Baileywork


I found this little crab spider nestled in one of the blossoms on our "Poodle Skirt" dahlia. Can you see it in there, waiting for an unsuspecting bee or fly to come along? I wonder how it manages to find blossoms -- are these spiders just out there, migrating from flower to flower?

Yesterday was a day for getting things done. My mental inbox has been full of a bunch of stuff that I had to get cleared out.

First of all, I had to mail my ballot for the Democratic primary election in Florida. The election is August 18 and I just realized the other day that I never received an overseas ballot as requested. So I sent a message to the Supervisor of Elections in the county where I vote, and they e-mailed me a ballot. I filled it out, printed and mailed it yesterday. Done!

I don't care much about the Democratic primary but I want to stay active on the voter rolls and also get a sense of how this will work for the general election in November.

Second, I had to file the insurance claim for my camera. Dave had to sign, scan and copy some documents, which he did yesterday morning, and I pulled everything together and filed the claim electronically yesterday afternoon. I don't think I need to send paper copies as well but I'll double-check on that. I hope everything I sent will be sufficient; we shall see.

So that's two big items off my plate. In addition I caught up on some e-mails and blog-reading.


And of course I took care of this beast. She lay in the garden with me after an eventful neighborhood walk. She really does not like other dogs. She ran into Olga's black lab and spaniel pals from the nearby housing estate and I thought she was going to take their heads off. I see what the rescue place means about her needing to stay on a lead. She is a very different dog from Olga, and who knows what dark things may have damaged her psychologically in the past.


Fortunately she is very sweet to both of us, and to the other people she meets. It's only dogs she can't stand. She is happy to lie on our laps, submit her belly for rubbing and sleep with us in bed.

In the afternoon we took her to Fortune Green and the cemetery, where we walked the forested paths and she could watch the squirrels (above). She looks tiny in that photo but she's really not that small; about 22 kilos, roughly the same size as Olga. It's just a matter of perspective, I guess.

Afterwards we went to Sweet Corner, the corner cafe, and had a coffee in the air-conditioning while she lay by our feet.


And remember that alligator chew toy that we bought for Olga years ago? Olga never knew what to do with it; she much preferred her Kongs. But Bailey loves eviscerating a soft chew toy. We gave her the alligator and she made short work of it, first methodically gnawing a small hole in the tough outer covering and then pulling out all the stuffing and the squeaker. After that, she beheaded it.


Here's some of the action, in case you'd like to see the carnage first-hand.

She still has a lot of puppy in her. Fortunately she doesn't chew anything she shouldn't. (So far!) I hope I can redirect some of this chewing energy to the Kongs, because they are very sturdy and will hold up, unlike the soft toys. Remember how Olga used to gnaw Kongs apart as a young dog? We've been through all this before!

Her world is about to be shaken again, because Dave leaves tomorrow for a ten-day trip to the USA to see his parents and attend Drum Corps events in Indiana. She's very bonded to Dave so I hope this doesn't unsettle her too much. Fortunately the rest of her new routine should remain more or less the same.

58 comments:

  1. I hope your paperwork makes it in time for your vote to be counted. My husband sent some important papers to the USA and they have been languishing in Customs for several days.
    It's a shame that Bailey is so reactive to dogs. She may mellow with age and experience.
    We had a Dalmatian like that - he loved our dogs and cats but could never be trusted with unfamiliar dogs. That was poor breeding, though. His sire was a Champion show dog, perfect conformation, but poor temperament, and everyone in the Dalmatian world knew it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should arrive in time, but that's one thing I wanted to test! I hope Bailey will mellow but I suspect we may need to do some training.

      Delete
  2. I hope that Bailey isn't swallowing any of the stuffing as it could congregate in her gut and cause pain and a hefty vet's bill. I am as knowledgeable about dogs as Donald Trump is about diplomacy but I would suggest that a skilled dog trainer might be able to melt away some of Bailey's aggression towards other dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she's very good about not ingesting it. Dave and I have talked about hiring a trainer. We're going to see how things go over the next several weeks as she settles in.

      Delete
  3. Bailey is young enough for you to be able to work with her and hopefully get her to like other dogs, animals normally respond well to being loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I'd hate to have her go through life unable to socialize.

      Delete
  4. Probably a good time to get Bailey used to one of you traveling. What a sweet, and happy dog, except for that canine killer instinct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it will be good for her to know that we will leave and come back again.

      Delete
  5. She may mellow with age, but she will possibly always have some re-actives to certain things. Mavis, when we first got her always cowered at long sticks, her first owner trained all his dogs with brute force and beatings. After we got her back five months after she was stolen, she reacted badly to carrier bags and any more than one Asian man coming towards her. We could only imagine why. Bailey is going to be such a loved dog, it's lovely to see, there are many adventures ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bailey also doesn't like sounds that she perceives coming from within "her territory," which unfortunately includes upstairs and the neighbors' gardens. :/

      Delete
  6. My George has always been reactive to other dogs, and after Ginger died (we had her first so she was never a problem for him) we wondered if he'd ever accept another dog. We were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to adopt Poppy, and he loves her so much! Bailey may calm down with other dogs once she's adjusted to all the changes in her life. And if not, it's not the end of the world as long as she's good with people. I love her big floppy ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that about George. It gives me hope that as Bailey ages she will become more accepting of other dogs.

      Delete
  7. As you say, you‘ve been through some of this with Olga when she was young and are responsible dog owners who know what to do.
    And isn‘t it a good thing that Bailey is so different from Olga?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a good thing, and I'm learning to appreciate Bailey for who she is!

      Delete
  8. We had a long line of strays growing up on the farm and all had some sort of psychological issues/quirks. I suppose I could say the same thing about all the humans I know fairly well too. Life is identifying them and learning to live with them.

    I never knew what a "squeaker" looked like. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, animals are bound to have their individual issues, just like all of us. Squeakers are about the simplest technology you could imagine! LOL

      Delete
  9. Oddly, Shirley and Murray just lick their stuffed animals. I have had some dogs in my lifetime that have ripped them to shreds. Your comment about Bailey's previous life echos my thoughts about Murray. We think he must have been abused as he is so skittish and flinches a lot if there are sudden movements. I am voting in my Democratic primary next week for our congressional district. There are 7 people running. I just want the man/woman who will beat the Republican as he's a MAGA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vote in primaries mainly to show the elections people that I am an active voter. There's rarely a very important race.

      Delete
  10. I think she'll get better around other dogs as you meet them on walks; perhaps she was never acclimated to them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I suspect her only encounters with other dogs were adversarial so she doesn't know anything else.

      Delete
  11. Bailey is definitely finding her paws chez Steve. And Dave's absence will give her a chance to get to know you better. And the other way around, too. I wonder what put her off dogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to say. I think she was probably part of a dog fighting/breeding circle. There's no evidence she did any fighting herself, but breeders like dogs that have "game," and she definitely does!

      Delete
  12. It is always such a relief to finally clear those looming items off your mental inbox, even if the daily juggle of dog walking and preparing for Dave's upcoming trip keeps you constantly on your toes. I hope Bailey adjusts smoothly to Dave being away for ten days, and that you get a chance to relax amidst all the household hustle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, getting things done is a huge relief! And I have more on my mental list today! (As do many of us, I'm sure.)

      Delete
  13. Our Charlie is the same, very reactive with other dogs, wonderful with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how dogs are. Do you have any sense of why he's like that?

      Delete
  14. I'm glad she doesn't go for shoes or that you have little ones with stuffed toys! I wonder if she was beat up by other dogs prior to being in rescue. She looks like she could be strong,, too. But definitely like she's settling in. She looks good on that bed! I'm glad she's good in the cafe, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thank goodness she hasn't chewed anything she's not supposed to. She is quite strong.

      Delete
  15. Glad she likes you and Dave! She seems so relaxed and happy in her new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's very comfortable here and seems to be getting good rest, which is so much better for her than the kennel.

      Delete
  16. Doesn't seem like Bailey had any trouble settling in to her new home. Minnie would eventually tear all the stuffing out of her toys. She's 11 now and no longer does that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a young dog thing. It's like Olga chewing apart her Kongs. She eventually stopped.

      Delete
  17. I just filled out my vote by mail paperwork as well. 47 is still against it which makes me all the more want it.
    Bailey is settling in nicely and absorbing her new life. She might have had a not-so-great experience with another dog which might explain why she loves people but not other dogs. She's young and all that could change with more positive experiences and a fantastic family with you and Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, voting by mail is a good way to show that it's a valuable process! I hope Bailey mellows with age and relaxes a bit as she realizes she's secure and safe.

      Delete
  18. Another sunny day in London, how sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bailey is so good at killing her stuffed animals! You will never need protection from those again! I always felt like my staffie mixes were one big muscle.
    Good for you for getting your vote in! And also the insurance claim. Things like that are so hard for me to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Bailey is also one big muscle. I feel so relieved to get that paperwork done.

      Delete
  20. Well done on getting your vote in.
    It's impressive that Bailey was able to settle calmly while you were at a cafe.
    Having had two dog-reactive dogs (one of them an extreme case) myself, I'd urge you to not underestimate this behavior. There are lots of things that you can do to help her feel more comfortable around other dogs, and none of them are "wait and see" or "she'll grow out of it". It's still early days (The Rule of Threes), but once she's settled in, if it continues I'd seek professional help. Here's one place to start. https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/get-help/behaviour-support-line. (I apologize in advance if I've overstepped).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's not bothered by being out in public and she's very well behaved, as long as there are no other dogs around! We do have plans to get her training if that turns out to be necessary.

      Delete
  21. I will be interesting to hear how the insurance claim turns out. I always purchase the travel insurance but have never had to make a claim. I hope it goes smoothly.
    Good job getting your ballot sent. Every vote is going to be important.
    Bailey looks like she is adapting to her new home quite well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll see how efficient this claims process is!

      Delete
  22. I hope the insurance claim goes through smoothly. I am skeptical of all insurance companies these days! Bailey looks so comfortable and settled in. What a joy (and challenge) to have a new member of the family! It looks like she's already loving her life with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had to claim on insurance so this is a first for me!

      Delete
  23. Pat rarely gets plush toys because he tears them up too quickly. He was lying here sleeping until he heard the squeaker from your video. haha Bailey did a great job of killing that alligator!
    Pat had a bark box subscription for a year featuring their "super-chewer" collection. Everything was hard rubber (like a Kong) or hard plastic/vinyl. They are guaranteed not to tear up. He's still playing with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't think we'll be buying any soft toys either! I'm trying to get her more interested in the Kongs.

      Delete
  24. It will be interesting to see how she reacts to Dave when he returns. Early intervention with a specialist dog trainer might well save some heartache down the track. This is extra important when it is a very strong and powerful breed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She loves Dave and I'm sure she'll be thrilled when he returns. We're going to give her a couple of weeks to settle in and then assess the possible need for training.

      Delete
  25. Oh my- you have a toddler! The work and training in store for you guys!!! she is a pretty little pooch. Maybe you could have play dates for her so that she could make friends . We used to do that for Dexter and he became decently socialized. Caesar "the dog whisperer" has good advice usually. Worth watching his old programs just for the dogs that are so cute. Bailey is still so young and puppy-ish, she is going to be a handful, I reckon. Beautiful little thing. Dave's absence for ten days will certainly give you time to bond. Training is everything, consistency and reward. You have had lovely dogs in the past, Olga really is a hard act to follow. God I loved that girl! Keeping her on a lead is a very good thing. to do. It will keep her safe. Congratulations for adopting your new baby! She's a lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, she is like a toddler, except stronger! I think we'll get her some professional training before we try anything like a play date. Olga IS a hard act to follow, and I have to keep reminding myself that Bailey is a different dog with different needs and a different personality.

      Delete
  26. Interesting to watch Bailey tear that alligator apart and I'm glad she doesn't try to eat the stuffing. I agree with others about a professional trainer to help her learn to get on with other dogs, even if just to the point where she doesn't "go after them".
    Gold star for voting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my goal -- just to be able to see a dog in the street without wanting to make a beeline for it!

      Delete
  27. Hope the insurance claim brings good results for you, Steve. I have had to file twice for damaged luggage and received compensation but it did require time. Luckily, I had the luggage receipt as it had been purchased right before the trip. Good luck to you and Bailey while Dave is away, more bonding and training time for you both.

    ReplyDelete