Saturday, August 29, 2026

A Caterpillar and Not Much Else

A mural at the Hampstead School

A pretty quiet day yesterday. Bailey and I stayed home and I read the first 130 pages or so of "Our Evenings" by Alan Hollinghurst, which I'm slowly warming to. I've loved Hollinghurst's past books, but this one is taking me a little longer to get into. I think it's about to get interesting, though.

In the afternoon I walked Bailey through the cemetery and up into Cricklewood.


I found this weird little caterpillar crawling around on a cemetery bench. It's the larvae of the pale tussock moth (Calliteara pudibunda), which I did not know until I got home and looked it up. This struck a memory chord and I realized I'd seen tussock moth caterpillars in Florida several years ago -- a different species. They're not even the same genus, apparently, so I'm not sure how closely related they are.


We found a community open space up in Cricklewood where I'd never been before, and I was impressed by the common yarrow (Achillea) growing amid the dry, dead grass. I've seen it blooming in the cemetery too -- it doesn't seem fazed by the incredibly dry summer. Bailey even posed for me momentarily off the leash! (Or with me not holding the leash, anyway.)


On the way home we passed the vintage Ford Galaxie that I've written about a couple of times before. It's been spruced up with a nice new paint job.

Last night we had a friend, Mark, come over for some drinks after work. Martini time! (For me, anyway. Mark stuck with Budweiser. He likes his watery American beer.)

28 comments:

  1. Don't like the look of that caterpillar - probably harmless but looks vicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took my English brother-in-law out to a cool bar in NYC in the ’70s. I was in shock when he ordered a Budweiser. (He pronounced like it was German.)

    Nice to see that moment with Bailey on her own recognizance.

    The Ford Galaxie looks so out of place, almost like the Cadillac Sedan de Ville my friend’s family shipped to the Italian Riviera from NYC every summer. I’m at a loss. Am I supposed to be courageous or be myself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bailey is gaining confidence and looks to be more relaxed.

    Courage is needed to be onesself

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just HAD to get a plant in didn't you? Common yarrow (Achillea). In the past it was used to stop bleeding from wounds or scratches. Another name for it was "soldier's woundwort".

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is excellent that we have a botanist in the blog world. Yarrow is an elf's herb or a devil's herb and can give you the power of divination. Also if you stick a leaf up your nose it foretold love. That is the second plant I have come across that does this.
    Trouble with caterpillars you don't know which end the head is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lovely photo of Bailey, looking very girly amongst all the flowers. 🌸🐶🌸

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like Yarrow in all its forms, it's pretty. Bailey looks to be having fun, "he let go the leash! He trusts me!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Galaxie is impressive and we had them here but I can't remember what the front or rear end looked like. Ok, check the links, and there is a rear end view. I think we had the model here, but I'm not certain.
    I've heard bad thing about Bud and perhaps it is like our Fosters Lager, but at least here, no one drinks Fosters Lager because it is awful. It does sell overseas though.
    Gosh, the size of Bailey's mouth. Better to be a friend of Bailey than an enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Assuming whomever had to pay by the square area to ship the Galaxy across the pond, they likely paid a pretty penny... or pence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the car. My uncle had one just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the students at that school are learning to be courageously themselves!
    That car is so cool. Bailey looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Choice Post - All Of It - Short And To Te Point - Nice Stance There Bailey Dog

    Stay Brilliant ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that mural, Steve, both the message and the colors. Did you feel at all apprehensive about letting go of Bailey's lease long enough to snap a photo?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds like a very good day! Good Girl Bailey for staying put for her photo op!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bailey reminds me so much of dogs I've known and owned. If it can be said one owns a dog.
    Nice car. As soon as I saw the picture I thought, "Ford, Galaxie" which is odd because the only vintage cars I can truly identify are midfifties Chevies. I must have tucked that identification somewhere in my brain from your former posts and it tumbled out at just the right second.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That caterpillar screams do not touch! I have yarrow growing in one flower bed but it blooms white and much earlier in the year.

    When I was in high school, the 'in crowd' the jocks drank Budweiser and I pledged to never ever drink Budweiser and haven't to this day. My beer drinking days it was Lone Star or Corona or Dos Equises.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My first husband and I had a 1953 Ford Galaxie 500 XL, red with a black vinyl top! It was a real snazzy looking car!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Four great photographs Steve.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lot to look at and think about in this post.
    Miss Bailey, she of the slim waist, is getting into modelling very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The white caterpillar looks spikey. It radiates, do not touch.
    Nice walk.
    Restoring old cars is both time consuming and $$$$. Someone has a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bailey bragging about being able to lie down and not run away when the leash is down. Of course she'd be totally barking (!) to run away from her five star new home.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You'll have Bailey posing like Olga in no time! She looks great there!
    I like the car. I do not like the caterpillar.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That car is looking very nice indeed. And so is Bailey standing among the blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hairy caterpillars scare me! Brushed up against one and the pain was incredible, Bailey really is turning out to be a good girl. She’s so very lucky to have ended up with you and Dave.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bailey, what an interesting dog- false pregnancy, clever girl- postponing surgery like that! Though , she will look absolutely royal with a ruff around her neck ( the cone ). make it pretty! Pink would suit her. The car looks like a great make out car... lots of room!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The galaxies were a very classy car.

    ReplyDelete