Monday, August 31, 2026

An Outing and Some Memories


Today is the birthday of my childhood friend Theresa, who would have been 60 this year. I've mentioned Theresa several times on this blog -- she lived down the street where I grew up and was one of my earliest friends. I have many good memories of playing at her house, learning about science from her biology professor father, exploring the woods and swamps, and getting up to mischief like shooting BB guns at floating glass jars in a neighborhood pond that was rumored to be bottomless. Theresa died last year, but just as we always remember our parent's birthdays and other dates that were significant when we were children, I will never forget that this is her birthday.

Dave and I spent yesterday morning at home, me washing dog blankets and reading, Dave on his computer. Finally I suggested we take the dog out for an adventure, so after lunch we leashed up Bailey and walked to Hampstead Heath.

Getting Dave to walk that far is a minor miracle -- he isn't a huge fan of walking in general -- but we had a good time and he got a chance to see Bailey on her long lead and how she behaves in the "wild." She was a good dog, for the most part. I know I've said this before, but she's gradually becoming less reactive to other dogs as she feels more secure with us. We still can't let her get nose-to-nose with them, but at least she doesn't bark and snarl when they pass.


We walked to Golders Green Park, where we sat at one of these picnic tables and had coffee. (Well, Bailey didn't have coffee, but she did have some of our bread-and-raisin pudding.) She's very concerned in the photo above because Dave has walked away from us -- you can see him in the distance, returning.

The coffee break wasn't exactly relaxing, because there's a fair amount of dog management involved in keeping her nearby and under control, but we enjoyed our walk anyway, and the main thing is...


...it tired her out. Happiness is a tired dog.

Last night we watched "Deep Impact," at Dave's suggestion. We are doing a whole lot of nothing significant with our holiday weekend! (Today is a bank holiday so Dave is off work.)

31 comments:

  1. I am a bit horrified that Bailey had some raisin pudding.......Please google " Can dogs eat raisins". Hopefully she will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know this about raisins! At most she got two or three -- I'm not even sure she got any -- but Dave and I will discuss. Thanks for pointing this out.

      Delete
    2. Yes! Thank you for pointing this out, Frances! Even grape jelly is bad!

      Delete
  2. In my (very humble) opinion Dave needs to get out of his Lay-Zee-Boy chair more often and simply go for a walk. It's the best thing he can do for his future health.

    Please accept my condolences as you reflect upon your friend Theresa on the occasion of her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a contented dog. I always think when dogs are aggressive to other dogs, they must be in their 'teenage' years. I dutifully took my Moss to obedience class and he was so well behaved. Then when we left the lesson, a joyous leap in the air and back to square one, but he did grow up eventually;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doing a whole lot of nothing is my life, but I've made a life of doing nothing, and it's good.
    It all sounds very innocent with Theresa. Did either of you ever have 'thoughts'?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend Theresa. She died far too young.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frances beat me to it! Raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, xylitol, all belong in the 'forbidden to dogs' list, though to be honest, all our dogs have accidentally sampled forbidden fruits and survived - not macadamia and xylitol, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good walk for everyone. The tiny dog down the hall from us has slowly settled in, she/he had not been treated kindly in her first home and was terrified of people for the first few months living here. It takes time and kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a fair weather walker so to keep walking when the weather is not ideal, I have a treadmill with a flatscreen television mounted to the wall. I have grown to like it because it gives me an excuse to catch up on all these shows I have heard others talk about over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sleeping dog, what a sweet sight 🤎

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you have such pleasant memories of your friend, Theresa, so you can celebrate her on her birthday. Seeing Bailey napping reminds me of the days my kids were little and I spent most days getting them tired enough to go back to bed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A tired, sleeping dog is a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I figured she'd get better around other dogs the more comfortable she becomes with you and them. She may never be truly friendly, though my fingers are crossed, but she'll be better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think there's been enough interest in the area of how profoundly our childhood friends- our first relationships outside of our families- affects us. But I think those relationships do help form and shape us. It sounds like Theresa was very important in your childhood and her family as well. Good to remember her.
    Wonderful to hear that Bailey is becoming less worried about other dogs. She is getting good parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you have such good memories of Theresa to think about on her birthday. And Bailey snoozing is how I felt after our church picnic yesterday. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you have shared your childhood friendship with us. Those memories are good for the soul.
    I love that photo of the flower with the droplets of water on it. It was raining rather heavily just a few moments ago here and lots of lightening and thunder. I am happy to see the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Birthdays remind us of the people we've lost. Somehow you kept in touch with Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marc is not a fan of outdoor activity either. Walk? Nope but now at least he has an excuse, quitting cigarettes way to late, his lungs are compromised but even before he has always been sedentary. I have often wondered how I ended up with a guy who doesn't like to do stuff. I love the sunflower pic from underneath. I did a similar piece in glass.

    ReplyDelete
  18. RIP Theresa. Your fond memories of her shine brightly when you speak of her. Your friendship and bond continue. That is lovely.
    The sunflower is beautiful.
    Your walk and coffee in the park sound great and best of all, Bailey is less reactive to other dogs. She is feeling secure and confident and that is due to the TLC and guidance from you and Dave. Nice work Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wishing you sweet memories of Theresa and your childhood. It makes me so happy to see how quickly Bailey fell in love with you both. She really has turned out to be a great dog and seeing her anxiously awaiting Dave’s return is heartwarming. Let sleeping dogs lie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is that sunflower towering over you? Great perspective.

    Glad you pried Dave out for a walk, and that he enjoyed it. Dogs are often calmer on a long line than a 6 foot leash. Apparently the long line allows them more psychological freedom than a regular leash, which can make them feel trapped and threatened by the sight of another dog. You're giving her exactly what she needs.

    Chris from Boise

    PS It seems that different dogs react differently to grapes/raisins. Vets have reported dogs that have died after eating one raisin. Our brother-in-law's dog grazed their grapevine for years and never had a problem, and our dogs have eaten spilled raisins with no side effects. It's best to err on the side of caution, but no need to panic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is good to celebrate friends on their birthdays, whether they are still with us or no. Good memories to cherish.

    Bailey is getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad Bailey is getting better around other dogs. You may always have to keep a close watch on her with them, though. As many years as we've had Pat, he can still be unpredictable if another dog gets in his face. I blame the terrier in him.

    ReplyDelete
  23. People live on in memories - I too, cannot let go of birthdays. Unfortunately I also remember birthdays of people who weren't my best childhood friends but merely acquaintances for a season or so!

    ReplyDelete
  24. 'Happiness is a tired dog' aww...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a cute dog. I have my own fluffy friend. After a long day of carpet cleaning, my favorite thing is to come home and see him run up to me all excited.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's good to hear Bailey is reacting less to other dogs now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bailey is obviously fitting in well and loving her new home!

    ReplyDelete