Sue and I walked past this Circle K on Anna Maria Island yesterday morning. "Wow, that is the reddest gas station I've ever seen," I said. "It's like being inside a toaster oven, or maybe an Ed Ruscha painting."
Our long morning walk also took us through a nature preserve, where we said hello to a well-bronzed woman named Wanda June who Sue often meets walking the trails there. ("No animals today!" Wanda June reported.) We popped into a little cafe where I had french toast with mango butter, and then headed back to Sue's house to get tidied up for our road trip. We were on the road by 10 a.m., headed clear across the state.
We took State Road 64 into the heart of rural Florida, where gigantic chickens guard driveway entrances (and pull double-duty as signposts).
We rolled through Wauchula...
...and into Avon Park, which I last visited a few years ago. My great-grandparents lived in this town, and we checked out their old house (which is still standing and occupied, but looks like a wreck these days) and the quaint downtown.
I was sorry to see that the Diving Girl Diner is no more, nor is the western wear store where the actual diving girl motel sign used to be displayed in the window. (See my earlier post to better understand all that.)
Sue and I ate this time in a little Cuban cafe on Main Street called Sophie's. I had a Cuban sandwich with rice and beans and a cafe con leche. Then we popped into an antique shop next door where I found a fantastic glass vase shaped like an owl, made of Murano glass. I couldn't pass it up. I'll share a photo of it once I get it back to London, since right now it's heavily shrouded in bubble wrap.
I asked the woman running the antique store about the diving girl. She assured me that "someone in town has it." Sue and I laughed later because it all seemed rather conspiratorial, like she didn't want to reveal its whereabouts.
I was sorry to see that the Diving Girl Diner is no more, nor is the western wear store where the actual diving girl motel sign used to be displayed in the window. (See my earlier post to better understand all that.)
Sue and I ate this time in a little Cuban cafe on Main Street called Sophie's. I had a Cuban sandwich with rice and beans and a cafe con leche. Then we popped into an antique shop next door where I found a fantastic glass vase shaped like an owl, made of Murano glass. I couldn't pass it up. I'll share a photo of it once I get it back to London, since right now it's heavily shrouded in bubble wrap.
I asked the woman running the antique store about the diving girl. She assured me that "someone in town has it." Sue and I laughed later because it all seemed rather conspiratorial, like she didn't want to reveal its whereabouts.
We got back in the car and kept driving and driving eastward on State Road 60 to our final destination -- Vero Beach.
Years ago, Dave and I planned a Florida trip that was going to include a night in Vero at a fun-looking little boutique motel. We wound up cancelling the trip at the last minute, and ever since I've had a lingering desire to see what we missed. So Sue and I made the pilgrimage, and this is where we're staying -- South Beach Place, about a block from the ocean. It's a great '50s building of small apartment suites, with a pool and snazzy mid-century decorations. My Murano owl would fit in well here. (But they can't have it.)
And this is where we had dinner last night, at a table near the plate glass windows overlooking the ocean. When Sue and I drove this coastline about 27 years ago (!), we stopped at the Ocean Grill and had lunch at the bar. This time, we had a proper meal and it was one of the best seafood dinners I've ever had -- pompano with broccoli and a baked potato, and key lime pie for dessert. Simple but wonderful. We both left very happy (but felt the restaurant has gone a bit overboard with its Halloween decorations).
Today we're road tripping again in the opposite direction, but both happy with our overnight cross-Florida adventure. As Sue said, "We had our toes in the water on both sides of the state on the same day!"






You and Sue should write and sing a road trip song - audio of which to be posted on this transatlantic blog. I'll give you the opening verse and chorus...
ReplyDeleteOut on State Road 60
We sang songs of Dixie
And sometimes Sue would take the wheel
We laughed about Poughkeepsie
And an old friend name of Christy
Whose motto was "Just do what you feel!"
Vero Beach seemed out of reach
But we got there in the end
Sue and Steve and sunshine
We made the perfect blend.
What a fun trip you guys are having!!! Envious!! :). Enjoy for all of us doing our virtual trip with you. :D
ReplyDeleteI Get American Horror: Murder Gas Station from that first photo.
ReplyDeleteIt looks bloody, doesn't it?
DeleteMy father had a distant relative in Vero Beach, it is also where the Piper Aircraft Company built its single engine planes. I remember touring the factory in the early 70's.
ReplyDeleteI vaguely remember visiting Vero Beach long ago. It's the first name I've recognized on your travels.
ReplyDeleteYou were in an area I have spent quite a bit of time as my grandparents lives just south of Avon Park in Sebring for a couple decades.
ReplyDeleteWell, now you're in my world. Vero! The Ocean Grill! Waldo Sexton! McKee Gardens! Head up the coast just a little bit and end up in Sebastian. Take a left and go to Roseland. Man. I'm jealous. I want to be there too.
ReplyDeleteDipping Toes And Treasures - Much Better Than Posting From Dunkin Donuts
ReplyDeleteTravel On ,
Cheers
Loving your trip! Thanks for taking us there. Florida- a place I will never go to in this lifetime. I like the aesthetic, the colors, the buildings- the shape of the state is comical.
ReplyDeleteIt's fun to have a good friend to travel with, Steve. Sounds like you two are having a great time.
ReplyDeleteIt sure is different from where I live!!
ReplyDeleteI'm happy because you're happy and having such a good time with Sue.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
That sounds like a fun day exploring the state from coast to coast with a close friend. I can't wait to see that vase.
ReplyDeleteI suppose you could in theory drive all the way across Texas in one day but you'd have to leave really early and be ready for a loooong haul. Good seafood is out of this world. When I was in Portugal for 3 weeks I had fish every day. So good, never got tired of it.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous road trip! It's interesting to revisit places and note the changes, some good, some bad. I'm looking forward to seeing the owl vase!
ReplyDeleteYou and Sue know how to have a fantastic road trip. The sights and sounds of FL are unique. The "red" gas station is unlike anything around my parts. It would likely fail to meet local bylaws/regulations which are often in overreach mode.
ReplyDeleteVisiting nature reserves and beaches then sharing a meal together sounds good to me.
Checking out thrift stores and finding a treasure or two, or three... It is all good!
This sounds like a fantastic trip and I can't wait to see the owl. There's a lot of mid-century modern down there and I really like it! That's quite the gas station!
ReplyDeleteThis all sounds so wonderful. The red Circle K photo looks like something out of a horror movie. French toast with mango butter. Major yum! I want a big chicken.
ReplyDeleteDriving straight through the middle of old Florida from coast to coast is such a fun, nostalgic trip. Stumbling onto a vintage Murano glass owl in a tiny antique shop feels like the ultimate road trip win. That mid-century motel in Vero Beach looks like an absolute dream spot to unwind after a full day on the road.
ReplyDeleteThe Circle K is quite surreal. I'm not sure if I love it or fear it!
ReplyDeleteI know in certain shopping centres there is only blue light available in the restrooms as it makes it harder to find your veins and thus discouraging those who inject for "fun" - I do wonder at the red! I have just caught up on your whole Florida adventure thus far - sounds like a marvellous time.
ReplyDeleteThe red lighting at the service station is curious.
ReplyDeleteYou road trip sounds very pleasant and stress free.
Sounds fun...
ReplyDeleteYour road trip and dinner destination sounds perfect. I like the clock outside that bank building. Can't wait to see the Murano Owl. My oldest loves owls and is quite wise herself.
ReplyDelete