Monday, September 14, 2026
New Bedspread
Yesterday was the last day of the Royal Photographic Society's street photography exhibit in Mayfair. I had a stewarding shift at the gallery, from its opening at 11:30 a.m. to its closing at 3 p.m. We had pretty steady attendance (about 35 people overall) including my pals Colin and Shannon from the school where I used to work. I put an announcement about the show on Facebook and, lo and behold, they came. There are a host of legitimate ills associated with social media, but it does work!
At the end of the afternoon I brought my mounted photo home, and I must say, I'm happy to put this show behind me. Now we have Dave's nephew and his girlfriend coming to stay with us for several days beginning Thursday, and then I'm off to Florida.
While wandering around Mayfair I came across this building, obviously an old tube station. I don't remember ever seeing it before. It's about midway between the Green Park and Hyde Park Corner stations, on Down Street. Apparently it was only open for tube service from 1907 to 1932, and then used as a government shelter during the Blitz. Nowadays it's open for occasional tours, and I might try to do one of those at some point. Sounds pretty cool, doesn't it?
I grabbed a quick lunch at Pret a Manger, where the utensils were so tightly packed into a container on the counter that they made intriguing patterns.
On the home front, Dave and I got a new bedspread. The old one, which had pale green, gray and blue stripes, was at least ten years old and falling apart. Now we have a much brighter one which we actually really like, even though, as I told Dave, it's sort of "Laura Ingalls Wilder goes to Bombay."
I finished "Jackass 3" last night, mainly because we rented it and by golly I was going to get my money's worth. It made me laugh, I must admit, but it made me cringe too, and a few of the stunts are indescribably vile. I think I've had enough of that for a while, and possibly for the rest of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I OD’d on Jackass almost immediately. I love the bedspread, and your description is perfect. I do love the blue of the wall and seeing my cousin Brooke’s print! The utensils photo is art!
ReplyDeleteYeah, Jackass is most amusing in very small doses.
DeleteYou will be pleased to learn that I thoroughly approve of the new bedspread. Dave has excellent taste with regard to home decor and furnishings.
ReplyDeleteI'll have you know I chose the bedspread, though it is Dave-approved. :)
DeleteBright and pretty the new bedspread, a bit like Little House on the Prairie 🤔 and the cushion with the Queen's head stamps is also like something from the old days.
ReplyDeleteA nice post with nice things ♥ ♥ ♥
We've had that pillow with the stamps for 15 years, about as long as we've lived in England.
DeleteYour comment about the bedspread is so spot on it made me laugh out loud! I really love the blue wall, and with the new bedspread, everything is colour-coordinated so well.
ReplyDeleteA tour of the former tube station is exactly my kind of thing! Please go when you have the chance, and tell us everything about it!
I will definitely report back if and when I take that on!
DeleteThe old underground station looks fascinating.
ReplyDeleteThey have a very distinctive look, with that maroon tile, so you can tell one when you see it right away.
DeleteLove the bed spread. And the old tube station; I'd love to see what that's like inside.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like that café doesn't want anyone using their utensils since they pack them so tightly.
They were really crammed in there!
DeleteYour description of the bedspread is spot on -- but I love it! Fabulous colors, looks great with the blue wall, and the pillows are perfect with it. (Love the stamp pillow.) That's a great idea for the exhibition. And, that photo of the Pret utensils -- that's a favorite too. I was just reading a section in Peculiar London about different tube stations (and other spots) that no longer exist. Can't remember if Mayfair was one or not. Back to the book!
ReplyDeleteIt's actually called the Down Street tube station, I think, though it's in Mayfair.
DeleteI had to pause for a beat to identify what I was seeing with the forks and spoons photo.
ReplyDeleteGood! A worthwhile photo should make you pause! :)
DeleteOkay. I, too, love your description of your beautiful new quilt. You nailed it with that one. And the quilt really picks up the blue walls. Yes! I love it!
ReplyDeleteI don't recall y'all ever having houseguests. Bailey will have more laps.
It has been YEARS since anyone has stayed here. I think Dave's parents were the last, back in 2018.
DeleteI love the new bedspread! For some reason it reminds me of your Peace Corps stories (I guess it's the Bombay part of it). And yes, do go back & check out that station! I want to know what's in there!
ReplyDeleteI guess it does have a kind of Peace Corps feel! (Which is appropriate, given that one of the blankets we use on our bed I bought in Morocco when I lived there. It's a tattered wreck now but I keep it.)
DeleteI love that new bedspread and it looks fantastic with the new wall colour.
ReplyDeleteI've never seen Jackass and I think I'm good with that:)
Thanks, and I don't blame you. :)
DeleteI love that new bedspread. It's very colorful. At first I didn't recognize what those plastic utensils were. They make great patterns. A tour of an old tube station sounds very interesting.
ReplyDeleteThere are a couple of old tube stations in London that can be toured, apparently. There's another one on The Strand.
DeleteLike Meike, I laughed at your bedspread description. Love it (the bedspread and the comment).
ReplyDeleteWonder if you will be near that 'oh so charming' bank when you are in Florida if the probate problem hasn't been fixed by then? Take your copies, if you do. And the phone number of the banking commission... :)
Sadly, the bank is not based in Florida, though they do have local branches there. My siblings have tried to visit them to discuss these issues but they get turned away because no one there has the authority to deal with estates. For that we have to go through a central office in some far-flung locale. (I don't even know where it is.)
DeleteYour bedroom is so gorgeous. Glad that Laura finally made it out of the prairie and into
ReplyDeleteBombay. The walls of your room are the BEST blue ever. Peaceful.
Have a good trip to Florida, hope you will do something extraordinary besides taking care of business. Bailey is going to miss you, I reckon.
Yes, Laura appears to have traveled, which is surprising given how disparagingly she talked about Indians. (OK, different Indians.) I'm looking forward to spending lots of time with an old friend in Florida so that should be fun!
DeleteThat top picture is interesting, guy sets up his gallery on the street. He must know those paintings(?) out three a day.
ReplyDeleteWhat are those utensils made of? They don't look like plastic but like some biodegradable ones I've seen pictures of. I'm glad you like the bedspread. Not my style at all, all that red and orange.
The utensils are wooden and a kind of corn-starch compound, I think. Yeah, I wonder how often that guy has to take down his paintings and put them up again? He's one of several "art" vendors who line that stretch of road, though I use the term "art" loosely. I think it's mostly mass-produced stuff.
DeleteI guess you will have to return to that old tube station for a tour so you can share it with us. I really like your bedspread and think it goes so well with that lovely blue wall.
ReplyDeleteHave fun with your visitors!
Thank you! And yes, I promise to check out the tube station opportunities.
DeleteDid you import the bed quilt from India? Our bed linens are bland in comparison. Not totally, but almost. I do love your blue walls. The contrast between the walls and the quilt is striking.
ReplyDeleteNo, I got it from Amazon, and it's made in China, of course. It's called a "
DeleteQucover Quilted Patchwork Bedspread" sold by Caixiao. Allegedly cotton but I'm sure it has some poly in it too.
Amazon! Do they come in other colour combinations? And why am I asking you instead of looking for myself! I shall look for myself right away.
DeleteGreat bedspread! I've got a couple of old ones, which need to be recycled.
ReplyDeleteI have several old blankets that we need to get rid of and I'm not sure what to do with them.
DeleteYes, the faux patchwork bedspread! You were spared the prairie frills. Your life is all go. Remember to wave down at me when you're over the Eastern seaboard.
ReplyDeleteHa! I suppose it could have been frillier, that's true!
DeleteI assume you took the utensil photo from an aerial perspective. If that display had any lean to it, I'd be afraid of a Jenga situation in pulling one out!
ReplyDeleteEven sitting on a flat table it looked a little perilous.
DeleteThe bedspread looks great with the wall color! It's cheerful. You have a packed schedule. Hope all the visits go well. Those utensils make for an interesting photo. I would be afraid if I pulled one out, they would collapse like a stack of cards.
ReplyDeleteThey were definitely packed in there.
DeleteYou're a better man than I am if you could finish a Jackass movie, always amazed me that guys would do stuff like that. Looking at that pic of utensils makes me wonder how you could pull one out without collapsing the entire pile.
ReplyDeleteI actually do find the Jackass guys weirdly humorous, as vile and repulsive as a lot of it is. I think it's their sheer enthusiasm for their own stupidity.
DeleteThe bedspread looks good, and has a quite Indian look to it.
ReplyDeleteDown Street Tube Station is an interesting find. I suppose the station might be visible by passing trains.
Maybe, although I've never seen it! I'm not even sure what line it would be on -- Piccadilly, I'm guessing...?
DeleteThat tube tour sounds very cool. I think you should go to satiate MY curiosity. I love the vases on your window sill. I think that blue wall needs some art!
ReplyDeleteIt has a very large piece of art to the left, just outside the picture frame.
DeleteI like the latest bedspread....have fun visiting!
ReplyDeleteIt's Sue I'm going to see! Stay tuned for updates. :)
DeleteI like the new bedspread very much, it goes well with the blue wall.
ReplyDeleteIt matches better than I thought it might, fortunately!
Delete