Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Spice Bag


We've just seen Dave's nephew and his fiancee off to the airport. (Is there a word for a nephew's fiancee? Niece-in-law-to-be?) I've already deflated and put away the air mattress and as soon as Dave gets out of the shower and helps me put the dining room table back in place, I'll take down those awful drapes. And then we'll be more or less back to normal around here.

We had a busy day yesterday. Antavius (Dave's nephew) and Arjeta (his fiancee) left in the morning for the Tower of London. Yesterday was their last day and they asked for advice on what to see, and we both suggested the Tower -- I mean, Henry VIII's armor! The crown jewels! Graffiti from imprisoned noblemen! It's all there!

We met them afterwards on Tower Bridge and walked across the bridge and along South Bank.


It was a beautiful day. We couldn't have asked for better.


Our plan was to eat at Borough Market, a large outdoor market teeming with vendors, food trucks and people. We knew something was off when we arrived and found guys with hi-viz vests pressure-washing the paved areas. Turns out Borough Market is closed on Mondays! Who knew?!

We found a nearby pub and had a beer and a fairly middling lunch -- Dave had something called a "spice bag" that consisted of soggy fries and lumps of unidentifiable breaded meat in something akin to curry spices, literally served in a paper bag. He probably won't do that again.

From there we walked along the river to the Millennium Bridge and over to St. Paul's, where we caught the tube. Antavius and Arjeta went on to the British Museum for a quick look around, and Dave and I headed home.


This was the view looking downriver from the Millennium Bridge. The tide was out (obviously). Look at the dead shrubbery and trees in the planters along the river. This summer's drought was really brutal to a lot of plantings.

Now Dave is off to work and I have 24 hours to do some laundry, get things squared away here and get my own bag packed for Florida.


One of our neighbors threw this bouquet in their garden waste. It still looks pretty fresh to me -- I considered taking it, but decided a picture would suffice!

Oh, and I mailed my ballot off to the USA yesterday, so I have officially voted. I'll watch the Supervisor of Elections web site to make sure it's received and counted.

26 comments:

  1. It is all a bit of a rush for you but I hope your journey goes smoothly. Always vote it keeps the world turning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That skyline shot is incredible. The spice bag sounds disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your first photo of the tower and the city behind, old and new, sums up London.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Dave gave the nephew and fiancee a wonderful holiday and now I want to visit the Tower of London too. Mostly to see the crown jewels. Ugh on the "spice bag".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Antavius and Arjeta? Oh come off it Steve! I guess you are protecting their privacy but you could have come up with more believable names like Wayne and Chelsea or even Donald and Melania! Shame that Borough Market has a long and universally known tradition of closing on Mondays. I hope you have a hassle-free trip back to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. The third time I have tried to leave a comment! I loved the Tower of London! I hope you got the guide who speaks Wookie. He was hilarious...but DO NOT ask him where the crown jewels are!

    The Shard and the Walkie Talkie are such a surprise when seen for the first time. Such distinctive features!

    The spice bag doesn't even sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for warning us against the spice bag, should I ever happen to eat at that particular pub (unlikely but not impossible).

    A "quick look around" at The British Museum is a contradiction in itself :-) but of course I know what you mean.

    Happy sorting-out and packing for Florida, Steve - and well done on voting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I was reading this I thought across the bridge to the south bank, you will be near that great market. We have stayed at a Hilton a block south of the river front a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed looking at the photos you put here today 🩵 The second one is the best.

    "Niece-in-law-to-be?" - Good one 😀

    About the Helsinki pictures earlier on: if you ever need Helsinki pictures for anything, and you see something suitable on my blog, help yourself! No need to ask even. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for voting! That's early. My ballot hasn't arrived yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could vote already so all these terrible attack advertisements stretching the truth (or outright lies) about both sides would end. I don't watch television live anymore because of them but my normal YouTube channels are just as bad or worse these days. Have a safe journey to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good on you for voting!!
    Safe travels across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always surprised when I see downtown London. I always expect it to look old but of course, it's a big city now with modern buildings...
    Dave's nephew and fiancee have fancy names. Where do they live?
    Wishing you safe travels and thanks so much for voting!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. London always surprises me with the juxtaposition of the ancient and the modern. I suppose a lot of European cities are like that but I've only been to London and Paris. It also still amazes me that the Thames has tides.
    You're awfully busy for someone who is retired:)
    Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a busy day! I have admit, that spice bag thing sounds pretty awful. I'm going to compare your skyline photo with the ones I took last year. It looks like there are one or two new buildings that have popped up in the last year.
    I'm glad you bot your ballot off. I'm going to check today to see when ours will be mailed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How does that work in the midterms when people are voting for their state's representatives and senators? It's not like you live in any of the states. Who do you vote for? Unusual names for your visitors. Dave's meal served in a paper bag? Did he have to tear it open to eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a home of record as a dual citizen. My daughter's state is Pennsylvania.

      Delete
  17. Wait , You Passed Up On Flowers ?? Like Healthy Flowers ?? Oh , The Horror

    Stay Gorgeous ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a few others have said, London is so interesting in its mixture of the modern and the ancient. And it was indeed a beautiful day for sightseeing.
    Why would anyone throw those flowers away? Perhaps they were leaving on a trip and didn't want to return to a dead bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I probably would have ordered the spice bag too - I'm sorry it wasn't as good as it sounds like it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You made a great final day for your guests. The Tower of London is a must see.
    The tide change (high to low) at the Thames is striking. The views are lovely and your photos are excellent. I especially like the long view.
    Safe travels to FL. The airlines shut down yesterday and the backlogs are there this morning. Hopefully you will have a smooth flight and the issue is resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those flowers do look too nice to throw out! You showed the nephew and niece-to-be an excellent time. Dave's lunch would give me a stomach ache. Also I first read Dave's nephew's name as Antivirus.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great flowers. I might have brought it home! They're still in great shape. Those two were lucky to have you guys in their corner. The photos are really beautiful -- you had such perfect weather for their last day. Sounds like you have a busy one! Keep watching the mail when you arrive. Package is due on the 28th!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't imagine throwing out flowers that still look so good - especially if they paid for them. Store bought flowers are not cheap! Hope you have a hassle free trip!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are a good host being tour guide.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You acquitted your hosting duties very well.
    They look like flowers that will last for a few weeks. Maybe the person is just over them after a week.

    ReplyDelete