Sunday, September 27, 2026

Thrifting at the Beach


Here I am on Anna Maria Island, where the water is clear and the beach morning glories grow in profusion. Surely it's one of the prettiest places on the planet, at least when there are no hurricanes.


I left my family's house north of Tampa bright and early yesterday morning and had a pleasant drive down. Visiting at this time of year is ideal because the winter tourist season hasn't started yet and the roads are still passable.

I had a happy rendezvous with my college friend Sue, who was out on her routine morning walk -- Sue walks miles for exercise -- and we explored a waterfront wildlife preserve, watching fiddler crabs scurry in the mud below the boardwalk. It's great to see Sue, one of my oldest friends, and one of those people who I can pick up with right away as if I last saw her the day before. We went to breakfast on Manatee Beach, where this was our view:


Not too shabby, right?!

Then we headed out on some errands that included adventures in thrift stores. We discovered a really nice Goodwill used-book store on Longboat Key (where I bought nothing because I don't need to be schlepping around more books, but Sue got some great finds).


Then we went to the big Goodwill store in Bradenton, possibly my favorite Goodwill on the planet, where I found this fantastic rooster. If I were closer to Lloyd I'd have bought it for Mary Moon (who is probably relieved I didn't). I wish I'd put something next to it for scale because it was quite large. I did buy myself a little ceramic bowl, a slightly lumpy and misshapen handmade project with goldfish painted on it and signed "Izzy R." I love it.

Then we headed to another thrift store -- a bust -- and then up into central Bradenton where we had a drink at a fantastic bar and pizza restaurant on the roof of a downtown hotel.

As we were leaving, we got into an elevator with two young guys, one of whom was saying to his friend, "It was a choice between..." and then trailed off, waiting for a more private moment. Sue said half-jokingly, "I want to know what the choice was!" and I said, "Me too!" So the guy proceeded to tell us a remarkably sordid ten-minute story involving an encounter with a stripper, the choice being whether to get involved with her or not -- which was not at all what we expected! Be careful what you ask in elevators.


I never knew this restaurant existed, so it was a nice find, the elevator conversation notwithstanding. Maybe I'll take Dave and his parents there one of these days. It overlooks the marina and the three bridges that carry US 41 and the railroad across the Manatee River.


The Sunshine Skyway (which I'd driven over that morning) and even downtown St. Petersburg (not in the photo above) were visible on the horizon, beyond the waterfront houses of Palmetto.

Last night we had a light dinner at Sue's and this morning we're going to head out for a long walk. I know I am way behind on my comment-answering, but I swear I am reading and appreciating them all!

28 comments:

  1. I could not see any manatees either on Manatee Beach or in Manatee River. How splendid to meet up with Sue again. I know what you mean about being so comfortable with an old friend that you can just pick up where you left off - even though years may have passed by. Please could we have a nice photo of you and Sue together? (With her permission of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, too.
      Friends like Sue are so precious!

      Delete
  2. That picture of the building with the three palms is quite frame-able, and screams Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nearly 50 years ago a friend of mine was in a bar in Jacksonville, watching the "entertainer" dance on the bar, he looked up at her and said "Hi gorgeous, why don't you go home with me?" An hour or so later he went to leav and she was standing next to his car. It took him about a month to get her out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a wonderful time -- and good weather, too. That morning glory beach is a stunner. And isn't it wonderful to have a friend like Sue where there's none of that edging into picking up -- you just do. It looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid place to have come from, it must invoke memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures! The Sunshine Skyway is, for me, an extremely scary thing to drive over. You feel like you're going to just plunge down into nothingness when you reach the top. And of course, there was that tragic day when that was exactly what happened to some people.
    As to the rooster- I think I probably appreciate the thought far more than I would have appreciated the actual rooster! So thank you for that!
    Finally- I would have been in heaven, hearing that story. You know me. I live for that stuff.
    Enjoy your time with your dear friend. The best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those flowers on the beach in your first photo. Glad you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful views! I love that first one with the flowers on the beach and that view from above is fantastic. Sounds like you had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sky, the sand, and the water are quite beautiful. No wonder people flock to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you had a wonderful visit to Florida. I loved every one of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous photos and thanks for letting me travel vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think driving across the Sunshine Skyway might be a bit nerve-wracking. Perhaps somewhat like driving across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful views! This does seem like the perfect time to visit Florida. Since I dislike extreme heat and humidity, I would enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn‘t know flowers like these can grow on nothing but sand, which seems such an inhospitable habitat for them.
    The elevator conversation sounds like something out of a Tarrantino film.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another Beauty !! So Stoked For Ya

    Travel On ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a fantastic rooster. We have one we found in an antique store in a town near Seattle. He lives on top of the kitchen cabinets now. Florida is certainly a beautiful place, when there are no hurricanes. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE that choice story. Glad Sue asked.

    So beautiful there, even if it IS Florida. Maybe the IDEA of Florida will also one day again be beautiful.

    I would have snatched that rooster right up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would have listed to the story with great interest. Stories like that don't necessarily replicate all young men's thinking, but it is nice to know how some of them tick. It sounds like you had a fantastic day out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Sunshine skyway terrifies me too. Like Mary, I remember the old tragedy. It sounds like you had a pretty perfect day, catching up and treasure hunting.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  20. Visiting with Sue and touring the island with a beautiful white sandy beach and perfect blue sky with morning glories blooming happily is lovely.
    The thrift stores are always fun, never knowing what treasures might be found. The views of all the boats and long docks that even accommodate sailboats look terrific.
    The weather seems great. It is a perfect time to be in FL.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was surprised to see the morning glories on the beach! I envy you a friend like Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Come up here next time- we will go to every thrift shop and buy all of the things!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the rooster, but I love the beaches more.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My sister-in-law collects chickens of all kind and I have bought one similar to that for her in the past. My favorite however was a chicken that looked like it was built by Tiffany since it looked like one of their lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I got up so early yesterday morning that you hadn't even posted yet! And then forgot to come back later. Anyway, I'm really glad you're getting this lovely break with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never worry about being behind in comment replies, Steve, as most folks don't comment on comments. or do so sparingly, like myself. And, you are obviously having a great time catching up with family and long-time friends, so keep on enjoying and sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete