I played tour guide yesterday, taking Dave's nephew and his fiancee around Westminster for some sightseeing. We walked from Covent Garden in a circle through Soho, and then down Whitehall to Parliament Square, and then over the Westminster Bridge to the London Eye. That was a fair amount of scenery for a single day!
Along the way we passed the newly-unveiled sculpture on the fourth plinth in Trafalgar Square, "Lady in Blue" by Tschabalala Self. It's described on the fourth plinth web page as an homage to a young, metropolitan everywoman.
"Lady in Blue is a woman that many can relate to. She is not an idol to revere or a historic figurehead to commemorate. She is a woman striding forward into our collective future with ambition and purpose. She is a Londoner, who represents the city’s spirit."
I do love her energy. She's very dynamic.
We ate lunch at a dumpling place in Chinatown that was delicious, ordering a variety of little plates that added up to a meal.
Then, last night, we ordered pizza and watched "Chimp Fever," an HBO documentary that the young folks recommended. It's a mind-blower in the tradition of "Tiger King," about a woman who is ordered to surrender the chimpanzees she's keeping in a Missouri shelter to PETA so they can be re-homed at a more suitable sanctuary. Of course she feels she's being wronged and she holds one of the chimps back, keeping it in a cage in her basement. She's quite a character herself, sporting wigs and false eyelashes and a Trumpian spray tan, and the show explores her devotion to the chimps, as delusional as it may be. We watched two episodes and it was fascinating but also kind of sad. We'll certainly finish it, though.


Lady in blue was on Magnons blog a few days ago and on second seeing I'm still not a fan.
ReplyDeleteInteresting. I went over and read his blog, and it seems there is a fair amount of negative opinion about it. I'm surprised, honestly, but to each his own. That's how art works, right?
DeleteSounds like a great day all around for you and your guests.
ReplyDeleteIt was indeed!
DeleteWhat an interesting sculpture. I can see they mean well. You can't please everyone (as no doubt that young woman will learn)
ReplyDeleteI suppose any artist is used to criticism. They just have to do their thing and be true to their vision, right?
DeleteI love the sculpture and see what she represents there..but it certainly is bringing out prejudices from all directions!!
ReplyDeleteYou have to get it over to people that art isn't just supposed to be "nice"..many art works are made to make you think and reflect!
I'm surprised at some of the negative perceptions about it. Some people seem to think it's a stereotype, but given that the sculptor is a black woman that doesn't seem too problematic.
DeleteGlad you and the guests had an enjoyable time and the lady in blue is a strong figure...
ReplyDeleteYes, she does project an urban strength and purpose, I think.
DeleteI'm with you on the blue lady, I like her, she has a quality about her, a modern woman.
ReplyDeleteExactly!
DeleteI don't like "Lady in Blue" - especially in that setting. It is so obviously "right on". Fortunately, it will not be there forever. Your two young guests are lucky to have the free services of such a knowledgeable and erudite city guide.
ReplyDeleteWhat does "obviously 'right on'" mean? Too "woke"?
DeleteBig, bold, and dressed in Blue. Art that has many people talking. My first call when I was manning the intake line at a civil legal aid office started out with, "you've gotta help me, they're trying to take away my lion!"
ReplyDeleteHa! Now THAT's a call you don't get every day!
DeleteHmmm. Chimp Fever sounds like something I might not be able to handle. So nice to have visitors that enjoy walking. How lucky for them to have you as a guide. I hadn’t heard of Lady in Blue. I had to reread one line. I thought you went to a dumping place!
ReplyDeleteOh, you scared me. I thought maybe I had a typo in my sentence. :)
DeleteShe's got purpose and that's a good thing.
ReplyDeleteExactly! I agree.
DeleteI resisted Tiger King when it came out and everyone was raving about it but eventually out of boredom one day I watched one episode. I got hooked and binge watched the rest of it. I have to admit I'm like everyone else. I see a trainwreck about to happen and I just have to watch until it does.
ReplyDeleteIf you liked "Tiger King" I think you'd also like "Chimp Fever." It's by the same director, I believe.
DeleteYou're a great tour guide! Buildings, art, food, movies. Maybe I can book.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely! My tours are cheap, too! LOL
DeleteIt sounds like a wonderful sight seeing day. They couldn't have a better tour guide. That statue is really striking. I like it!
ReplyDeleteIt's especially great when we're looking out across Trafalgar Square, contrasted with all the other staid official-looking statues.
DeleteThe Lady in Blue, I love that she's black. Totally apropos in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteShe is very London, for sure!
DeleteI could not love Lady in Blue more. What is wrong with people that they can't see what and who she represents? I love her strong, full body. I love her determination, her jewelry, her heels. She is at once a reminder of The Mother and of The Doer of All Things. She gives life. She is not afraid to deal with life.
ReplyDeleteShe reminds me that so many of the first people in our American government to face Trump head-on and without fear are women of color. They have faced adversity their entire lives and will not be silenced.
And beyond that, sounds like y'all are having a pretty darn good time. Keep it up!
A terrific summation of the sculpture and the energy it represents! Yes, I think she says something about how to address our troubled world, and who is best equipped to do it.
DeleteTouring the city with your guests sounds like fun. You know the city and they are fortunate to have you show them around.
ReplyDeleteLady in Blue is striking. Like it or not, it opens eyes and encourages evaluation and thought.
I guess in a way it's good that she has prompted some debate, but frankly I'm surprised anyone doesn't like her. She seems like such a positive figure to me.
DeleteThat plinth never fails! Lady in Blue is superb. You are the best host and guide ! Nice to know the touristy places that please. Can't beat dumplings! Hearing that Parliment is going to debate Brexit again , perhaps rejoining the EU was the best news of the day! fingers crossed. Good nations removing the USA as ally or friend- more enemy than anything. The world is waking up!
ReplyDeletecan't bear the thought or reality of a chimp kept in a cage in the basement of a mad woman. How has that one chimp not been re-homed?
DeleteWell, we haven't gotten to the end of the show so I don't think the chimp will remain in the basement. Stay tuned! I had not heard the Brexit news -- I need to read up on that, but if we do indeed reconsider the EU that would be the best news of the decade.
DeleteWhat's not to like about the Lady in Blue. She's bold and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteMy monitor went blank this morning so I am using my son's laptop and it is so tricky!
Agreed -- bold and beautiful! It's hard to have to use an unfamiliar keyboard. I hope your monitor is easily repaired!
DeleteI guess I'm missing something because I don't see where your commenters are getting the negative reviews of the sculpture (other than the ones in the comments here).
ReplyDeleteYeah, I don't really see any negatives either. Apparently there was some "fake news" going around that she went up instead of a statue of Queen Elizabeth II, but that is apparently untrue.
DeleteI saw a picture of this in the NYTimes and was hoping you would find your way down there for more pics. I like it!
ReplyDeleteI didn't even realize it had been erected, but it grabbed my eye the minute I turned the corner into Trafalgar Square. It's a really bright, bold sculpture for that space and I bet it will be a crowd-pleaser.
DeleteThat's a lovely sculpture with such movement and energy. It sounds like you've been enjoying the visit and thank you for spelling fiancee correctly. So many don't understand that a fiance is male and fiancee female. (I know I didn't include the accent marks--too lazy)
ReplyDeleteYeah, I was going to say, I'm really NOT spelling it correctly without the accent marks but I can't be bothered either. LOL
DeleteIt's great to tour with a local ,like yourself. You know what's out there and how to get there.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny -- I know more than I think I do!
DeleteLady in Blue is superb, thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteGlad you like her! :)
DeleteI like the Lady In Blue, what a fabulous dress! I know I wouldn't like Chimp Fever, it would remind me of a 1980s movie "Project X" where chimpanzees are taken by "Nasa?" and trained to fly planes.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, I kind of remember that movie. Don't think I ever saw it, though.
Delete