Thursday, September 3, 2026

Legalese


Is it possible to have too many pictures of sunflowers? I say no.

I just woke from the weirdest dream. Somehow Dave and I were going to get married -- and of course we already are, so maybe this was taking place in the past. But I suddenly realized in the dream that I was already married, to a friend from college, and then realized I was also married to a former boyfriend. So I had not one but two husbands already! This was not a good feeling. I felt literally sick at the thought of all the paperwork and legalese I would have to endure to get me out of this fix before I could marry the person I really wanted. And then, thank goodness, I woke up married to the right person after all.

Dreams are so strange. I have noticed that on nights when I don't have a glass of wine or two with dinner, my dreams are more vivid. Or maybe I just remember them better. I didn't drink at all yesterday (given the pub outing the day before), and I think that contributed to my weird dream state. Maybe my REM sleep is better when I'm completely sober.

My dread of legalese may stem from the fact that I'm still wrestling with my stepmother's estate. Remember how I had to get some bank documents notarized a few weeks ago in order to get the bank to release the money I'm entitled to as a beneficiary of her accounts? Well, I submitted the forms and waited, and waited, and waited. I finally called the bank on Tuesday and asked what's up, and they said the notary stamp by itself was not sufficient -- I also needed an apostille (basically a certificate verifying the identity of the notary, as I understand it). So I'm getting that now, but I felt like saying (sarcastically), "Well, thanks for contacting me and telling me that!" My siblings and I have a theory that the bank is making this as difficult as possible so they can hold onto her money as long as possible.

I also called our own bank over a £45 transaction on our account from June that neither Dave nor I recognize. I got them to tell me a little more about it and we still don't recognize it, so I think I'm going to dispute it. It's on Dave's card, which may get cancelled but c'est la vie. I'm surprised it took me this long to notice it but with all our traveling and other excitement this summer I plead distraction. It's from a company called Avori, and there appear to be three such firms -- one focusing on foot and skin care, one on bedding, and one on hair care devices -- and neither of us have any memory or evidence of purchasing anything there. Dave even e-mailed the most likely Avori and they said they have no record of a transaction from him. So that's weird.

It's also weird that there's been no suspicious activity since on our accounts. You would think a scammer, having gotten away with one transaction, would pull more. But that doesn't appear to have happened. I do think it's possible that Dave ordered something online, possibly from a retailer who trades under a different name, and then forgot about it. There's just no way to know for sure.


In the afternoon I took the dog to the cemetery, where we found this mysterious backbone lying in the grass. Finding bones in a cemetery is always disconcerting, but this is clearly from an animal of some type. Of course Bailey promptly tried to roll on top of it and I pulled her back at the last minute, which is why she's rolling off to the side in the photo above. Google tells me the bones are from an ungulate like a sheep or deer. What either would be doing in Hampstead Cemetery is anybody's guess.


We passed this truck on our walk home. Someone didn't plan their lettering very well, did they?


And on Tuesday night, when I was at the concert, Dave sent me this hilarious picture of Bailey crashed out on our couch. She clearly wasn't anxious about my absence!

51 comments:

  1. I am surprised the notary stamp didn't already come with the identifier as well as being surprised the bank didn't tell you it was needed until you phoned them. I rarely remember my dreams, knowing only that I did dream. Bailey looks blissful on the sofa. Your sunflowers photos are very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the notary's stamp identified the notary, but then the apostille is needed to verify that the notary is genuine. It's like an extra layer of verification, used for notaries in foreign countries.

      Delete
  2. Is it possible to have too many pictures of sunflowers? I say yes.
    I have got a new nickname for you Steve - it's Motte! When out for a walk with the dog, passing historians will gasp - "Oh my gosh! It's Motte and Bailey!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up "motte and bailey" to get your joke! I thought maybe it was a comedy team, like Laurel and Hardy.

      Delete
  3. I'm more inclined to remember dreams if I haven't had a drink, but dreams seem pointless to me. Sometimes you can reconcile a dream with something that's happened, but mostly I can't, and they just make no sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't put much significance in them. It's like the brain firing neurons at random.

      Delete
  4. Bailey is so cute. Really settling in well, isn't he? That was a weird dream. If you hadn't woken up and the dream continued, I wonder how many more spouses you might have ended up with. Poor Dave, stuck with a bigamist.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that picture of Bailey napping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hardly ever remember my dreams, but funnily enough I recently experienced something similar to your dream. A blogging friend made a picture of me as Snow White with the prince, and then one night I woke up worried of the bigamy thing 😬 Then I remembered it wasn't true. I don't need a prince, I have my spouse. I think I'll start calling him Milord.
    The picture of the sunflower is really beautiful 🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your spouse will be very happy to be elevated to royalty! (Or nobility.)

      Delete
  7. Whatever Bailey is doing, she does it wholeheartedly, to include napping. Does she snore?

    My daughter has had many go arounds with the banks there. Many of them involve being told what to do, and then after doing it. Being told that it needs to be handled differently. One transaction literally took months. She has a theory that deep in the basement of banks lives a sub-species of humans. She calls them lizard people. Their whole purpose in life is to vex humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to call Olga "One-hundred-percent dog" because whatever she was doing, she was all in. Bailey is the same, but surprisingly, she doesn't snore!

      I am dealing with lizard people, for sure.

      Delete
  8. I'm a notary & I've never heard of an apostille! Of course, I just use mine to notarize documents at work. That is annoying that the bank didn't contact you. You're probably right about them dragging their feet - but also (at risk of sounding like an old man in a hat) customer service ain't what it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think apostilles are only used to verify notaries from foreign countries. I never saw them in the USA either.

      Delete
  9. I've never had to provide a notary's certificate in settling estates so I tend to side with you that they just want to hold onto the money for a little while longer.

    I've made purchases that I have forgotten about only to discover later what it was. Usually like you said, it was a quick purchase online where I didn't note the name of the company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you've never even had to deal with notaries, and here I am jumping through all these hoops!

      Often the company name on the bill is not the same as the company where you made the purchase.

      Delete
  10. I've had banks do this over a house closing, for months on end. Until my lawyer sent notice that we were about to take legal action against them Then suddenly they were able to act. Hmm. They scheduled the closing for early the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have toyed with getting a lawyer involved, but I'm due to get so little money that it hardly seems worth it -- except for the principle.

      Delete
  11. I feel the same way about any company that owes me money, they don't bother contacting you in the hopes that they won't have to pay the money out, not just banks. Maybe it's cynical but it's been my experience.
    I had a purchase from a restaurant here that I know I have never been to. Then I realized it runs the little coffee bar in the library. Chips for Jack. Oops.
    Bailey looks very happy. She ended up in a most excellent home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she's pretty content, yeah. :) I share your cynicism!

      Delete
  12. Absolutely A Classic Wet Nose And Bottom Teeth - Great Capture There Mr Dave

    Sleep On ,
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. It took forever to settle my Mom's estate. Also, have you noticed that banks have fewer people working in them now? That's what has happened here.
    Did you check your June posts to see if they mentioned something you bought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! In fact that's one of the main reasons I keep this blog -- to keep track of minutiae like this. But I didn't mention any purchases (and it was on Dave's card, which I would have been much less likely to mention).

      Delete
  14. It took me over 18 months to settle my father's estate, at times it seemed impossible. The US Embassy might be able to provide a US domestic notary - that might help. I got so frustrated with one securities firm that I pulled my accounts and his and moved them to another firm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not keeping any of this money with the bank where it is now, and that's probably one of the reasons they're dragging their feet. I could go to the embassy but it requires appointments and security checks and it's not convenient.

      Delete
  15. As I told Mr. Moon this morning, "You didn't leave me in my dream this morning so I'm in a good mood!" Generally, that's what my dreams involve. My husband of 42 years is leaving me. Strangely enough, though, there was another man in my dream this morning who I did used to be involved with (I was insane at the time, trust me) and he was insisting we were married and I kept thinking, "No. No. NO!" It was Mr. Moon I wanted to be married to so- once again, Steve, we are going through some parallel experiences of a sort.
    Your life will be so much more peaceful when that estate is settled and disbursed. I do believe you're right in that the bank doesn't want to let go of that money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how our dream lives are working in tandem!

      Delete
  16. I wonder what causes us to have vivid dreams like that every now and then. I still remember one I had years ago where I was visiting a house I once lived in and there were my dogs who have been gone for over 30 years. I had this horrible feeling of shame for leaving them there and how they survived all those years was a true mystery. Anyway, we all lots of dreams that fleet away after we awake but every now and then we have one that sticks with us and causes stress.
    I need to start thinking about how I can make the transfer of money easier when I'm gone. Not that I have much to money to worry about but I would like it to be taken care of smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon -- it's important for all of us to leave estates as clearly organized as possible. Do you have a financial advisor? They could help with that.

      Delete
  17. Oh yeah, that legal issue and the dream makes sense. But how stupid is that for them not to notify you that your paperwork needed more back-up? Interesting about the VISA snafu. Hope they come through. I could imagine city deer these days. Never could before but things have changed and a cemetery ... sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, I've never seen a deer in this area. If it's a deer it's a very, very small or young one. I tend to think it's maybe a lamb, some bit of a butchered animal. How it wound up in the cemetery is anyone's guess.

      Delete
  18. That’s Bailey exhausted from the stress of your absence.

    Argh, banks. I had to find an apositle in Fuengirola for some things involved with my mother’s estate. I’m so glad all that is over! Wishing you success soon. Apparently, you can never have too many sunflower photos. I just looked it up. We’re awaiting a new bank card for SG. Someone had his number but not his pin and tried to buy €300 of lottery tickets... or maybe they tried to withdraw 300 at an atm in a lottery office. Either way, it’s now a headache to be without that card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as you'll read in my newest post, the bank has now thrown up an additional roadblock. This is never-ending! Thank goodness they didn't have SG's pin number.

      Delete
  19. Your sunflower is beautiful. Due to lack of rain my sunflowers did not bud and there will be no flowers.
    Moving money especially overseas seems burdened with legalize. I, too, wonder why the bank did not tell you about the second authorization requirement. Self-interest! Sounds about right to me.
    I find AmEx the best company for tracking charges and flagging a scam or unusual charge. They also investigate and restore funds from an inappropriate charge as well as issue a new card.
    Bailey is living the good life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunflowers are supposed to be so good for hot, sunny areas. And yet mine wilt almost every day! They're not as hardy as I thought.

      Delete
  20. I go through stages where I dream a lot, really weird dreams that I sort of remember and not dreaming. Or at least not remembering that I dreamed. Most the time I wake up and think wtf was that about.

    I'd question google and ungulate. It's far too tiny to be a sheep or deer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banks and lawyers. When my aunt died (she lived in small town east Texas) her lawyer handled her estate. They paid off any outstanding debts right away but refused to release the funds to the beneficiaries so that they could keep charging her a monthly fee. After months I finally called them and hired another lawyer in town to do the final paperwork to get the money released. It all went to her nieces' and nephew's kids. My kids and nieces got it.

      Delete
    2. I thought the same thing about the bones -- too small. But then I thought maybe it's a lamb, one that was butchered. Why the bones would be in the cemetery is anyone's guess unless an animal pulled them out of the trash and brought them there. (It's not really lamb season, though.)

      Delete
  21. Personally, I don't think you can ever have too many photos of sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I must say that the rug by your dog and sofa is fabulous! Wise choice!
    When credit card goes wonky we always get a new one even if the charge is a couple of bucks. Just to be safe.
    Dreams can be so bizarre , yours sounds likie a decision dream and the paper work involved - nightmare.
    I hope that I die before Dennis, is all I can say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the rug! Yeah, I'm still on the fence about the Avori charge. We'll see.

      Delete
  23. One cannot have too many photos of sunflowers, especially if a bee is included. Great shot.

    Bailey on couch brings back Olga memories, in a good way. It's great to see another blissful pup on your couch.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- I'm glad to see another snoozing dog around the house. :)

      Delete
  24. It's rather stressful when a mysterious transaction occurs. The scam here is a phone call that money has been taken from and account . they want to get you on the line and get information from you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. If I have something to eat right before bed (like cheese), I have very vivid dreams. I need to keep a closer eye on transactions in my accounts. I can be a little too trusting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese? Interesting! I haven't noticed a connection in that way but maybe I should try to pay more attention!

      Delete