Friday, September 18, 2026
Preparing for Guests
This is a close-up of one of the old zinnias in the garden. You gotta love the multitude of colors in those petals! It's like a floral tequila sunrise.
Dave's nephew and his fiancee arrived yesterday afternoon from Spain, where they've been staying for several days for a friend's wedding. They'll be with us through the weekend and into the beginning of next week, until the day before I leave for Florida.
Of course that meant I was a cleaning whirlwind yesterday. I started by doing sensible things like cleaning the bathtub, but then I would up working on progressively unlikely tasks like cleaning the dusty floor behind the toilets and cleaning the front of all the kitchen cabinets. I know my guests aren't going to inspect the floor behind the toilets, but you know how it goes -- you clean one thing and the thing next to it looks even filthier, so then you have to clean that too.
I also had to re-hang the drapes in the dining room to turn it back into a serviceable guest bedroom. You may remember I took them down in April 2025 because we never used them (they were always open) and they looked terrible. Dave argued that it gets dark early enough that we didn't need drapes, but I said, "You can't have guests sleeping in a room on the street with no drapes." No woman, especially, is going to go for that. (I can hear my mother telling me so.)
So I got up on a chair and managed a fumbling semblance of re-hanging the drapes. Several of the little plastic hooks broke and there aren't enough functional hooks remaining on the curtain rod, so the drapes sag in places and we have to pin them closed, giving the overall effect of a decrepit drug den in a posh neighborhood. But hey, it's only for five days.
I also carefully made the bed, which Bailey promptly trashed by climbing all over the pillows and building a comfortable nest.
Last night we went to the Spaniards Inn, a historic pub next to Hampstead Heath, where foxes were noisily fighting and/or mating in the dark garden of the building next door. Welcome to London!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I am sure your guests are enjoying their stay at your place, and in London, sagging drapes or not! Of course I wouldn't want to get undressed or dressed in front of a street-facing window at ground floor level with no curtains, but you won't find any curtains in my entire flat (which is one floor up from the ground). When I want to shut out the light (or people looking in, which they don't) I can pull the blinds. And I could always undress or dress in my bathroom, which has only a small window facing the gardens, where nobody can ever look in unless they stand on a high ladder.
ReplyDeleteHaving a flat on an upper floor is always a plus when it comes to open windows! We never closed our drapes when we lived in our fifth-floor flat.
DeleteJust like staying in a five star hotel!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure they are just enjoying your company and don't care less about sagging curtains.
I don't think the guests care, but I do worry a bit about how it looks from the street. In either case, though, it's only for a few days.
DeleteThey’ll be talking about those sagging curtains for the rest of their lives, but at least they’ll find nothing behind the toilet. That photo of Bailey is priceless. Have a great time.
ReplyDeleteHa! Having a clean zone around the toilet is of paramount importance for guests, I'd say!
DeleteI have got news for you. Plastic curtain hooks are very cheap and can be purchased from a wide range of shops including B&Q, Dunelm, Home Bargains and B&M.
ReplyDeleteI actually have two packages of metal ones, but even if I'd replaced the broken hooks on the curtains, there aren't enough things for them to hook into on the rod. I'd have to buy a bunch of those too. (I don't even know what they're called.)
DeleteI am always amazed when you talk about foxes living in London. It never would have dawned on me that it could be possible! I know what you mean about cleaning for guests as I do the exact same thing as you.
ReplyDeleteThat photo of Bailey is adorable!
We saw a fox on the sidewalk as we were walking home from the tube last night. They're everywhere!
DeleteYou are definitely a more considerate host than me, I tend to notice the mucky bits and dust AFTER my guests have left and have a good clean up then. I love Bailey's nest, she's a clever girl.
ReplyDeleteHa! Well, I usually clean afterwards too, but that's less about the accumulated dust of ages. :)
DeleteShe looks comfortable in her nest.
ReplyDeleteTOO comfortable! LOL
DeleteThe sounds of fighting foxes may not have been what your foreign relatives were expecting in London. But at least they are staying in a posh area.
ReplyDeleteIt's not even that posh, really, but it's nice enough that a drug den would stand out. LOL
DeleteI like living in a house without many drapes or curtains. But then we have a lot more space and trees between neighbors which makes a difference.
ReplyDeleteYeah, if you're in a woodsy location or have a big piece of land, the privacy is sort of automatic.
DeleteEnjoy your visitors. It's nice that you have space for them to stay.
ReplyDeleteWe do, though it takes some reorganizing!
DeleteI don't have curtains in my guest room. Or actually, anywhere else in my house, now that I think of it, except my bedroom. But anyone looking in would have to be creeping in the back yard, so I don't worry about it too much. On a street with a front view, yeah. That zinnia -- Wow. That Bailey! She knows who's in charge.
ReplyDeleteBut you do have them in your bedroom -- I think a bedroom requires curtains or window coverings of some sort. Maybe not a guest room, especially if it's used infrequently.
DeleteI would want drapes over the windows, not for people looking in, but to keep out the light. I like a very dark room.
ReplyDeleteThat flower photo is beautiful.
Yeah, that's definitely another consideration! And these are blackout curtains, too, even darker than the ones in our own bedroom.
DeleteYour beautiful zinnia carries the same colors as your new bedspread. Which is to say- beautiful, both. And Bailey didn't trash the bed. She made it lovelier. Great nest building skills.
ReplyDeleteYou have perfectly described why having guests makes me so anxious. There's NO WAY I can clean behind and under everything in this house. Just no way. It would take a team of cleaners a week to really get it done.
I am sure your guests are just incredibly grateful to have a sweet and welcoming place to stay while they visit London. And by the way- I love your description of the decrepit drug den in a posh neighborhood. We've all been there.
What? We haven't?
Oh. Sorry.
Well, I didn't clean everything. If they go moving stuff around on tabletops and checking for dust they'll be in for a rude awakening. LOL
DeleteThey'd be up the proverbial creek here. No curtains at all, though we do have mini-blinds on some of the windows. But we are out in the country on a quiet street and vacant lots on either side.
ReplyDeleteWell, blinds basically serve the same purpose as curtains. If we had blinds on that window I wouldn't worry.
DeleteThe color combinations in your zinnia are beautiful. Layered colors arranged like only nature can are awe inspiring.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you are prepared for the arrival of family. Preparing/cleaning/organizing seems to always be lots of work when one thing leads to another.
Exactly -- I thought it would be just a few tasks but one thing led to another!
DeleteThe same thing happens to me in the yard. I keep on finding things that need to be done.
ReplyDeleteIt keeps you fit, though, right?!
DeleteThe pillow! That was a good find! Dressing in the dark is better than drapes I reckon. Never been a fan of drapes , myself. But is is so nice of you to be that considerate, just in case.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I love that pillow! I don't like the look of drapes but they serve their purpose.
DeleteThe zinnia - a floral tequila sunrise, indeed. Enjoy your company. The drapes will provide a nice story for them.
ReplyDeleteWe got a good laugh out of it -- having to use a clothespin to pin them closed.
DeleteDoes Dave know that when it's dark outside, if you have a light on then anyone outside can see precisely what's inside? So, yes, no woman would be comfortable changing or anything in a room with no curtains. Plus, like a number of other folks have said, I'd want to block out the light!
ReplyDeleteYeah, a sleeping (and changing) room definitely needs a window covering. :)
DeleteLiving on the 5th floor with a river and parking lot separating our mill apt building apartment building from another one, we have never had need for curtains. But then, we also have never had guests stay, so did well to make yours feel more comfortable, Steve. And with cleaning and tidying up, one thing does lead to another chore. The zinnia petals are spectacularly colorful.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, that's nice, to have some elevation and also some distance! I would keep my windows unobstructed in those circumstances too.
DeleteBailey thought you made a spot for her!
ReplyDeleteClearly! LOL
DeleteI don't envy your last minute cleaning job. Enjoy your guests.
ReplyDelete"Tequila sunrise", perfect description.
Thanks and thanks!
DeleteBailey certainly approves!!
ReplyDeleteShe does indeed!
DeleteI can always see so much more dust when people are coming over. Cat hair too! I'm hosting Book Club this month and will need to clean off my furniture since Mari thinks every couch and chair is hers! Glad you're having a good visit.
ReplyDeleteIt's good to have guests every now and then just to force us to look at our dwellings with a critical eye!
DeleteEnjoy the visit - they will appreciate the privacy of drapes but I am sure will not notice any sagging - and if they do, it says more about them than your hosting skills.
ReplyDeleteThey sag pretty badly, though! :)
DeleteBailey and her nest. They can be so particular about getting them just right! What a cutie.
ReplyDeleteShe really had her ideal little spot, there.
DeleteIt's a lot of work cleaning and preparing for guests, but it's such a nice feeling once you've done it all. Bailey looks happy 💚
ReplyDeleteIt's true -- cleaning long-neglected spaces DOES feel good.
DeleteI am sure your guests will have a lovely time and not even notice the imperfect drape situation. The zinnia is gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteWell, they noticed it because I pointed it out, trying to "get ahead of the story." LOL!
Delete