Sunday, September 21, 2008

Chimps


Yesterday was a terrific day -- the weather was pretty much perfect, and I walked from the Lower East Side across the Williamsburg Bridge into Brooklyn, and then up through Greenpoint to Long Island City, Queens. I was out virtually all day taking photos and just enjoying myself. Found a great used clothing store where I got a groovy tie-dyed t-shirt for $8!

Then, last night, I went to see Jane Goodall speak about her work with chimpanzees. When I was a kid we got National Geographic magazine, and anyone who read the Geographic in the 1960s knows all about Goodall and her work. So seeing her live was quite amazing. I think it's fair to say she helped awaken in me a love of Africa, which I've never lost.

(Photo: Leaf in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, Sept. 2008)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Jane Goodall! I have such a warm place in heart for her and all those chimps she has saved over the years. If it weren't for people like her, the might be on the endangered species list.

Anonymous said...

Ah the first leaves are beginning to fall. Love the pic, and love the idea of you walking around all day taking pics. Sounds like an ideal day to me!

Anonymous said...

What a perfect day for you! The weather is getting a bit nicer here, too. Last night it was actually cool enough to open the windows and enjoy a breeze, which is rare. I love the lone leaf and look forward to your new pictures.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you do interesting things just about every day! I like your leaf.

Anonymous said...

Dennis says chimps are real cute until you let a couple of them loose in your house.

Anonymous said...

Methinks Dennis has a point.