Monday, October 31, 2011

Guy Fawkes Night


We're coming up on Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Bonfire Night, and every evening I've been hearing the pop and bang of firecrackers. On Saturday someone launched a full-scale fireworks show just west of our apartment, and I stood on our balcony and filmed about a minute of it (above). I've been unable to find out who sponsored it.

(Some of the recent fireworks might also be related to Diwali, the Hindu "festival of lights" holiday that fell on Oct. 26. I'm not sure.)

The actual Guy Fawkes Night isn't until Nov. 5. It's named for Guy Fawkes, a conspirator in the so-called Gunpowder Plot of 1605 meant to overthrow the British government. The celebrations commemorate the arrest of Fawkes and his co-conspirators and the survival of King James I.

Events are scheduled all over London for next weekend, when children build effigies of Guy Fawkes -- known as "guys" -- and bonfires and fireworks displays will be held. (Apparently the use of the word "guy" to mean any man comes from Guy Fawkes' name. Who knew?)

I'm not sure yet what Dave and I will do. I'd love to go see some fireworks, but we may want to stay home to console the dogs -- they might get jittery with all the bangs and explosions. (If last Saturday is any indication, though, they won't have a problem. They slept through that celebration without so much as a whimper.)

2 comments:

Barbara said...

There are times when I am happy to have a deaf dog. Jake used to go absolutely crazy during fireworks. Now he sleeps like a baby and I no longer have anything to clean up!

How fun to know the origin of GUY!

Linda Sue said...

Penny for the guy?