Monday, October 10, 2011

Rooster Express


There's apparently an unwritten rule of marketing that says when you open a fast-food chicken restaurant in London, you must give it a red and white sign. Blue accents are permitted.




I love the names -- although my brother recently found a place in Tennessee called "Chicken Blast." (Which, incidentally, illustrates that the red-sign rule does not apply in the American South.) I can't top that one yet.

This place (below) might be going a bit overboard on the blue. Call the poultry police! (I couldn't get my own photo because a construction barrier was in the way -- thanks, Google Streetview!)


Of course, I think we all know who set the standard for red-and-white signage.

5 comments:

Gary said...

I love the things you notice! Of course now I will be checking out the chicken signs in NYC.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

i'll start snapping cleveland chicken joints and see if there is any discernible theme...with the exception of kfc, i seem to think (no facts) our chicken joints favor yellow.... i'll have to get back to you on this however!!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

p.s. my last letter verification was whyng - phonetically wing!!

Barbara said...

Is red and white somehow synonymous with clogged arteries? :) Color carries with it so much information in our culture. It would indeed be difficult to be blind or even color-blind. Stop signs are red and white too!

Steve Reed said...

Gary: New York actually has quite a few KFC knockoffs. There are several "Kennedy Fried Chicken" outlets in the Bronx and Brooklyn, and if I remember correctly they had some copyright battles with KFC.

Kim: Wing! Love it!

Barbara: I have a feeling this has more to do with ripping off KFC and less to do with any serious consideration for grabbing consumer attention with color. But I could be wrong!