Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunny


It's been many years since I've lived in such a sunny apartment. My place in New York was a north-facing cubicle with one window, and in Florida my condo faced north and my last rental apartment was surrounded by trees. I haven't lived in a place with windows on two walls since 1992.

So this south-facing apartment with windows on both sides and excellent cross-ventilation is pretty amazing. I never stop being intrigued by the sunlight, which throws mottled splotches, crescents and tiny rainbows, all coming and going, shifting and changing.





It's ironic that I would enjoy sunlight so much in London, reknowned for being dark and foggy! (Of course, that "fog" has improved substantially with the imposition of environmental controls and the phasing out of coal-burning industry.)

5 comments:

Barbara said...

The sun makes all the difference in the world. When we remodeled our house 11 years ago, one of the best things we did was to add a family room that has lots of windows and skylights. It is ever-changing in the ways you described.

Your new home sounds like a great place to be!

Are you allowed to share any pics from the jazz festival?

Reya Mellicker said...

Let there be light!

I'm glad you're enjoying it and taking such beautiful pictures of the way it plays through your apartment.

Gary said...

It perks me up to see the sunlight (I almost typed sinlight - what does that mean?). I am glad you are enjoying it.

e said...

I think you have a great place, and you're right. For all the sun we have here, many flats designs don't utilize either the sun or any cross ventilation.

37paddington said...

it's wonderful to live with sunlight. it definitely improves the mood.