Friday, February 16, 2024

Another Retro Diner and Angels Flight


I took this on the drive back from Palm Springs yesterday morning. These are the mountains just outside town, looking hazy and blue in the morning light. Spectacular! I couldn't imagine living there and seeing sights like this every day.

So yes, now we're back in the city. The drive back was uneventful, and we timed it so we'd arrive in L.A. right around lunchtime. The plan was to go to Pann's!


Pann's is yet another cool, authentic '50s diner, as you will remember if you've been reading this blog for 16 years (!) and have a supersonic memory. In April 2008 I wrote about passing the restaurant on the way from the airport "every time I go to L.A.," which cracks me up because I made it sound like I'm here all the time. I visited Pann's back then with my friend Christopher and took some photos, which I blogged. This time, I was excited to show it to Dave.

He was not disappointed! We sat at the bar and ordered breakfast and he waxed rhapsodic about the biscuits. I waxed equally rhapsodic about the pancakes.

Outside, the restaurant is largely unchanged -- though someone has added a crappy-looking tent near the front entrance, and let's hope that doesn't stick around long. It's a very hard building to photograph because it's at the corner of two major six-lane roads on a tiny lot, with a constant stream of heavy traffic passing by. I tried it from several angles and the perspective above was the best I could do. 


Inside it's pretty much unchanged, but was much busier than the last time I was here! Our waitress was a hoot -- I ordered two eggs, and when she repeated my order back she said "six eggs," and added with a wink, "I don't hear too good." (She was kidding.)


The bathroom still features these cool fish tiles, which I blogged last time.

Dave talked me into buying a mango-colored Pann's t-shirt that I may or may not ever wear, because yellow/orange is not normally my color. We'll see.

We came back to our same hotel in Westwood, checked in, dropped off our stuff and got ready for yet another night out -- this time in downtown L.A. Months ago, Dave bought tickets to a performance of the L.A. Philharmonic at the Disney concert hall, a groovy silver Frank Gehry building that looks like a tangle of bent and discarded aluminum.

I've been pretty courageous about driving in L.A. so far, but I admit I was worried about driving into downtown at rush hour. So we went very early and got there about three hours before the performance. I thought traffic would be gridlock but we took Wilshire Boulevard all the way, and it was fine. We drove through MacArthur Park, debating the merits of the song, and saw a lot of interesting local characters -- including a guy carrying what appeared to be a styrofoam boogie board on his back, emblazoned with the message, "UP YERS."


By the time we ate an early dinner it was getting dark. We walked over to the Angels Flight, a 123-year-old railway that runs one block up and down a steep hill. I wanted to see it and ride it, given that I'm reading Michael Connelly's Bosch mystery "Angels Flight," in which a murder takes place on the railway. (If you've seen the "Bosch" TV show, you'll remember this storyline as well.)


The two cars, which go up and down simultaneously, passing each other in the middle, are named after mountains in the Bible. We rode "Olivet," and as you can see from my photo, even the car itself is pretty steep on the inside. In the novel, which was written 25 years ago, it cost a quarter to ride. Now it costs $1.

We walked around Grand Central Market, at the bottom of the hill, and peered through the glass doors into the atrium of the historic Bradbury building. Then we zipped back to Angels Flight, took Olivet back up the slope, and made it to the concert hall in plenty of time to watch the performance of Schubert's Symphony No. 6 and Beethoven's No. 7. Dave mentioned on Facebook that we were there, and one of his students from almost 20 years ago happened to be in the audience too -- so we met up afterwards for a brief chat. What a small world!

Today we hope to make a quick trip to the Getty Museum before we catch our evening flight to London. Coming to you tomorrow -- and posting late, probably in mid-afternoon -- from home sweet home! I'm looking forward to seeing Olga but I will miss this sunshine.

24 comments:

Elle Clancy said...

You have no idea how much I've enjoyed this trip of yours, and the wonderful descriptions. It's like we are there with you. Safe travels home to Olga!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It has been a short trip but you have packed a lot in and taken some great pictures too. Now you'll be singing Joni Mitchell's "California" for a while - but hopefully only in your head!

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh wow! I love the Getty Museum, even if it’s only to take in the architecture and location. Speaking of Gehry... the Disney Concert Hall is a fascinating building, but the last time we were there, the rest of the neighborhood was blah. I hope downtown LA has improved.

Angels Flight and Bosch, yes! Great job with the Pann’s photos. It looks like Dave went out in the street and stopped traffic for a moment. What a guy. I’m now going to click the link to 2008 and will go back in time.

Pixie said...

I remember that Bosch episode. Cool little railway.
Hope you have a good flight home.

Boud said...

LA is much more interesting than I'd realized. It pays to have a good tour guide.

Ellen D. said...

Wow! You saw a lot and did a great job of sharing your adventure with us, Steve. Your trip went by so quickly! Safe travels home!

Ed said...

Looking at the picture of the train car, terrifies me a bit. What happens if I dropped something in the aisle or tripped myself in the aisle, I could end up on the tracks sliding down the hill or getting run over.

We have a similar one of those in Dubuque, Iowa but you exit from the side door so there is a metal and glass wall to stop things from rolling out the front/back.

The Bug said...

Ooo - I'd want to ride the train too! Very cool! And I need to see a photo of that shirt.

Colette said...

I also remember that Bosch episode, and got a kick out of seeing that photo. Seems like you are having a good time.

Sharon said...

How wonderful that you got to attend a performance in that gorgeous concert hall. I'm a fan of Frank Gehry and his out of this world designs. I hadn't heard of Pann's but it sounds like fun. And, I have never heard of Angels Flight. How can that be? You've managed a full agenda on this trip.

Ms. Moon said...

Steve, I have just enjoyed this little jaunt of yours and Dave's so much. So nicely photographed, such fun places to eat and visit. Thank you!
I was just listening to a podcast yesterday and somehow the LA deli, Langer's came up. It's supposedly right across from MacArthur Park. The pastrami is reported to be amazing. Open since 1947. Next trip, maybe?
And yes, it is a small world but as Emo Phillips once said, "I wouldn't want to paint it."

Marcia LaRue said...

According to this mornings weather forecast, you are leaving at the right time because the rain and flooding will be returning this next week!
Better you and Dave in LA then me! I have enjoyed your trip!
Olga will have major wiggle butt when you get back home!

ellen abbott said...

love the photo on top of the palm trees. Houston had a 50s 24 hour diner appropriately called the 59 Diner as it was located just off hwy 59. it's closed after only 29 years but was a popular late night spot. good catch on the hummingbird. I'm not a big fan of mid-century modern but one of Marc's cousins is. he's an architect and came and spent a weekend with us once because Wharton apparently has some famous mid-century modern buildings so I drove him around to see them all.

Susan said...

You've had a wonderful trip and thank you for sharing your adventure on the blog. I'm sure, Olga will be overjoyed to see you.

Kelly said...

This has been a wonderful trip for us, too, thanks to your posts! I look forward to hearing more once you get home. I love the fish tile and would like to have had a few in my kids' fish-themed bathroom when they were growing up.

Allison said...

Great trip you've had. Pann's looks really cool. I'm surprised at how not terrible your traffic was. When we were last in CA, the freeways were impenetrable. That was our lasting impression of CA.

Debby said...

$1 is still a bargain! That is so darn cool about meeting someone in the audience that you kind of knew! I do love coincidences like that. I once ran into my aunt in a bathroom at MT Vernon. Hadn't seen her for years.

Jeanie said...

Oh, I loved everything in this post! The restaurant looks fabulous -- I love diners and that's a wonderful one. And I'd love to ride Angels Flight! It's a beautiful interior. Finally, a magnificent concert -- those are two wonderful pieces to hear and I'll bet it was terrific!

Andrew said...

Many years ago I blogged about a funicular in the US but I can't remember if it was this one or not.

Red said...

Many times it's fun to go back and visit something from a long time ago. Interesting that there is a lunch counter in this diner.

Margaret said...

I remember that Connelly book and the re-telling of it in the series. You've found some fascinating places to eat and things to do. What an excellent trip! That's something that my daughter and I discovered about L.A.: try to stay off the freeways! I've been to that Market too and had dinner and a beer there.

River said...

You can tell a diner is good when the seats are all taken :)
I remember Angel's Flight, book and movie, it's nice to see the actual station and I love the colour. I don't remember it from the movie.

RedPat said...

I have really enjoyed the shots and stories from this trip.

Steve Reed said...

Elle: I'm glad you've enjoyed it! California is such a colorful place, it lends itself to good descriptions.

YP: I might sing it out loud, too, but only if no one is around.

Mitchell: You have no idea how long I had to stand by the side of La Tijera Boulevard to get that photo, just waiting for a break in traffic! I think downtown L.A. HAS improved, but it still has issues.

Pixie: I was so glad I saw those Bosch episodes so I knew to look for Angels Flight! Otherwise I'd have missed it entirely.

Boud: I think L.A. gets a bad rap. So many people think it's a terrible place but I've always loved it.

Ellen D: I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Ed: There actually IS a barrier at the end of the car -- it's clear so you can't see it easily in the picture but I think it would stop anyone from falling out. (I didn't test it.)

Bug: Shirt photo subsequently posted! :)

Colette: Part of the fun of L.A. is seeing places that we know from TV and movies.

Sharon: Next time you go to the Disney Concert Hall, take a few extra minutes for Angels Flight. It's only a few blocks away.

Ms Moon: Well, you can't do everything, as my mom used to say. I think I've heard of Langer's but it wasn't on my radar this time around!

Marcia: We really did luck out with the weather. I can't believe how we squeezed right between these two big storms!

Ellen: So it was a '50s-style diner, but not from the '50s? These are authentically built in the '50s, for what that's worth. More interesting from an architectural/design perspective.

Susan: Thanks for reading along!

Kelly: I love the fish tile too! Fish were a common theme in '50s designs, for some reason.

Allison: We got lucky. The freeways were occasionally slow, but they never stopped entirely.

Debby: Ha! It's even weirder to run into a relative.

Jeanie: Yes, the concert was terrific. I could not have been happier with it, though Dave thought the Beethoven symphony's second movement -- the famous one -- was paced too fast.

Andrew: There are others, I'm sure!

Red: I love going back to places I went years ago, and to places with a bit of history.

Margaret: The surface streets are so much more pleasant. Sure, there are stoplights, but there's also scenery!

River: I don't remember that color either! Maybe it got repainted?

RedPat: Glad you've liked them!