Sunday, February 11, 2024

Randy's and The Apple Pan


Well, Dave and I have arrived safely in the City of Angels, and we are now in our hotel room where the clock absurdly says it's 12:45 a.m., even though my body knows perfectly well it's almost 9 a.m. I hope I can get back to sleep but I'm doubtful!

Our flight went pretty smoothly. We saw some poor man melt down in the security line at Heathrow because he'd lost something -- I think his laptop. He was blubbering like a baby and I felt so bad for him. I hate that sinking panic that comes when you first realize something important is missing. I was hoping we'd see him in the terminal later just to know whether he ever found the computer, but we didn't.

In case you're curious, this is the route our Virgin Atlantic/Delta flight took:


From there, it was south over Saskatchewan and Montana, Utah and Nevada. All told, about ten hours. I read two New Yorkers back to back (including an article about the problem of feral cats in L.A.) and then the entire 1963 novel "The Graduate," which was the basis, of course, for one of my favorite movies of all time.

I have a lot of thoughts about this book but I won't bore you with them if you're not really into "The Graduate." I'll put them in an optional coda at the end of this post which you can read if you choose.

Once on the ground in sunny California -- and it is sunny here, thank goodness -- we somehow found the shuttle bus to the Budget car rental lot, and picked up our vehicle. I'd reserved a Toyota Corolla but we got something called a Nissan Rogue, which is basically an SUV, albeit a smallish one. I am behind the wheel and so far my driving skills have kicked in pretty reliably. No one's even honked at me, though of course they could be cursing under their breath.


We drove in a sort of deliberately roundabout way to our hotel in Westwood. Our room doesn't have much of a view, but from the other side of the building we get a good look at the nearby Mormon temple on Santa Monica Boulevard while we're waiting for the elevator. I think those are the hills near Culver City in the background.

By this time, we were hungry -- even though we'd had a meal, two snacks, a popsicle and numerous nibblies on the plane. The thing about planes is, you may be eating frequently, but you're not eating much. The portion sizes are tiny.

So we hopped back in the car and drove a short distance south to...


...The Apple Pan, a very old-fashioned lunch counter on Pico Boulevard that my co-worker Staci (who grew up in L.A.) told me about. We both had root beer and burgers and finished them off with a slice of The Apple Pan's famous banana cream pie. It was fabulous. I thought about buying a t-shirt but they were almost $50, which seemed insane, so I'll just have to plug them on the blog and leave it at that. Well worth it for the atmosphere alone -- it was like stepping back into 1948.

And with that I'm going back to bed.

-------

Here's what I thought about Charles Webb's novel "The Graduate."

I’d always heard the book is lesser than the movie — and that’s definitely true. But the plot and dialogue are much more similar than I expected. Whole lines and exchanges are lifted from the page and used verbatim in the film. (Perhaps the biggest exception is the famous bit about “plastics,” which does not appear in the book.) I’d always heard that Webb’s graduate was meant to be a WASPy type, and that casting Dustin Hoffman in the film was a huge departure from that original character — but actually the book doesn’t describe Benjamin Braddock at all, in any physical or cultural sense. The only character who routinely gets a physical description is Mrs. Robinson, and even then it's only her clothing -- for example, she is said to be wearing a low-cut green dress with a large gold pin when she invades Benjamin’s bedroom during that suffocating graduation party in the opening scenes.

I’d also heard that the ending of the book was different from the film, but it’s pretty much identical, if barely more ambiguous. Benjamin and Elaine, having fled the church and her wedding to Carl Smith, are last seen sitting in the back of the bus, and Elaine takes Benjamin’s hand as their fellow passengers stare.

There are a few minor differences. The movie’s famously awkward scenes at the Hotel Taft, when Benjamin blunders into the Singleman party and develops paranoia about the hotel desk clerk, aren’t nearly as funny in the book. Benjamin briefly leaves home and winds up a volunteer firefighter in northern California, a sojourn that is cut from the movie entirely. He also sells his car when he first moves to Berkeley and afterwards flies back and forth from L.A., rather than driving — I assume the filmmakers chose to keep the car to show off the California scenery that gives the movie such a sense of place. The book has no scene at Carl’s fraternity house. But Benjamin does take Elaine to a strip joint on their first date, and even the stripper and her famous “maneuvers” are the same.

The biggest difference, I’d say, is one of tone. Webb’s writing style is very flat. Some people say deadpan, but to me it’s utterly colorless. The bulk of the book is dialogue. It’s almost like reading a draft version of the screenplay. Webb famously sold the rights for a flat $20,000 and no royalties, and the movie made many times that at the box office on its way to becoming a cinema classic. But it took the talents of Mike Nichols, Hoffman, Anne Bancroft and many others to bring color and life to what otherwise seems a rather gray tale.

(Top photo: Randy's Donuts in Inglewood, photographed on our drive from the airport.)

25 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It is nice to hear that you arrived there safely. Looking forward to reading about the days ahead.

Andrew said...

You are n a nice part of LA.
The Apple Pan sounds terrific.

Pixie said...

I knew you guys were planning on flying to LA in February, just didn't realize it was February already:)

I'll pass on the book, even though I've never seen the movie in it's entirety. It sounds like one of those rare instances where the movie is better than the book. Have a wonderful time in LA. Looking forward to your photos.

Boud said...

Glad you arrived safely and seem to be managing jetlag pretty well. I don't know LA at all, so I'm looking forward to pictures.
You flew over Greenland! Not sure why I'm so impressed but I am.

Ms. Moon said...

Wow! Santa Monica got a huge Mormon temple! It looks like a giant hand soap dispenser to me. That church does love a temple.
I'm so glad you made it safely to LA and the thought of you and Dave dining at the Apple Pan makes me so happy although I've never even heard of the place. It sounds like it would be right up my alley.
I enjoyed your take on "The Graduate". I've never read it either. It surely did make a good movie.
I hope you're somewhat time-acclimated by the time you leave for Palm Springs.

Ellen D. said...

Good for you being able to drive around LA when you aren't used to driving! I would be afraid to attempt it and I drive all of the time.
Hope the weather stays sunny and you have a great time!

ellen abbott said...

so, west. I would expect the Apple Pan's famous pie would be apple.

Marcia LaRue said...

Aha ... you landed safely, the sun is shining ... you've eaten and slept! So far, so good!
My ex grew up in the LA area, his family was there ... I hated it when we would go visit!
I do hope you two enjoy your visit!

Susan said...

A good flight and landing in LA with the sunshine and warmth sounds perfect The burgers and pie sound delicious. After a long flight and time change, a good meal helps ease you in to California living. Enjoy.

Sharon said...

I remember that Mormon Temple. I think I have a photo of it somewhere. I had not heard about the Apple Pan but it sounds like a great place. Well, except for the price of the t-shirt.
Thanks for the synopsis of "The Graduate". I've seen the movie several times but never read the book. $20,000 was a lot of money back then but basically he got ripped off. I can't imagine the amount of money that movie has accrued over the years.

Kelly said...

Good lord... my mouth dropped open when you stated the price of the t-shirt. Clearly not 1948 prices! I think I'll pass on the book version of the Graduate. Sounds like one of those rare times the movie is much better than the book.

Debby said...

That is a crazy price for a tee. I can't wait to see where you wind up next!

Catalyst said...

Glad you made it and that the sun was shining. The Apple Pan food sounds delicious!

Ed said...

I find myself doing the same thing. I get someplace new and the first thing I want to do is to check out the local food scene.

Janie Junebug said...

I don't think people in LA curse under their breath about bad drivers. If you drove poorly, they'd let you know. I read The Graduate many years ago and recall it was colorless and like reading a script. Definitely not a book I'd want to read again. I'm glad you arrived safely.

Love,
Janie

Margaret said...

I'm delighted that you're already enjoying the amazing cuisine of L.A. I didn't realize that you were staying in Westwood! My older daughter lived in Santa Monica, then in West Hollywood while getting her PhD at UCLA, so Westwood is very familiar to me. Have a great time!

Red said...

Looking forward to your LA travels.

Jim Davis said...

Spendy tee shirt! I would have passed as well. Never read The Graduate, and based on your review it's just as well. Enjoy CA, looks like the airline demons were good to you, pretty direct routing, looks like the jetstream was well north during your trip across.

Elizabeth said...

Well, it sounds like you've gotten a good start, and I hope to see you before you leave for home. If you need any recommendations, please let me know. I always tell people to drive toward Malibu near sunset and eat shrimp and fish at The Reel Inn. So fun and so California!

lea said...

Enjoy your time in the sun. I was in Palm Springs years ago and enjoyed a hike in the hills behind the museum. The museum was very interesting too.
Alley Cat Allies has posted a scathing opinion of the piece in the New Yorker:
"The “article,” which should be labeled an opinion piece, uses debunked and antiquated studies to advocate for lethal control of cats outdoors, all while desperately downplaying the only humane and effective approach—Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR)—and condescending to or downright insulting the people who do the real legwork to benefit cats and communities."
https://www.alleycat.org/alley-cat-allies-exposes-misrepresentation-of-tnr-in-the-new-yorker/

River said...

You dined at The Apple Pan and didn't have apple pie? Tsk!
I have very vague memories of The Graduate movie and have never read the book.

Moving with Mitchell said...

So glad you arrived safely to sunshine in LA. I’m also glad you don’t have to stare at the Mormon Temple from your window. I’d heard of the famous Apple Pan but never visited. I look forward to going on adventures with you.

Steve Reed said...

YP: I'll try not to deluge you with too many photos!

Andrew: Yes, this area is amazing. Not a place we could afford to live!

Pixie: "The Graduate" is often given as a prime example of a movie being better than its source material.

Boud: Yes! I wish I'd thought to look down!

Ms Moon: HA! Your soap dispenser joke made me laugh. It DOES look exactly like that!

Ellen D: So far, so good, though believe me I am careful!

Ellen: I know, it's weird! They do serve apple pie but banana is what was recommended.

Marcia: I'm sure one's experience of LA varies greatly depending on where they are. It's such a huge area.

Susan: Yes, we really got lucky with the weather. Imagine if we'd come a week earlier!

Sharon: Supposedly he and his wife shunned material wealth so maybe he didn't mind, but I gotta wonder if that's really true, deep down.

Kelly: Nothing is cheap here. NOTHING.

Debby: Isn't that insane?! I want to go to Goodwill to check out the tees there.

Catalyst: We really lucked out with the weather!

Ed: Well, first things first -- we've got to sustain our bodies, right?!

Janie: I'm glad you had the same impression of the book! Yeah, you're right about LA drivers.

Margaret: It's fun that you know where we are! I have no experience with Westwood at all so this is new to me, but I know West Hollywood pretty well.

Red: I will keep you informed! :)

Jim: It's always disorienting to fly so far north, but it DOES make sense to go that way.

Elizabeth: Thanks for the recommendation! I'm not sure we're going to get out that way but I'll let you know! Yes, it would be great if we could meet up.

Lea: Interesting response from the cat group. I didn't think the article was condescending or insulting, but the author was clear that he is an advocate for birds and wildlife and thus is skeptical of cats being allowed to roam outdoors.

River: You should watch it again! It's great for viewing multiple times. I've seen it at least 30-40 times and I always find something new.

Mitchell: Ha! Yeah, having that out our window might seem a little oppressive!

Mary said...

Have to say I was really interested in your flyover photo to LA. I just finished Michael Palin's book, Erebus, about a ship that was lost up that way (Artic expedition) back in the late 1840s--trying to find the Northwest Passage. A good read BTW. While reading it I kept looking at maps to follow the various locations where it sailed (including the Antarctic). You flew just a bit southeast of where the remains of ship were eventually found under 39 feet of water/ice (in 2014). Providentially, I've got a ticket to see Michael Palin at Cadogan Hall in April. He will talk about his travels, books and his time with Monty Python. The program benefits his long standing stammering foundation--an affliction suffered by his father.

Enjoy your time in LA. My funniest memory of the place was driving by myself down Santa Monica Blvd in a convertible, the top down, on a beautiful sunny day as Sheryl Crow came on the radio singing her song about doing just that. A happy coincidence. Made me laugh. :)

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you made it safely. I forgot about airplane food -- yes, not much, and you had a long haul! Keep having fun!