Sunday, March 27, 2022

A Walk, and Then Another


Another bright and beautiful spring day yesterday -- perfect for walking another link of the Green Chain!

I took the tube and train down to Mottingham (yes, Mottingham, AGAIN) and began the 4.5 mile section 9 to Ravensbourne.


It took me into Elmstead Wood, where I found several whimsical artworks, like these bears carved out of an old tree. There were also a couple of ornate chairs and a tall tree-trunk "gnome house."

The path led me along the fenced Grove Park cemetery, and through the fence I spied a colorful tableau of flowers, bags, a bucket and other items surrounding a grave. I was going to take a picture but then I noticed a guy standing at the next grave, and realized that my standing in a fenced hedge and clicking photos in someone's direction was probably not the smartest thing to do. God knows what he'd have thought if he'd seen or heard me. So I reluctantly pressed on.

This was kind of a weird walk. I wouldn't say there were a lot of remarkable sights once I got out of those woods. A lot of it was on suburban streets, albeit several of them unpaved gravel.


I passed a couple of peculiar houses, including a modern-looking one with this incongruous historic entrance gate that had once stood at the London School Board offices on Victoria Embankment. The offices were torn down in 1929 but the gate was re-erected here the following year. Maybe someone from the school board owned the property and kept the gate as a (very large) souvenir?


I finally reached a bridge over the River Ravensbourne, and walked up a street mystifyingly named Crab Hill into Beckenham Place Park. 


I found these Bulgarian Martenitsa dolls suspended from a blooming tree. Weirdly, I had a Martenitsa doll in my bag that I'd found on a sidewalk a week or two ago. I tied it next to these two. I think they're supposed to come in pairs, but now these Martenitsi have an unconventional menage-a-trois!

And then I reached the end of my walk. But why did my map have two more pages?!


Well, this is what I get for not reading the introduction carefully. Turns out the 4.5 mile segment was merely 9A. There was also a 9B, an additional 1.7 miles that began in a completely different place -- the suburban village of Chislehurst. So I had to do some quick research on my dying phone about how to get there, and managed to figure out a route involving another train and then a bus just before my battery went kaput.

Forty-five minutes later, I was sitting with a cheese-and-pickle sandwich on the shore of the amusingly named but not particularly attractive Prickend Pond in Chislehurst.


This route took me through more neighborhoods, like the one in the top photo where the trees were spectacular, and then back into Elmstead Woods.

More bears!

And then, lo and behold, I was back at Grove Park Cemetery, so I went back for my photo of the colorful grave.


The man was gone, but the light had changed by this time and the photo wasn't quite as good. Still, you can bet I'm going to blog it after all that.

For some reason, the segment ended there in the middle of the woods, and I was left with a choice of how to get to a train. I decided to walk once again the Chinbrook Link of the last Green Chain segment, which had ended right where I was standing, back to Grove Park train station -- and that turned out to be a good option.

Which begs the question -- why don't the people who oversee the Green Chain add the Chinbrook Link (now a pointless spur off Section 8) to Section 9B of this segment, and create a whole new 2.5-mile segment from Chislehurst to Grove Park? It would be a continuous linear walk and would begin and end near a train station. Makes sense to me.

46 comments:

e said...

You should suggest that. Nice photos.

Moving with Mitchell said...

You should be the new editor/designer of the Green Chain; that walk sounds confusing. Your photos make it look like an excellent walk.

Susan said...

Changed light or not, that grave photo was worth the second go. It sounds like a map created by a committee - of warring parties. Those trees in the first photo are just glorious.

River said...

A tree trunk gnome house? Oh I wish you had photographed it. I love gnomes.
I don't know anyone else who eats cheese and pickle sandwiches besides me and now you. what type of pickles? Sweet mustard pickles from a jar? Spreadable. Or sliced dill pickles or sliced gherkins?
I like all these views of a country I will never see in real life.

Bob said...

Love that first shot of the street with the blooming trees.

And I love that special entrance gate, though it might seem odd in front of my house!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

For a moment I thought that top picture was of my own street and then I reminded myself that I had not seen a weary librarian with a camera plodding through our salubrious neighbourhood singing the Florida state song:-
All round de little farm I wandered
When I was young,
Den many happy days I squandered,
Many de songs I sung.
When I was playing wid my brudder
Happy was I
Oh! take me to my kind old mudder,
Dere let me live and die.

Pixie said...

I found this on a site about the Green Chain

"You might wonder about the rather erratic (read batsh*t crazy on a map) nature of the walk – turns out there’s a reason. When the walk was created in 1977, it was done to protect over 300 open spaces from building activity in the boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, Lewisham and Greenwich so they could continue to be enjoyed by Londoners in the future. Subsequent extensions have brought Southwark into the fold too."

I was wondering too why it was such a hodgepodge. Lovely photos.

Ms. Moon said...

I wonder if the same artist did both bear sculptures?
That wooden entrance door is rather ridiculously incongruous, isn't it?
Looks like a lovely walk!

jenny_o said...

I like those bears - both bunches of them!

You're such a troublemaker, adding your doll to the pair - lol

Boud said...

I love these walks with you. And that gateway is like a folly, just a giant visual joke.

Ellen D. said...

I agree with River - I really enjoy all of your posts as they let me explore a country I will never get to visit in person!

NewRobin13 said...

That was quite a walk. I love that you added your Martenitsa doll for a wonderful new menage-a-trois. The wooden bears there are beautiful.

ellen abbott said...

So many bear sculptures. Do they have bears in the UK? I had to look it up. No but there used to be, now extinct.

You should send your suggestion of combining the two segments to the powers that be. Maybe they'll take your advice. Those trees in the first picture are gorgeous.

James and Brigitta said...

You sure that's a grave? It might be the place to fill your watering cans and dump your discarded flowers?

Margaret said...

What a great walk...or adventure full of interesting sights! That gate is quite something. I love the flowering trees this time of year.

Kelly said...

I'm fascinated by that old entrance gate (and not sure I'd like that in front of my home). How close is it to the house itself?

Love the bear sculptures!

Wilma said...

Looks like someone figured out how to carve a good likeness of a bear and just couldn't stop! I do hope that the person who tied the first pair of dolls comes back to see that a third has joined them.

Mage said...

Are you going to suggest this?

Sharon said...

It seems strange that they would route you over ground you had already covered. But you did find a lot of interesting things to see and record. That gate is amazing and the view across the pond where you had lunch was very pretty. All the carved logs and trees are also interesting and done by someone with a bit of talent for wood carving. Those flowers and buckets and bags make an interesting photo. All in all, you found lots of interesting things to see and photograph.

Allison said...

This is my favorite kind of walking, with much stuff to look at. It's a lovely trail system.

Red said...

These little glitches get worse when your cell phone is going dead.

Anonymous said...

I know it is a rhetorical question at the end, but I strike so many things like this. In your case, have the planners of the walk ever actually taken the walks?

Unpaved gravel roads in London. Amazing.

Steve Reed said...

Maybe they'll see it on my extremely famous and prominent blog!

Steve Reed said...

It really is a spider web of pathways. Down below, Pixie posted some interesting info about why that is.

Steve Reed said...

I suspect they had all these public paths and wanted to get them all used, so they didn't think in terms of linear contiguity.

Steve Reed said...

I actually did photograph it, but there were no gnomes in residence. I guess they weren't home!

In this case, the pickle was Branston Pickle, which is almost a chutney featuring vegetables in a sweet pickle sauce. It's common on cheese sandwiches (to create what's called a "ploughman's lunch").

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, I can't imagine erecting something like that on a residential street. Nowadays the neighbors would have a fit!

Steve Reed said...

Oh, you've sought out our antiquated and extremely racist state song, I see? Ah yes, the joys of slavery. We used to sing it in our music classes when I was in elementary school, though seldom beyond the first verse.

Steve Reed said...

Excellent detective work! I had no idea this was the origin of the Chain. I'll have to do some more reading myself!

Steve Reed said...

I'm guessing it's the same artist. The bears all have the same expression! LOL

Steve Reed said...

It takes all kinds, even in the world of Martenitsi!

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, exactly -- it's become an architectural folly. (Even those are usually in gardens, though, not at the street!)

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad you like them! And don't assume you'll never get here. The world works in mysterious ways!

Steve Reed said...

They ARE really nice bears! Despite the rough carving they're pretty detailed.

Steve Reed said...

I think the bears were all harassed to death, back when they used to parade them and make them "dance" for entertainment.

Steve Reed said...

Well, that's a good point! I couldn't see the front side! I think it's a grave, though.

Steve Reed said...

I do too -- and we still have lots more to come.

Steve Reed said...

Surprisingly close. You can see bits of the house behind it, on both sides and through the top of the archway.

Steve Reed said...

Ha! That will freak them out, won't it?!

Steve Reed said...

I suppose I could, though I'm not sure who to appeal to, off the top of my head.

Steve Reed said...

This walk is weird that way -- it keeps starting and stopping at the same places. As I've said before, it's like "Groundhog Day"!

Steve Reed said...

It IS amazing that there are so many public footpaths, which are protected by law. Not something we see in the United States.

Steve Reed said...

I was SO glad I figured out the route before that happened! I could have kicked myself for not charging it up the night before.

Steve Reed said...

Ha! Yeah, you gotta wonder. I suppose someone must be walking the trails to maintain them. The gravel roads were a surprise!

Moving with Mitchell said...

This is fascinating. Thanks to Pixie.

Jeanie said...

What an interesting gravesite. I love the things you discover on your walks.