Thursday, March 17, 2022

The Q Allegory


Even though almost all my commenters yesterday suggested I get a new frame for my grandmother's needlepoint, I must admit that last night I got out the super glue and fixed it. (And of course got the glue on my fingers, which happens EVERY TIME I handle super glue.) I like keeping it in the original frame, the one my grandparents bought for it. I glued the broken hook to the back of the frame and then replaced the twine. We'll see if it lasts or comes crashing down again.

I've been listening to an interesting podcast called "The Coming Storm," from BBC radio. It's all about the rise of Q-Anon and how that led to the Jan. 6 insurrection in Washington, D.C. The podcaster, Gabriel Gatehouse, suggested an interesting interpretation of all the Q-Anon mythology -- the idea that Satanic pedophiles are running the world. He posits that, just like a Biblical allegory, these stories aren't meant to be taken literally. Instead they're representative of a wider truth -- that perhaps the people with money and power today really aren't running the world in the best interests of the rest of us. Then it doesn't sound so crazy, does it?

In other words, the Satanic pedophile stuff, the child-abuse ring in the basement of the pizza parlor, is a way to grab attention and spread that greater message of anger, frustration and disempowerment. Many Q followers do seem to be religious people, and perhaps more likely to be familiar with thinking in allegorical terms. Of course there are people who take it all literally, at their peril and everyone else's, and I think the Q belief in Donald Trump as their chosen messiah is truly puzzling -- except that they see him as a plain-spoken outsider who doesn't talk down to them, and they like that.

And of course the podcast emphasized the fact that the Republicans have been happy to capitalize on the Q movement and turn it into votes and fundraising.

I am forever trying to understand how these people think, so I found it all quite interesting.


A couple of days ago I found some daffodils lying on the sidewalk on my way to work -- probably picked by some child and then abandoned. I took them to the office and put them in a cup on my desk. They brighten the place up!

Oh, and there was some happy news yesterday -- I've written before about Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, whose family lives near us in West Hampstead and who has been held prisoner by the Iranian government since 2016. Yesterday she was finally released and allowed to leave the country. Olga and I would occasionally see evidence of gatherings in her support at Fortune Green when we took walks there. Maybe now we'll run into her at Waitrose!


And speaking of Olga, here's a picture I took yesterday from our "dog cam" showing how she spends her time while we're at work -- at least until her dog-walker arrives. What a life!

(Top photo: A Royal Mail delivery van outside the gatehouse at a Hampstead property -- a purely inadvertent reference to Gabriel Gatehouse's surname!)

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed I think Gabriel Gatehouse might speak some truth, but there are lots who believe the literal of the world being run by pedos. I too try but fail to understand these misguided people. The anti maskers and anti vaxxers puzzle me greatly but I don't know any to argue with. No doubt I could find them online but life is short.

It is nice that you kept the original frame even though I suggested otherwise.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Ever read "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens? Ebenezer Scrooge would have also chosen to glue the broken picture frame back together. He would have also happily picked up novichok daffodils from the pavement (NOT "sidewalk" dammit!) instead of purchasing them from a local supermarket or florist.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I love how Olga centers herself on the sofa. The daffodils are happiness. I read this morning about Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe. What good news. I hope she recovers well from that ordeal.

ellen abbott said...

Of course "the people with money and power today really aren't running the world in the best interests of the rest of us", they're running it for their own benefit. And what a joke that Trump's supporters think of him as an outsider when he's one of those with money and power running things to his and only his benefit. And if by plain speaking they mean just as ignorant and illiterate as they are, then OK.

Bob said...

Here's my take on QAnon ... don't feed me nonsense about Obama eating babies. If your message is that the rich are out for themselves and no one else, then why do so many Q's support Thing 45?
QAnon traffics in lunacy.

Ms. Moon said...

You know, I think that keeping the original frame for that needlepoint is the sweetest idea. I mean- Woolworth's!
I completely agree with what Ellen said about the Q's. There may be a sliver of reasoning behind the whole thing but that's like saying a broken clock is right twice a day.
Do you suppose that anyone can truly recover from an experience like Nazanin has had? I wish the best for her and can only imagine the joy of her family to have her home.
Those daffodils- you gave them a new life, a new chance and look how they have so gloriously repaid you!

NewRobin13 said...

I really appreciate that you explored the whole Q-Anon thing and explained it here. It's often hard to figure out what underlies movements like this.
It's lovely that you are keeping the original frame for the needlepoint.
Those lucky daffodils certainly found their way into a lovely place to be admired.

Red said...

When it comes to news , if we have to rely on Q anon, we're in big trouble.

Margaret said...

You make good points about Q-Anon. I think they're batshit crazy to believe some of the "stuff" they do and anyone who supports Trump is off the rails in my opinion. (or totally brainwashed by propaganda) I have the same problem with superglue or with the glue I use to put claw protectors on the cat.

Kelly said...

I just learned this past weekend that a cousin of mine is Q-Anon! I haven't seen or talked to him in probably 25 years or more, but even back then he was consumed with conspiracy theories. (so I guess I'm not surprised) I appreciate what you shared here since I really don't know any of the particulars about it. There's all kinds out there! 😱

Boud said...

Great daffodil find there. And finally nazanin is home. She's missed six years of her little girl's development, only a baby when her mother was seized. She's the one I wonder about.

And it only took a land war, threat of job loss and exposure of his paymasters, for Boris to finally pay the damn debt and get them (two hosted) freed. He owes her big-time.

Boud said...

Hostages, dang it.

crafty cat corner said...

Those daffs are a sight to behold. beautiful and saved from an early death.
Briony
x

Jim Davis said...

QAnon is living breathing proof of the lack of critical thinking skills.

Sharon said...

The fact that the Republicans have been happy to capitalize on the Q movement and turn it into votes and fundraising proves the theory that people with money and power aren't running the world in the best interests of the rest of us. That podcast sounds interesting. I've come to the conclusion that religion will be the end of all of us (if Putin doesn't get us first).
I love the daffodils. They do brighten things up.

Catalyst said...

I've not done much investigating of the Q movement other than to realize its believers are generally not very intelligent people. Regarding the two people released by Iran, I wonder what prompted it. And Olga has the best idea of all: just ignore all of it and take a nap. Or two. Or three.

Michael said...

I simply do not get all of those Q-Anon theories. I try to understand, but I just cannot. There is something so pleasant to me about a dog curled up on a couch. I love seeing photos like that.

River said...

I heard a line on the news last night about Nazanin being released and heard a short clip of her reading a book to her child. I was washing up my dishes at the time so wasn't really paying attention.
The daffodils look lovely against that blue mug.

Jeanie said...

Oh, that IS good news about Nazanin. Just wonderful. And I love the cup and daffs -- so cheerful.

I don't get the Q thing. I've tried to read a bit about it -- it always shocks me what people believe. But I don't really get it.

Edna B said...

The design of that house is quite unusual and very interesting. I love your daffodils. They are so sunny. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.