Friday, March 18, 2022

Apocalyptic Magnolia


I walked beneath this amazing magnolia on my way home from work yesterday. Lots of these trees are blooming right now, but this one seemed particularly dense with blossoms. As I stopped to take a few pictures, a woman passing me turned around and stopped too. I like to think that my act of taking the photos made her give the tree a second look.

In fact she might have said something to me, but I couldn't hear her because I had in my headphones, listening to "The Coming Storm," Gabriel Gatehouse's Q-Anon podcast from the BBC. (A particularly scary episode about people who believe in "The Sovereign Individual," a concept involving the disintegration of our social order and the rise of über-wealthy individuals who essentially answer to no external authority. It mentioned Peter Thiel, whose biography I just finished, as a proponent of these ideas.) So, anyway, hopefully I wasn't rude to her but with the beauty of the magnolia and thoughts of the apocalypse filling my brain, I had no room for chit-chat.
 

Here's a close-up view. I love that golden glow from the evening sun.

Oh, and yesterday morning, when I took out the trash, I noticed a sort of reddish sediment on the rubbish bins. I'd never seen anything like it and I was a bit annoyed, because I thought Mrs. Kravitz had been power-washing again, or maybe someone was doing brick work on their house and the dust drifted down onto us. It wasn't until I read Mitchell's post about the Saharan dust storm in Spain that I thought maybe what I was finding was also Saharan dust, brought to earth by the rain.

And sure enough, it was.


Here's what it looked like on some patterned plastic panels I found on someone's garden wall on the way home from work. (No, I did not take the panels!)

Today I have to get myself to work early to give my final Newbery talk. I'm off!

23 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

That magnolia is spectacular.

We’re dealing now with the clean-up of Saharan mud.

Thank you for predicting my question about the patterned plastic panels.

Anonymous said...

Two years ago we had dust rain. The effect is still visible on rooftops. A fully laden flowering magnolia is a glorious thing to see. I always unplug when someone speaks to me. I may plug back in if they bore me.

Marty said...

Dust from the Sahara? That brings global living to a whole other level.
My Oklahoma grandmother would float one magnolia blossom in a bowl of water and the lemony scent would fill the room. My favorite smell EVER

Michael said...

My students are studying the Great Depression, and yesterday I did a lesson on the Dust Bowl and the dust that drifted all the way to Washington, DC. Your post reminded me of that. Today is a teacher workday with no students and I should be working, but I am taking a break and reading blogs! Loved the magnolia picture, different from the magnolias here in Virginia.

Bob said...

Mitchell's Muddy Waters made it all the way to you!!

I might have taken the panels though, as yet, I wouldn't know what to do with them.
That magnolia tree is beautiful. We have many in town and they are starting to bloom and are just so pretty.

ellen abbott said...

That is a gorgeous tree. I love the 'tulip' trees or saucer magnolias I think they are also called. There are some good specimens here but I haven't seen any in bloom and I'm wondering if last years arctic freeze killed them.

Ms. Moon said...

And to add to Ellen's list of what that beautiful species is called here, I will add Japanese magnolia. The one you have photographed is a spectacular example of their glory!
Funny that your mind immediately went to Mrs. Kravitz when you saw the dust. "What now?!" But no, not this time. Just the Sahara. Good Lord!

NewRobin13 said...

Beautiful magnolia blossoms there and the blue blue sky. Makes me wonder what the sky looked like when that Saharan dust blew through. Interesting red remnants left behind.

Red said...

I always wanted to see magnolias in bloom. I've never hit it right.

Sharon said...

That tree is gorgeous. I hadn't heard about the dust storm. How interesting that the dust traveled so far. There must have been a LOT of dust in the air.

The Bug said...

Beautiful tree! A nice contrast to the imported dust- what the heck!

Margaret said...

I love magnolias! I admire you for having the courage to listen to that and to read about Peter Thiel. I'm so upset by everything right now that it would push me over the edge. Never had to take an anti-depressant but I'm getting close. Best of luck on your talk!

Ellen D. said...

Lovely magnolias! What a fabulous sight to see. The red sand on everything is unusual, right? Does the Saharan dust blow that far often? Strange!

Allison said...

I saw a photo somewhere of the dust over Spain. The sky was yellow. Magnolias are beautiful, but then they drop their petals and raking ensues. We had one, and then we moved and decided no mas.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I hope that the Newbery talk went well.

That woman was probably saying something like, "Hi sexy! Wanna make beautiful music in my boudoir?" You could have kept it secret from Dave who of course also like to make beautiful music.

Kelly said...

What a gorgeous tree! It's very different from the Southern Magnolias I'm use to. (ours bloom around May)

I hope the kids enjoyed your talk!

Jeanie said...

Fascinating about the sandstorm and panels. That magnolia is glorious. It will be another month or six weeks before ours burst, most likely so thanks for sharing it!

Hope the talk went well!

Boud said...

Beautiful magnolia. I love them but we're just a bit far north, and they often get frost nipped after a day or two. Lovely while they last.

Has the sand in the atmosphere affected sunsets?

Pixie said...

Those blossoms are gorgeous! I'll pass on the book, sounds depressing. The funny thing about the uber wealthy, they still die. Doesn't matter how much shit you have, you still die. What does matter is what you do for others, I think. I should write a book about it, "The Ven Diagram of Life" or "Connections" or something like that. Nobody would read it:)

Mage said...

Gorgeous images. Thank you. Hope the talk went well.

Catalyst said...

I'm always amazed at some of the flora in England. I would have thought Magnolia trees only thrived in the American South.

River said...

I have never seen a magnolia with so many flowers! it's beautiful.

Edna B said...

This magnolia tree is gorgeous! Have a super day, hugs, Edna B.