Thursday, September 7, 2023

Disco Doesn't Suck


My neighbor down the hill has the most beautiful cosmos plant in her front garden. Unfortunately, my phone couldn't figure out that it was the flowers I wanted to photograph; it focused instead on the Bathing Beauty, the mannequin in the bathtub in the background. You can pretty clearly see her legs sticking out of the end of the tub. Her head is at the other end, mostly concealed behind that lavender.

I went to the dentist yesterday for a check-up. Yes, this was my second dental appointment in a couple of weeks, but as I think I mentioned before, my dentist and my hygienist work on different days, so I can never do both a cleaning and a check-up at the same time! It's the craziest system.

Anyway, happily, my teeth are all in good shape. We're watching a few areas where I have aged fillings, but nothing needs any special attention now. They did a thing where the dental assistant ran a wand around the inside of my mouth, over the front, back and chewing surfaces of my teeth, and produced a 3-D image of them. She could then rotate my demonic, lipless grin on a computer screen and show me my teeth in great detail. It was pretty cool. I took a picture of the 3-D image but it's a little creepy -- disembodied teeth look very skull-like -- so I won't inflict it on you. TMI, I'm thinking.

When I sat down in the chair I was carrying a magazine and the dentist asked what I was reading. It happened to be an article in The Atlantic about trigger warnings, in which a feminist writer questioned whether such content warnings are actually harming girls and women by making them less able to confront disturbing information. I gave the dentist a brief summary but as I did so I wondered, what if she's been assaulted in some way that requires a trigger warning? Am I triggering her by merely describing this article?

What a tangled web.



When Jimmy Buffett died several days ago, I thought about the one Buffett album I ever owned -- "Volcano," which as I recall I got for my birthday or for Christmas one year when I was a kid. In my memory, I got it and John Lennon and Yoko Ono's "Double Fantasy" album at the same time. I decided to look in my old journals and see if I'd mentioned them, and if my memory was accurate.

Well, surprisingly, although I wrote about getting the "Moonraker" sountrack in 1979, I did not mention records by Jimmy Buffett or John Lennon. At least not that I can find. I definitely owned them both, though, and I'm pretty sure they came together.

What I did find in my journals were chips of an old record, which I glued to the page on Aug. 1, 1981. We were about to leave on vacation and I wrote about buying four rolls of film and two packages of flashcubes (remember those?) at the astonishing price of almost $17, which must have been a fortune to me at age 14. And then I'd have needed to get it all processed! What a nightmare film photography was.

Anyway, I then wrote, "(My brother) and I destroyed his disco records today. We both hate disco, see. Here's an example of what happened to Gloria Gaynor and Amy (sic) Stewart...that's what they get for recording disco. It's their own fault."

Several things are odd about this. I don't hate disco. I love disco. I've always loved disco. In fact, I bought that Gloria Gaynor record. But this was 1981, not too long after an event called "Disco Demolition Night" in which mostly young white men publicly destroyed records made predominantly by black artists, many of them women, and loved by gay listeners. It was the "Disco Sucks" era. People used to walk around with that phrase on t-shirts, and I remember my stepbrother being especially anti-disco. So apparently, I got swept up in the fervor, even though deep down I liked disco myself.

I suspect my brother and I were both just sick of those records, as anybody gets sick of a song they've heard a million times. My participation in "Disco Sucks" was purely opportunistic and prompted by peer pressure. Besides, how was it OK to hate on Gloria Gaynor while listening to Shirley Bassey singing "Moonraker"?!

20 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

An interesting, multi-faceted blogpost in which your standard of English expression is once again excellent. Well done Stephen!

Ed said...

I have only one Buffett album but it is the four CD set of "Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads" and though I don't listen to it often, when I do, I will listen to it constantly for a week or so until I have everything memorized by heart again. My favorite songs tended to be those that he rarely sang at concerts. They were deep and spoke to me somehow. I always come away with an intense feeling that I should be living on a beach somewhere. Fortunately though, it quickly fades when I stop listening and move onto other music.

Whenever I hear disco, I have to do that walk that John Travolta did. I just can't help myself.

Janie Junebug said...

I loved disco until crap such as Disco Duck was released. Disco dancing was fun. I wish I had a mannequin in a bathtub for my yard.

Love,
Janie

Ms. Moon said...

Ah- the yard where your famous neighbor's mother lives!
I wasn't that big a fan of disco although I did like some of it very much. It was great to dance to!
However, I once told my brother that if he played his stupid Grand Funk Railroad album one more time I was going to break it and he did and I did. He was flabbergasted!

Moving with Mitchell said...

Well, I'm glad you were born again into disco. I do enjoy it. But I want lyrics and not just repetition. The only thing that got to me in my disco years was the overplaying of the hits. I remember flying into a rage when Last Dance came on the car radio for the fourth time in a one-hour drive. And months later I dated someone who screamed when it came on the radio, “Oh my god! My favorite song!” We only had one date.

NewRobin13 said...

The disco era passed me right by. I don't think I ever listened to any of the music. I didn't listen to Jimmy Buffet either. Now I'm wondering what I was listening to in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Oh I remember. I was a 30 year old college student immersed in anthropology.
I may have to listen to some disco today to see what I missed.

Ellen D. said...

I once broke a record accidentally. One Christmas when we were little my brother gave me a Ricky Nelson record as I LOVED Ricky Nelson. I was so thrilled and would dance to the music with the album cover in my hand as it had a beautiful picture of Ricky Nelson on it. That same day, I left that album on a chair and later didn't realize it was there and SAT on it, breaking off a bit of the edge so the first song was ruined. But the rest of the songs were okay so...
I still have that album!

The Bug said...

Isn't it interesting that disco hate apparently originated in racism and/or sexism (or anti-LGBTQ)? I remember jumping on the I Hate Disco bandwagon too (and in truth, I preferred music that told a story than music to dance too). I wonder if I would have been so quick if I'd known how that started?

Kelly said...

I think if you had tapped the flowers on your phone screen, it would have focused on them. (a little box comes up)

I never understood why people hated disco so much. I loved it and still enjoy listening to it.

Margaret said...

I too love disco. It's so catchy and is the anthem of my college years (along with Peter Frampton's Live); I have many memories of going out dancing in Seattle. "Brick House" and Earth, Wind and Fire could get me moving! I need to call the dentist since I'm having some temperature sensitivity on one side, probably meaning a crown is in my future. Ugh.

Michael said...

I love disco myself. Remember Donna Summer? Every once in a while I will listen to her and memories flood back from the 80s. Yikes, I am getting old!

Pixie said...

I lived so far removed from the world it seems, that everything arrived late in our neck of the woods. I liked disco as well. I also like that you've kept your journals all these years. My sister has been keeping journals since she was eleven, incredily detailed journals, she could have worked for the CIA.

Allison said...

I liked disco - it had a good beat and you could dance to it.

Boud said...

I wonder if that's Phyllida Law's house? I seem to remember her in connection with a bathing beauty!

Bob said...

I don't mind a little disco ... it's got a great beat and it's easy to dance to ... but I love words and stories in music a bit better.

Sharon said...

Those cosmos are brilliant! That's a funny story about the disco remarks. I wonder what prompted you to say you hate disco.

Andrew said...

To make valid comments on today's youth, older people need to have a recall as you have about peer pressure.

It wasn't even so long ago when we were still printing out digital photos after making a careful selection. I haven't printed out a photo for some years now.

Debby said...

You know what I love most about this post? The fact that you kept a journal at age 14 and continued it all of your life. It must be cool to go back and see exactly what you were all those years ago...and be able to disect all of it with the wisdom of your years.

You, Steve Reed, were born to be a blogger! How old were you when you first began your journals?

Steve Reed said...

YP: You sound like you're grading my paper! :)

Ed: Buffett did capture that "drop-out-and-move-far-away-to-a-warm-place" ethos. I only know his more popular songs; I was never enough of a fan for the deep cuts.

Janie: I even liked Disco Duck when it came out, but then, I was a kid!

Ms Moon: Ha! I'd have been flabbergasted too! I could not even name a Grand Funk Railroad song.

Mitchell: Ha! That wasn't even Donna Summer's best song! (I always liked "Heaven Knows.")

Robin: It was fun, completely empty music. Like today's modern electronica/dance, but warmer and more human.

Ellen D: I'm amazed you still have it! Ricky Nelson WAS cute in his younger years. Did you ever see him in "Rio Bravo" with John Wayne?

Bug: It IS interesting, and I was completely unaware of it at the time, but now those racist/sexist/homophobic connections seem so obvious.

Kelly: Yes! I should have done that. I just didn't.

Margaret: I attended a school assembly about a week ago where the kids all danced to Earth, Wind and Fire. It's STILL the best music to get people moving, apparently!

Michael: Donna Summer was great in her day. I had her double live album!

Pixie: I discarded four or five of them from my college years, which were just way too self-obsessed and cringey to read. But I have all the others, going back to seventh grade!

Allison: Pretty much the whole point! :)

Boud: It is indeed!

Bob: Yeah, it's definitely not deep or meaningful. It's just fun.

Sharon: I'm sure I was conforming to my step-brother's opinion. I looked up to him as he seemed much better suited to navigating teenage trends than I was!

Andrew: Yeah, I used to do that too -- order prints of my digital pictures. I just couldn't conceive of a picture that wasn't a print! Fortunately that ended for me in about 2009!

Debby: I got a diary with a lock and key when I was 10, so that's when I started. I was indeed born to be a blogger! I was just waiting for this platform! LOL

Jeanie said...

Ah, the things we did when we were young just to be in the trend!

Now that I'm home I need to dig out Jimmy Buffet. Maybe tonight. Last night we dined at a Mexican restaurant and I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to order a margarita!