Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Out in the Desert


Can I take you on another odyssey related to the movie "The Graduate"? I didn't intend that film to crop up so much on this trip, but I guess reading the book on the plane -- and then re-watching the movie, and realizing I was amid so many of the filming locations -- has kept it in the forefront of my mind. I knew that the church where the final scenes were filmed was located in the little town of La Verne, between Los Angeles and San Bernardino. So I devised a plan to stop there on our way out to Palm Springs.

It was easy to do, actually -- La Verne is just a few miles off the freeway. And sure enough, we found the church, which was brand new when the movie was made in the '60s.

Here's a screen shot, showing Dustin Hoffman running around the outside of the building:
 

He eventually runs up that side staircase and in through a door. Looking at the church now, in the top photo, I notice that staircase doesn't exist. They must have built it for the film. I bet the architect hated that! I also notice that some lighting sconces and (hopefully temporary?) wreaths have been hung on the front wall, and the windows are no longer such large panes of glass.

Anyway, we didn't try to go in, though the doors were standing open and there were people around. I was happy just to see the outside.

On we drove, via the Foothills freeway, passing the turn-offs to Big Bear and Lake Arrowhead on the way to Palm Springs...


...which is much more congested and built up than I remember it! The last time I was here was in April 2008, and I remember a quiet little town with clean, modernist lines. Yesterday, as we walked down the main drag with its red barrel-tile roofs and faux adobe buildings, I kept saying to Dave, "What have they done to this place?! It's like Frontierland at Disney World!"

But then I looked at Google Street View from 2008 and it doesn't look much different, at least not in our immediate area. There IS a big new hotel, I think, as well as a gigantic statue of Marilyn Monroe that I don't remember seeing before, but maybe I'm just not remembering things accurately. Anyway, once you get off the main drag, the town is as charming as ever.


Here's where we're staying -- a little 1940s apartment complex now called the Hideaway. I'm standing in front of our room, which is called "Lucy and Ricky's Getaway," looking toward the pool. It's a great little place with period furnishings and original fixtures, including a crazily narrow shower door that must be discouraging to people bigger than I am.

Speaking of which, I really hope to get some walking in today. I need exercise in the worst way. Too much sitting and driving!

18 comments:

The Bug said...

I like you in this time zone - I get to comment first! I really am glad you're having a good time.

Ellen D. said...

You sure are packing in a lot of adventures on this trip! The Hideaway reminds me of the motels we would stay at when we went on family vacations back when I was a kid. We would watch for "Vacancy" signs as we drove and were so happy to see a pool outside!

Debby said...

That picture of your hotel! I love that it probably looks no different than it did in 1960. 'Time warps' are fun, aren't they?

Boud said...

Interesting travelogue. What's Palm Springs about? Is it famous for some movie reason I don't know? Just wondering how you decided on going there.

Ms. Moon said...

LuCEE!
I love it! Gosh. It all just looks so movie-perfect. That church really does have an interesting design, doesn't it? Reminds me a little of the Flying Nun.
Have all the fun, Steve!

Ed said...

Not to throw a kink in your theory, but the same church was also used in a wedding scene in Wayne's World 2 and it had the same staircase on the side. Perhaps it was just removed during later renovations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3uWZylgfCc

I'm assuming the identical church across the street in the same movie was CGA work.

Sharon said...

That's so great that you found that church. The place you are staying looks great and very Palm Springs. Enjoy the desert!

James and Brigitta said...

We lived in Lake Arrowhead for 10 years and visited Palm Springs often in the winter to warm up, and golf, when we had snow in the winter. We also traveled once a week to Westwood for a year where James did his evening studies for landscape architect at UCLA. So many great memories! That blue sky!!

Allison said...

Nice looking sky! Your trip looks seriously fun thus far. I love the place you're staying in Palm Springs. We've only ever driven through there, what does one do for fun? I look forward to your reporting.

Jim Davis said...

I love that apartment complex where you're staying, it literally screams Palm Springs & Mid-Century Modern.

Margaret said...

That narrow shower door would make me feel claustrophobic; luckily, I'm a bather anyway. :) I have a couple friends who live in Palm Springs and love it.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I must confess that when I saw "The Graduate" in Hull when I was sixteen years old it filled my head and my loins with erotic thoughts. It's great that you found the church in La Verne and that it is little changed. I love the look of place in Palm Springs but I would probably have to remove the shower cubicle door before stepping inside.

Jeanie said...

That's a fabulous looking hotel. I'd love that. Very interesting about the Graduate church. I wonder if there used to be stairs or if he ran up them and cut to the interior which may have been a studio shot. Hmmm. Palm Springs -- I'd love to visit there.

Kelly said...

I had the same thought as you did about those stairs being added for the movie... until I read Ed's comment. I guess we'll never know. I wonder about those odd looking wreaths, too.

Love the retro look of the place you're staying!

Pixie said...

My husband and I love old motels like that, although yours looks like it was kept up better than most. Lovely pics. I remember that church from the Graduate. I've never seen the whole movie, just bits and pieces, not sure why. Enjoy Palm Springs.

Susan said...

Your having perfect vacation weather. California dreaming...sunshine, lovely blue sky and palm trees. Enjoy.

River said...

The pool area looks lovely, will you take a swim? I don't like the design of that church, it looks like it should be an art gallery.

Steve Reed said...

Bug: Ha!

Ellen D: I loved those little roadside motels. We used to stay in them too, before the era of chain hotels.

Debby: Yeah, and Palm Springs is really great for mid-century time warps.

Boud: I'm sure it's been in plenty of movies, but it's known as a resort area. Many celebrities had homes here back in the '40s, '50s and '60s. (And some still do.)

Ms Moon: The weather really HAS been movie-perfect. It's been amazing.

Ed: OK, that is VERY interesting. (I had no idea "Wayne's World 2" featured a "Graduate" spoof scene. How did that get past me?!) Looking at the church now, there is no sign of that staircase at all. Could they have rebuilt one for "Wayne's World" too? Or they removed it so effectively that there's just no trace. Yes, the second church is definitely special effects. LOL!

Sharon: It's wonderful here. I can see why people retire to this climate!

Brigitta: Wow! I am really on your home turf here! I have never been to Lake Arrowhead myself but I'd love to go one of these days. Maybe my next California sojourn.

Allison: There are hikes and lots of outdoor sports and that kind of thing. Anything you could do in a beautiful area with amazing weather!

Jim: Doesn't it?! I'd love to have seen it when it was new, though I imagine it looked much the same.

Margaret: I think I could easily live here. In fact we've been talking about retirement options!

Jeanie: I think the interior shots were filmed on location too. I am mystified about the staircase, though. More research is needed!

Kelly: Yeah, I don't get the wreaths. I didn't look closely at them but I think they're temporary. You'd think if they were put up for Christmas they'd be down by now, though.

Pixie: You MUST watch the whole movie. It's a work of cinematic art in every respect. Amazing photography, acting, music, everything.

Susan: It was exactly what I needed, to escape dreary gray London!

River: I like the design but I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea!