Monday, June 16, 2008

Gypsy


Whew! What a whirlwind weekend! I’m lying in bed this morning at 8 a.m., late for work already. I really needed some extra sleep, though!

Ann, Greg and I met up with Bob yesterday afternoon and we all went to see Patti LuPone in “Gypsy” on Broadway. It was great timing, because then Patti, Boyd Gaines and Laura Benanti went on to win Tonys last night! I’ve seen “Gypsy” twice now, the first time with Bernadette Peters. You can’t not like the show. It’s such a phenomenon, with such great songs.

Afterwards we went up to the revolving restaurant at the top of the Marriott Marquis hotel -- I had a martini -- and then we went for sushi at Haru near Times Square. I love it when I get visitors and have a chance to see New York from a tourist perspective. All weekend I’ve been feeling like I’m on vacation.

But now I really DO have to get to work...

(Photo: Stickers on Rivington Street, Lower East Side, May 2008)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i liked the movie too! Karl Malden!

Anonymous said...

gosh i thought eartha was long gone! ste reedo and martini in the same sentence? where am i?

Anonymous said...

Pod: Oh, I've been known to have an occasional martini. I practice Zen but I'm no purist. :)

All: I only belatedly realized this photo is a palindrome -- RATS STAR. Clever, on the part of whoever created it!

Anonymous said...

Patti is BRILLIANT. I first saw her in Evita on Broadway, and since in Sweeny Todd and out here in Seattle in concert - I adore her! Such talent!

Martini's are my favorite - I've been known to have 2 or 3 at at time. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dennis loves a Moustini--shaken not stirred.

Anonymous said...

erm....i never thought you were purist mr reed...
;0o

Anonymous said...

So what did you think of the show on Broadway and Patti's interpretation? It changed didn't it? She is amazingly talented and I am all over La LuPone but I thought she was more fun at City Center (well, Rose was). And on Broadway she had developed the slow slide into nutville and desperation of Mama Rose. I am so thrilled she won the Tony. If she didn't there would surely have been an uprising in Chelsea.