Monday, June 30, 2008

Parade


After the Zendo yesterday morning I went to watch the Pride Parade with my friend Bill. I’m ambivalent about the parade, with all its outrageous costumes, hypersexuality and glut of marchers. (It’s WAY too long.) But on the other hand, it’s fun to watch for a while, and it is an important expression of community.

So, anyway, we watched long enough to see Rue McClanahan stumping for Obama, and newlywed George Takei (Mr. Sulu from “Star Trek”) riding atop a convertible with his partner. Then the skies opened up and it poured rain -- complete with thunder and lightning reminiscent of Florida. I ducked into Banana Republic, but the storm passed quickly and the parade never really stopped, from what I could tell.

(Photo: Street art in Dumbo, Brooklyn, June 2008)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a show! Love it that even Brother Lightning and Brother Thunder go into the act. Well done!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the parade in person.

Anonymous said...

Dennis would have liked the parade.

Anonymous said...

About 30 minutes of any parade is enough for me. After that everything just starts to look the same.

Anonymous said...

I'd hang out for hours just to see that green-headed maniac in the taxi.

Anonymous said...

as long as it's not a military parade I enjoy parades!!

several years ago I visited friends on the west coast. their street was having a street party an impromptu painted (naked or partially naked) children parade happened complete with banging pots and pans. it had to be one of the most organic festive joyful parades I've ever seen!

unfortunately I missed this year's pride parade in cleveland - intended to check it out, but never got downtown. however, I did see lots of folks after they came back at the art fest I was at that afternoon.