Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quiet Time


Still not much to report. Just work and my normal routines, for the most part. I've been trying to focus on finishing "Jane Eyre," which I had to put down for a while -- I'm finally getting toward the end. I'm enjoying it, but I just haven't made the time to sit down and read until now.

I saw "Get Smart" the other day. I always liked the 60s sitcom, but the movie offers further proof that a silly TV show doesn't always offer adequate foundation for a two-hour movie. Steve Carrell, though a good actor and comic, gives Maxwell Smart a bit too much gravitas and style for my taste.

(Photo: Graffiti in SoHo, June 2008)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dennis likes the Brontes.

Anonymous said...

The original Get Smart was so unselfconscious. That can't be duplicated in 2008 - no wonder it wasn't so good.

Thanks for the review, glad you're having a nice, quiet summer. Bravo!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the head's up about 'get smart' - wasn't inclined to go see it, now it's definite.

for me it's hard to get to the movies in the summer - always way too many other activities (outside) going on!

enjoy the weekend! ours is starting early - heading out soon!

Anonymous said...

Steve Carrell is making some bad choices in roles.

Anonymous said...

i couldn't help thinking it wouldn't - couldn't be as good as the show


i must read jane eyre again, its been SO long

Anonymous said...

I loved Jane Eyre. But that was an entirely different time that will never be repeated.

Glad you're back. Your pictures are always great even if your words are slow in coming!

Anonymous said...

maxwell smart + gravitas sounds so wrong (love the graffiti)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about going to see the for "The Rock" but perhaps shall wait until I can rent it.

Good luck with Jane Eyre. I am in the middle of reading The Old Curiosity Shop by Dickens and had to put it down for a bit. I know that it ends badly so have a hard time following through.