Sunday, June 8, 2008

Heat


It's summery and downright hot here in the city this weekend -- 93 degrees was the high yesterday. I went to my friend Jan's in Astoria, Queens, to check out her new apartment. She lives in a cute, lively neighborhood with well-tended postage stamp front yards and lots of interesting restaurants and stores. And she has sunlight actually entering her windows -- unlike me, in Manhattan, where the surrounding buildings leave me in perpetual shadow.

We watched the Belmont Stakes and I couldn't blame Big Brown for petering out. It's too darn hot to be running around a baking racetrack!

(Photo: Philadelphia, May 2008)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww- poor Big Brown. I saw him run at Preakness and he was magnificent.

Regarding the heat, as much as I like light, I find myself keeping my windows covered during the day in an attempt to keep my house cooler. But I miss the sunlight!

Anonymous said...

Poor Big Brown.

Anonymous said...

Meanwhile, it is unseasonably cold and rainy in Southwestern France. We've had to take the coats out again. Maybe we could exchange a bit of our air for a bit of yours, somewhere over the Atlantic ?

Anonymous said...

I love the triple crown.

Anonymous said...

Feel bad for BB. The dates are set for BlogFest and HippieFest . Let's hope for perfect weather.

Anonymous said...

Love the picture steve. Speaking of shadow, a friend of mine bought a house in an Alpine valley - in summer. What he did not know, but would know soon enough, was that he would not see direct sunshine for the entire winter!!!! Bummer. I think he would empathise.