Friday, June 27, 2008

Party


This is GLBT Pride Week in New York, leading up to the big Pride Parade on Sunday. I don’t march in the parade, but I usually try to attend -- it’s a good place to meet up with friends, even though all the floats and marchers get a bit tedious. (These days, it’s all very corporate.)

Anyway, last night we had a party for our GLBT & Allies group at work. It was held on the 30th floor of a building overlooking Madison Square Park, and the views were terrific. We could clearly see the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building, not to mention the Flatiron right next door.

I had a lot of fun -- it’s interesting how socializing with people from work is totally different from working with them! I also got to hang out with a bunch of people I often don’t see during the course of a normal workday.

But it’s funny -- this building had balconies, where I stood for quite a while, talking and admiring the view. Then, after I got home and went to bed, I had scary half-asleep visions of myself and/or others falling from the balconies. Yikes! (I think it must have something to do with the current dire economic situation at work, and our periodic layoffs. Where’s my dream analyst when I need one?)

(Photo: Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, June 2008)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dennis likes the picture, and no more bad dreams for Steve.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you celebrated in style!

I usually skip all things pride related - drunk, stereptypical gay men and two hours of dykes on bikes are not my cup of tea. ;-)

Anonymous said...

two hours of dykes on bikes sounds like a lot, no doubt about it.
do you really need a dream analyst? your own interpretation sounded pretty good to me.

(Love the Flatiron - one of my favorite buildings)

Anonymous said...

Drumroll. Reya, where are you? She is so good at dreams!

Could it have been flashbacks to 9/11?

Anonymous said...

We had our end of the school year/retirement party at work this past Wednesday and you are right in pointing out how socializing with people from work is different from working with them. Probably even more so for you than for me. Well, you have actually met some of the folks I work with in a party situation. So you know they can be a lot of fun.

I love that pic. So hopeful and sad. Talk about optimistic!

Anonymous said...

I figured you were there when I didn't see you at the NLGJA thing. What horrible timing having both events on one night in New York!

Anonymous said...

So glad you had fun at the party, and happy pride week to you! I'll be glad when the time comes where sexuality isn't something that has to be denied or celebrated necessarily, but can just be what it is.

As for your dream, I'm sure the economic situation filtered in, but I'm also thinking about the collapsing cranes and of course the echoes of 9/11 have to be in there somewhere.

Glad it was a dream!!

Anonymous said...

oh dear, that photo is rather humpty dumpty-esque, esp. in light of your dream.

don't fall steve!

Anonymous said...

Yeah that photo is a teensy bit disturbing!!!!