Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sticks and Stones


Well, the marriage-rights debate in front of the Supreme Court has been fascinating to watch. I for one am happy it's over, so I can change my Facebook profile pic back to my actual photo instead of that red equality sign.

If you want an interesting experience, read the comments on The New York Times coverage of the hearings. Because it's the Times, which -- let's be honest -- attracts a generally more knowledgeable readership than some other media outlets, the comments are literate and mostly free from the Bible-thumping silliness that pervades other comment forums. There are both pro and con arguments, by both religious and non-religious people, but they're easier to understand and, frankly, respect.

I am honestly baffled by some of the opposition. One poster said "lefty liberals hate conservatives and traditional marriage with the white-hot passion of a thousand suns," and see this as a chance to outrage conservatives "by destroying their most cherished traditions and families." How advocates of same-sex marriage are destroying anything is a mystery to me. I simply do not get it. And to allege that our actions are driven by hatred is just, well, paranoid.

The United States is such an interesting country. The streak of conservative extremism is fascinating. I think it goes right back to the Pilgrims. I guess all countries have their far-right contingents, but in the U.S. they seem to have mainstreamed themselves quite well.

Anyway, enough of that. If you're like me, you've been buried in this public debate for days now and you'd just as soon think about something else for a while.

So let's talk about Olga. Doesn't the pattern on her back look like the face of a skull?

Last night I was lying in bed when I heard the unmistakable sounds of retching. Sure enough, Olga had been sick -- and what came up was kindling. She'd swallowed enough sticks to light a small fire. My guess is this happened over a period of days, especially when we were in the park on Tuesday (when I let her off the leash and she ran free and played with other dogs to her heart's content). Hopefully that's out of her system now!

Today she goes to Doggy Day Care, and I get a blessed day of freedom from dog-walking. And the sun is even out! Photography, here I come!

(Top photo: Islington, last Thursday.)

7 comments:

Nancy said...

At first glance, I thought Olga was climbing the walls. Silly me. Can't wait to see the photos from your "London Walk on a Sunny Day."

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. Olga's back does look like a skull. What a funny dog she is!
And what a funny country this is.
Have fun today, Steve. Get some good shots. I know you will.

ellen abbott said...

I had a friend who had a dog that would eat all kinds of things...whole rolls of toilet paper, dish cloths, wrapping paper. the dog had to have surgery a couple of times to get the impacted mess out of it's bowels. she had to be very careful what she left in the dog's reach.

The Bug said...

Oh that Olga - up to all kinds of skullduggery (I couldn't resist)...

I understand (but don't agree with) one conservative argument against gay marriage (because I have friends & family members who genuinely believe that gay folks are sinners outside the realm of God). They're going to work hard to make sure these sinners come into the fold. But really, that's not what's driving most of the hate-speak out there. It's just bizarre to me. And you know, the best of my conservative friends & family would just be praying, not hating.

Reya Mellicker said...

Oh Olga. Jake loved eating, then barfing up, sticks. I wonder what is up with that, why they do it. Good lord.

As for marriage equality, those who oppose it are not being rational. Those who talk about the destruction of marriage are - I think - genuinely afraid.

Bizarre.

Lynne said...

Bug, maybe that skulldoggery in Olga's case. ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist either!

I think the whole same sex marriage thing being something "God" did not want or condone started because the church (take your pick) needed and wanted more people to follow them. If you can't have children how is the church going to fill up the coffers? Therefore, same sex marriage didn't benefit them at all.

Anonymous said...

Happy shooting! Can't wait to see what you come back with. I am longing for a day like that!