Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A Colorful Drive


I already mentioned that as Mom and I drove to Jacksonville last Friday, I saw lots of places along the roadside that I wanted to photograph. I didn't stop then, but on the way back to Tampa on Monday I made sure to take a little more time and get out the camera.


I love any kind of road trip, and rural Florida is so ripe for photography. We took a slightly different route this time, too, which gave me access to new sights.


I am a meandering traveler. I like to drive slowly, explore back streets, stop for coffee or lunch.


When I was a kid in the mid-'70s, we used to drive U.S. 301 all the way from Central Florida to the middle of South Carolina, where we could then pick up the still-unfinished I-95 to Maryland. (That's where my grandparents lived.) I eagerly awaited every familiar little town, every slightly tatty motel. It always drove me nuts that my mom was so insistent on driving, driving, driving and we had to bypass all the highway curiosities like South of the Border.


Now that I'm in the driver's seat, the rules have changed!

(Photos, from the top: Green Cove Springs, Keystone Heights, Hawthorne, Lochloosa and Citra.)

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

My dear friend Lis whom I speak of so often lives right outside of Keystone Heights. There ARE some interesting places around there for sure. Florida is just chock-full of funky sights.

Reya Mellicker said...

I am so glad you took the time to capture these places. Wow! And wow.

Southern Florida is like another planet.

Sharon said...

I can really relate to your childhood cravings. When I was a kid, we used to take a two week vacation every year and it always involved a drive somewhere. I always wanted to stop at all the curious places along the way but, dad was intent on the destination. When I could drive myself, things changed. I remember one time when I was driving and stopped the car, dad woke from a nap and said "why are we stopping". He just couldn't figure out why I wanted to look around all these strange places.

Linda Sue said...

I like your rules best. Our family took road trips every summer, in the back seat with my brother spitting, my Grumpy Dad driving and smoking and my Mom trying to keep spirits up, offering gum and snicker bars...Dad would never stop until it was bed time. HORRIBLE!!! My husband is the same way. I drive my own car now and go it alone, much better. LOVE the places you photographed, Unique to Florida!

e said...

Great photos---you would have got on well with my grandfather. He knew and loved many back roads and was always eager to find more.

See you tomorrow!

37paddington said...

Love the way you travel and love that pastel orange shop with the color orange nowhere in sight!

Elizabeth said...

Those are fantastic. I don't know if I've told you this already, but as I drive around my city or even places other than Los Angeles, I think of you whenever I see a storefront or a building that catches my eye. You have influenced how I look at the world--honestly!

By the way, that American Legion is a hoot. How many US flags can one display?