Sunday, September 1, 2024

Plants, Plants, Plants


I found this little mint moth sitting on one of our dahlias yesterday. They are attracted to mint plants, and we have several of those next to this particular dahlia. So I guess it was just taking a breather from eating or laying eggs or doing whatever mint moths do.

We should really put those mint plants in the ground. We have four of them in pots, and I have no idea why they're potted, except that I was too lazy to dig a hole in our heavy clay soil. Maybe next spring.

I was in the garden pretty much all day yesterday, tidying things up.


I filled two yard waste bags with trimmings. Here's what they look like, in case you can't picture exactly what I mean. The trash collectors take yard waste separately and supposedly compost it.

I cut down a rambling rose that we've been talking about removing -- it grew up of its own accord in the middle of another bush, and it just wasn't in a good place. (We have other roses of the same type so it's no great loss.) I cut some more blackberries and cleared some other odds and ends to make it easier to walk around.


This path runs along the far side of our central flowerbed, and in the height of summer we couldn't even get through there. The Hebe and spurge (on the lower right) had overgrown the path. So I cut back the Hebe, pulled up the excess spurge, and mowed the whole area to open it up. Now we have a path again, albeit a narrow one.


Here's the whole garden, post mowing and clearing. We're not getting much rain lately so the grass, in areas that were permitted to grow long or that were overshadowed by other plants, looks quite brown -- but it will bounce back once the rain resumes.


We finally got flowers from one of our holdout dahlias (foreground), which grew well -- once the slugs were vanquished -- but didn't produce buds for the longest time. Now we have only one, the one in the top photo with the mint moth, that hasn't flowered. If it even has buds, they're very tiny. It got a very late start due to the slugs so flowers may not happen this year.

Aside from all the gardening, I read Barbra and did some housework. A quiet Saturday!

45 comments:

  1. Word of warning, Steve: Keep the mint in their pots to confine their roots which, when planted in the ground, spread like wildfire, taking over the garden.

    Credit where it's due: The flora and fauna in your "backyard", your descriptions and photos are a continuing joy to me.

    Sunday greetings,
    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly wouldn't mind if the mint spread. We need some groundcover in some areas. Thanks for enjoying the garden. :)

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking good!
    It sounds like that rambling rose came from the rootstock that another rose variety was grafted onto?
    If you put mint into the ground, it will take over.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that rose grew years ago from a seed, but it could have been rootstock. I'm not sure.

      Delete
  3. "Now we have only one, the one in the top photo with the mint moth, that hasn't flowered." This sentence shows the vital importance of commas. After all, we don't want to see flowering mint moths flapping around.

    No doubt your brother will love this blogpost with its subtle title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden photos always make me so happy (except for when the slugs were eating everything in sight).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that slugfest was no fun for anybody (except the slugs).

      Delete
  5. As usual, it's a lovely peaceful spot ... after all your hard work, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not THAT much work. I just moan about it a lot.

      Delete
  6. My Friday was your Saturday, the difference being- your garden looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we had similar gardening days! What do you mean?! Yours looks fantastic too!

      Delete
  7. Welcome to September ... Sunday morning, in your garden, having my morning coffee ☕ ... What a great way to start a new month and week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could magically transport to our garden bench and enjoy it in person!

      Delete
  8. I love your garden. mine is in such terrible shape since I haven't been able to get out there much this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you've done a lot lately, and all things considered (given your year) I think it looks pretty darn good!

      Delete
  9. Loving those little plant stands. So glad the dahlias finally popped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I feel like I have achieved success when a plant finally flowers.

      Delete
  10. What a marvelous garden. Not that I could do the upkeep these days, but I'm very happy you do. Let me be the nth person to say keep the mint in pots, unless you want a takeover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking a takeover wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm also not sure it would happen in our garden. Our soil is pretty exhausted in some areas.

      Delete
  11. Your garden looks beautiful. The path is lovely and your dahlias produced a nice showing of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the dahlias came through in the end.

      Delete
  12. Those dahlia blooms are beautiful. The whole garden looks very inviting. Sounds like you did a good days work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried planting some mint one of our beds, hoping it would take over. Thanks to our dogs, it never did. They're good at keeping plants in check, but at least they smell good in the process (when it's mint)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my experience too. We put some in the ground and it lasted two years and then got choked out by ivy. I'm sure Olga didn't help. She's a plant bulldozer.

      Delete
  14. Yard upkeep is never ending. You have a wide variety of plants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like those above me said, mint has a habit of taking over, so keep it in the pots.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm too lazy to have a lovely garden like you so it's good that I can enjoy the photos of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden looks wonderful! Before you put the mint in the ground, consider the fact that the roots travel, which results in mint spreading everywhere unless you put some division down, in our case metal sheeta halfway into the ground to all sides of the plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that about mint, but I'd kind of like it to spread, honestly. It would be better than the dock and weedy grass we get in some areas.

      Delete
  18. The garden looks wonderful. I love the various things that grow there. I just read up on mint being invasive, and apparently it spreads by rhizomes and will take over the world. That would be bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We planted it before and that didn't happen. I think our soil is so poor that even invasive plants don't always prosper. (We're trying to make it better gradually.)

      Delete
  19. Yard work is tiring and never really "done", but it's so rewarding - and good exercise. Your garden is a beautiful spot. I like how you've supplemented the in-ground plants with potted ones. I've done exactly zero work around the yard this summer. My son mows and that's it. Hope that the cooler temperatures in the fall allow me to get some motivation to do something with my neglected flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love keeping some plants in pots so they can be moved around and protected from pests.

      Delete
  20. hard work pays off, your garden is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yours is too! I don't have any raccoons. :(

      Delete
  21. Your garden is so beautiful and serene. I would love to sit back there with a book. And a drink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pretty much describes my weekends! (When I'm not gardening, anyway.)

      Delete