Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Pigs, Geese and Designer Couture


Yesterday was, if possible, even busier than Monday. Remember those hundreds of science books we put on carts and took upstairs to the science department in December? Well, yesterday I had to bring them all back to the library -- and the school's elevator wasn't working. Which meant several trips up and down carrying armloads of books, and then my boss and I carried the carts downstairs by hand. Ugh!

And then I had to re-shelve everything.

So, anyway, I'm telling you all that to explain my absence as a reader from blogland. That's also why you're getting another batch of random iPhone photos today, stored up over the past couple of weeks -- a quick post with evergreen material, because I have to be back at work early. Enjoy!

First, the sun making some dramatic shadows at the North Greenwich tube and bus station, last Thursday (above).


I came across these in a shop. I've heard of "pigs in blankets," but never ON them.


This dollhouse, set out on the street for the taking, looks like it's been through some type of natural disaster.


I wonder if this means, "Does anyone else feel anything?" Or, "Does anyone else feel LIKE sh*t?"


Outside the Baker Street tube station, these special holiday lights decorated the lampposts. According to the Baker Street Quarter Partnership, they're geese decorated with blue jewels, inspired by the Sherlock Holmes story "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle." (The fictional Holmes lived and worked on Baker Street in Arthur Conan Doyle's stories.) I haven't read that story but now I'm curious.


This was the doorstep of the pub where I bought my potato chips (or crisps, as Mr. Pudding insists) during my recent walk through Plumstead. I love the old tile work, although this threshold is relatively simple compared to some.

By the way, it's very common in England to see single words or short phrases written with a period. I have no idea why. (Mr. P, can your English teacher background help on that question?)


This discarded wardrobe appeared on my walk to work. It was in rough shape, despite its gauzy curtains.


And speaking of clothing, here's something from our library lost & found -- a Chanel jacket! I think if I'd lost that I'd be in a panic!


Finally, a colorful sticker near the St. John's Wood tube stop. It reminds me of the Grateful Dead's "skull and roses" album, though I'm not sure that's really the reference.

38 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

The shadows photo! Pigs ON toast is very strange and I hope to never feel shit. Well, as in with my hands. I’m sure I’ve read Adventures of the Blue Carbuncle, but will have to read it again. A free Chanel jacket! Is it your size?

Anonymous said...

Carrying books upstairs sound like a cruel and unusual employment condition.

An interesting collection of photos and of course Old Mill needs a full stop, but I can't tell you why.

The Chanel jacket would quite suit you and looks like it would keep you cosy as you to and fro work.

Pigs in blankets aren't really eaten here but they are rather nice. I don't care if they come in or on.

Debby said...

Dia de los Muertos. A common theme is live flowers contrasted against the dead skull. The living and the dead coexist.

The Chanel jacket matches Zach. I'm not quite sure what you should do with that, but I feel compelled to point it out.

Bob said...

If you had a great many more people at work, you could have formed a chain down the stairs and just passed a stack of books to one another until all the upstairs books have come down.

Earthquake Doll House™. New this Christmas!

Ms. Moon said...

How big or small is that jacket? If it's quite small and no one claims it, send it to me for Maggie. Can you imagine a six year old wearing a Chanel jacket to school in North Florida?

Marcia LaRue said...

Save that jacket in Lost & Found and see if the owner claims it!
Some little girl would love that doll house!
Love all of these random photos!

Sharon said...

I can't imagine losing a Chanel jacket. That seems very careless.
I love the selection of photos. That tile entrance is great. I used to see things like that when I was a kid. I wonder how many people actually understood those geese lights.

The Bug said...

I love when you do a photo dump - it's the diversity for me. Fun! Those geese look pretty cool, and I don't really care what they did with the pigs - I could eat one of those right now. Ha!

Anonymous said...

A fine and interesting collection of photos, Steve. I googled Chanel Jacket and, wow, was I ever surprised to see the price on some of those items.

Ed said...

Are all these things on the sidewalk being set out for some sort of bulky trash collection or are they just being set out in hopes someone else takes them? As many pictures of things you see set out along the sidewalks, your sidewalks must be crowded to walk along at times.

Ellen D. said...

That's a fun group of photos.
Shelving all of those books reminds me of when I was a shelver at our local library. I would often wear out the knees of my jeans from kneeling down to put books on the lower shelves! It was a good workout tho!

Joni James said...

Random photos are fun, and often the opportunities are missed. I have a neighbor who loves to readjust the lawn chairs in his yard on purpose just to entertain the neighborhood. That dollhouse was definitely in a mud slide. There's atmospheric rivers in toyland too.

Joni James said...

adorable idea!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

That is not a wardrobe; it is a confessional box. Perhaps you should have entered it to confess your sins to Father O'Pudding sitting within. One sin would be referring to a full stop as a period. A period is something that healthy, ovulating women experience every lunar month. I love that pub doorstep but can offer no conclusive explanation for the full stop after "Old Mill". There was a certain randomness about their use in such situations. We must not imagine that the past was a guild of commonly agreed accuracy just because it was the past.

The Padre said...

Fantastic Post As Always - I Appreciate Those Walks Of Yours

Cheers
P.S. Olga Girl Loves Her Treats - Hint Hint

Kelly said...

I love posts like this and could easily comment on each photo, but instead just I'll ask if "cranberry jewels" are what I'd call "craisins"? (and yes, I know that's probably a trademarked word)

Margaret said...

I like that jacket! I've always been fascinated by doll houses but that one does look wrecked.

jenny_o said...

I've never found those Chanel jackets to be very attractive and don't understand why they are so expensive when they are not inherently beautiful. Although, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know.

Pigs on Blankets reminds me of this: https://www.facebook.com/estherthewonderpig

A whole other thing from pigs in blankets :)

Catalyst said...

Fascinating photos, as always.

Steve Reed said...

Sadly no. I'm not sure it's really my style either. :)

Steve Reed said...

Isn't a pig on a blanket basically a pizza?

Steve Reed said...

Oh, that could be it! Although the Mexican community in London is pretty sparse.

Steve Reed said...

Instead of a fireman's brigade, a librarian brigade!

Steve Reed said...

It's too big for Maggie, now, sadly. But you could always save it for her! (Or give it to the BGGSBJ thrift store!) I'll let you know if it gets claimed.

Steve Reed said...

The doll house DID disappear, so I'm assuming someone adopted it.

Steve Reed said...

Probably very few. I didn't understand them until I looked them up online!

Steve Reed said...

The geese do make me want to read that Holmes story.

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, NOT cheap! Unless it's a knockoff, but if it is, it's a good one.

Steve Reed said...

It's pretty common here for people to set things out on the street (or on their garden wall) if they want to get rid of them. If something's sitting on the wall next to the rubbish, I assume it's available!

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, I wear out the knees in my pants too. It's an occupational hazard!

Steve Reed said...

You should do a photo essay on your neighbor's chair configurations. (If they're interesting!)

Steve Reed said...

Today the wardrobe was still there but the curtains were gone! Is there also a partial stop?

Steve Reed said...

Don't worry -- she got several yesterday. :)

Steve Reed said...

I haven't the slightest idea what a "cranberry jewel" is, but I'd guess you're right on the mark.

Steve Reed said...

It's definitely seen better days!

Steve Reed said...

They do have a very distinctive look, though. The minute I saw it hanging on the back of the chair I thought, "That's Chanel!" And I suppose wearing one is partly about the status associated with having it recognized for what it is.

Re. Esther: OH MY GOD! A HOUSE PIG!

Steve Reed said...

Well, fascinating might be overstating it, but I'll accept mildly interesting. :)

Edna B said...

There's something sad looking about the doll house. It should'nt be helter skelter like this one is. I wouldn't miss that jacket. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.