Sunday, February 20, 2022

A New Orchid


Our mystery orchid is finally blooming. This is one that I adopted from school about two years ago, and we hadn't yet seen it bloom. I think it's a nice flower, don't you?

This plant is unusual because it has grown two little mini-plants from its flower stalk, and these flowers are coming from one of those plants. I'm sure if I cut the stalk and put the mini-plants in orchid compost I could have two more orchids. As I often say, however, I need a new orchid like I need a hole in the head.

Here's another view so you can see what I'm talking about:


Yes, that's Olga in the background, snoozing on the couch. She barely moved all day yesterday. In fact, none of us did. It was rainy and windy and once again we didn't open the front door at all, much less leave the house. (At least until our dinner delivery arrived last night -- hamburgers!)

I did a bunch of stuff around the house. I cleaned our front windowsills, which is a major undertaking involving moving a lot of plants and cleaning vases and other tchotchkes, and I vacuumed and did laundry. At night we watched Netflix's tornado movie, "13 Minutes," which I thought was really good. (Perfect timing considering our recent experiences with hurricane-force Eunice!)

20 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Ooh, I’ve been craving a good hamburger. Olga looks like an orchid herself. Both beauties.

Anonymous said...

'13 Minutes'. I wonder if the film lasts thirteen minutes, which would quite suit my attention span.

I a croaky old voice, Olga says, I have my good days and bad days.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"I need a new orchid like I need a hole in the head"... I feel I am duty bound to inform you that you already have five holes in your head. Another one shouldn't make too much difference.

Bob said...

Orchids are so gently beautiful.

We also had that never set foot out of the house day; cold and windy, I snuggled with a cat most of the dat!

Beth Reed said...

Hi Steve,
If you can grow Orchids that are that beautiful, I would say go for it, hole in the head or not LOL. Yes I do think that made for a beautiful picture.

Olga seems to understand that wind and rain makes for a day of snoozing lol. I bet that the pressure from Hurricane Eunice had her joints hurting and she just wanted to sleep.

I had a surprise visit from my son so I never got to blog so I need to get on that. Have a great day. xx

Ms. Moon said...

You are the orchid master!

Wilma said...

How can you NOT start a new orchid?

ellen abbott said...

Pretty orchid. I think it's a phalaenopsis. That was my day Friday. No cleaning, just not going out in the cold.

Anonymous said...

If I could somehow ship my languishing orchid to you, I would do it. It needs the kind of care you give. Your orchids always look so beautiful.

Pixie said...

The orchid is beautiful. Two years for a blossom, you are a patient man:)

Red said...

Picking up discarded plants and getting them back to normal can be surprising and satisfying.

Sharon said...

You do have magic green fingers. A very pretty bloom indeed.
Your day sounds similar to mine only without the rain. I made a trip to a grocery store I hate to buy something I can't seem to find at my local store only to find that the dreaded store was out.

The Bug said...

That is a pretty flower - well worth the wait! I didn't leave the house yesterday either, except to dump the recycling in the outside bin. I was VERY productive inside though, which was a nice change from the usual. Ha!

Kelly said...

Under your circumstances, I'd have stayed in all day, too. We ended up with a beautiful day and I was happy I took a short road trip to meet up with my daughter's family.

I'm glad your salvaged orchid rewarded you by blooming.

Jeanie said...

Definitely a stunning bloom. I would have done just the same as you in the storm -- stay in, order out!

Margaret said...

That's beautiful! I love orchids although I've never owned one. My track record with indoor plants is abysmal.

Debby said...

You make growing orchids seem just as easy as Olga snoring on the couch. I am so tempted to try it. Then I take a look at my cyclamen and African violets, and get the idea that I should wait and see if they come back from the brink of simultaneous deaths.

Barbara said...

New plants growing off an old spike are called keikis, the Hawaiian word for babies. As long as there’s a few roots, you can cut the baby and roots off and pot it. Certain species are more prone to creating them than others. It’s a lovely bloom! Great rescue! I feel like doing an Olga today and just snoozing on the sofa.
Xoxo
Barbara

Ellen D. said...

You have so many wonderful talents that you share with us, Steve! Thanks so much!

River said...

It's a very pretty flower and I think you should definitely try the repotting idea, but maybe wait until the flowering has finished.