Sunday, November 12, 2023

I've Written an Encyclopedia

Olga explores the autumnal garden

Well, I went out yesterday to take a look at the dahlias, in preparation for lifting the tubers, and they all still have leaves -- in some cases quite a lot of leaves. They're still big and bushy. Which makes me think it's too early to lift them. I'm going to hold off another week or two. There's no frost in the forecast, so no rush.

Instead of lifting dahlias, I lifted the bed in our bedroom and performed my semi-annual cleaning beneath it, including vacuuming up a Sahara's worth of dust and combing through Dave's ridiculously large and cobwebby collection of shoes. He owns about 15 pairs and wears about three. He did agree to get rid of some of them, which is progress.

I also changed the sheets and towels and took everything to the laundry, vacuumed the rest of the house and took care of all the plants. Look!


That's our light pink Thanksgiving cactus, which grew from a cutting that blog reader Frances sent me a couple of years ago. It's got lots of buds this year and seems to be prospering.


Remember the prayer plant I repotted a couple of weeks ago? Suddenly it has a little crop of mushrooms growing in the pot. Hmmmm...maybe I'm keeping it too damp! The plant seems happy, though, and has several new leaves.


In the afternoon, after reading some Dickens and eating a bizarre leftover-driven lunch (basically refried beans on toast), I took Olga to the cemetery. She chased her ball and had a good time. No sign of the turaco -- it has vanished once again to wherever it goes in the winter.


Here's a strange story. This place took over a vacant shopfront near Fortune Green way back in the spring. The owners brought in furniture, erected a nice sign and put in a bunch of planters and filled them with beautiful flowers. And then -- nothing. For months, every time I passed this place, it was locked up and there were no signs of life. Last week I did actually see a human being inside the shop, but the furniture is still stored haphazardly, the windows are filthy and I have yet to see any baked goods.

In a sign of how unreliable Google reviews are, I was amused to find two reviews for this place. One of them gave it five stars merely for existing, and the other gave it three stars and said "the bakery was excellent and good but the windows looked very dirty." I don't see how that person could have a clue how good the bakery is, unless it was actually open for about five minutes at some point and I missed it.

Anyway, it's a mystery. They seem in no rush to open, or if they are open, to make that more apparent.

This morning, when I opened my e-mail, an ad for Maserati cars popped up. I must have triggered some algorithm by being a fifty-something male who's likely to be having a mid-life crisis. That's better than some of the spam e-mail I got, including one with the subject line, "Four signs that parasites are living in your body." Maybe they know I was in the Peace Corps?

Oh, and Fresca recently posted an interesting link to a company that will turn a blog into a book. You can upload a blog's URL and they'll show you a sample of the printed version and tell you how much the whole job would cost. In my case, it would cost $3,294.78 to print my blog in 24 volumes. HA!

23 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Have a word with your new boss. I am sure she will be happy to purchase two or three book versions of "Shadows and Light". It will undoubtedly be very popular in the school community but I suggest that you employ a pen name e.g. Kent C. Strait.

Peter said...

And you don't think Shadows and Light would be a bestseller?
Cheers

Bob said...

It might be nice to print my blog but the price is a joke.

Fresca said...

Congratulations! Isn't it impressive how much we've written over the years? (Not to say quantity = quality, but still, it's impressive). Wasn't it fun to see what our writing would look like in a book format? but that price is outrageous, and where would I put my 28 volumes?
I'm thinking I might put together a Best Of/My Favorite Posts on a word program and print them myself--much cheaper.

I think fans would love a "Best of Olga"!

Boud said...

After the thousands of posts I've written, I think a book format would require a new bookcase.

That's mysterious about the non shop. Maybe it comes to life at night..

Ellen D. said...

I noticed buds on my Christmas (Thanksgiving?) cactus also! More than I have ever seen before. It will be nice to see those blooms.
Do you have a commenting routine, Steve? I have noticed that often you do not reply to comments but sometimes you do. I must admit that I miss it when you don't reply but I can understand that you might be too busy sometimes.

ellen abbott said...

maybe the bakery is only open weekends. I remember a site that will print out blogs into book form. can't remember what it is but they also offered a digital download for something like less than $5. I figured I could print them myself and then explore bookbinding. I have my first two years in digital form but never followed through after that.

Allison said...

I have been considering using blog2print to make books. However, between the 15 years of photo albums and blogging since 2008, that's a lot of printed matter. I'll probably never do it, but I like to think about it. If you wait around, they will offer you discounts on printing.

Kelly said...

I printed out my first blog (on Yahoo 360) and put it in a binder. Two and a half years' worth. I'm glad I did since it's now lost in cyberspace. They should offer you a discount for the sheer volume of yours!

Those tiny little mushrooms are so cute!!

Ms. Moon said...

Oh my god. That's a lot of volumes of printed blogs! And the price is pretty crazy but maybe not when you consider the amount of material. That would be such a hoot to do.
I had some little mushrooms spring up in a plant and before I knew it, the plant was dead. Hopefully, that will not happen to your pretty prayer plant.
Do you suppose that Sweet Corner is a money-laundering operation?

Sharon said...

I think the "blog" is a lot more permanent than a book would be.
I love how those algorithms pick up on such details about us all. I seem to have suddenly turned into a world traveler. I'm getting all kinds of deals on travel to far-away places.
You can add the Sweet Corner along with Swiss Butter to the world of culinary mysteries.

Margaret said...

I shudder to think how much my blog would cost. That is a strange shop indeed! If I saw the person inside, I would knock on the door and ask. I'm overly curious!

Red said...

I have an answer for your mystery. the owners are putting their own comments on Google!!!

Debby said...

I agree with Red.

The Bug said...

How weird about the shop! As a sweetaholic I would be so disappointed to never see it open.

I thought about printing my blog but I just couldn’t drum up enough interest in it. I would MAYBE consider printing the poetry but that feels really weird to me. And now that I’ve written that sentence, me feeling that way is the weird thing. Ha!

Andrew said...

Our London friend did this printing of her recounts of visits to ever Overground Station. I don't know what the end product looks like but I'm sure she would not have paid anything like that price.

Catalyst said...

So, Steve, you are getting older. Maybe it's time to drive Olga to the cemetery in your new Maserati, taking time of course to pick up your order at the secret door for Special Customers only at Sweet Corner. Walking can be tiring for Senior Citizens, you know.

Janie Junebug said...

I can't wait for Shadows & Light to be available in book form. Will you offer a discount to those of us who purchase all 24 volumes? I hope you continue to look down at us little people with kindness as you swan around in your Maserati.

Love,
Janie

River said...

Your garden is looking nice and wildernessy this time of year.
I once had several of my earliest posts made into a book and gave it to my older sister as a Christmas gift. She is somewhat mentally challenged and doesn't really understand how computers work, so she was happy to be able to read some of the things I'd written back then. I imagine it would cost a lot more these days.

Steve Reed said...

YP: We actually do have some of my photo books in the library. But the blog would be a bit much! (Especially the parts where I complain about the kids and computer chargers.)

Peter: Well, I dunno -- Karl Ove Knausgard has made millions writing multiple books about his own life!

Bob: If I heard Blogger was going to disappear I might print selected meaningful posts into a single volume. I wonder what it does with videos and links?

Fresca: The books DO look nice, but yeah, there's no need to print the whole blog. Maybe bits and pieces.

Boud: Well, it's true, I've never been past it after dark!

Ellen D: See next post! I answered your question there. :)

Ellen: No, if anything, it's the opposite, because I usually walk past on weekends. I really don't think it's open at all, though. The interior is a mess.

Allison: I just don't see the point, really. This is an inherently ephemeral medium. It's like trying to print a radio show.

Kelly: Wow! Well, good for you for saving it. Did Yahoo 360 just vanish? Did they give people a chance to move their content to another platform? I'm hoping if Blogger ever goes belly-up we'll have that opportunity.

Ms Moon: I looked online and the "experts" say mushrooms won't kill a plant. But I think they CAN indicate overly-wet soil, which definitely will kill some plants.

Sharon: Ha! Well, at least Swiss Butter is open! I still don't get that one.

Margaret: I almost asked the time I saw that guy inside, but he was busy with something and I didn't want to interrupt.

Red: Ha! I suspect so!

Debby: Yeah, or maybe their kids or spouses or something.

Bug: If you have your photos saved elsewhere that's probably all you need, since your blog is mostly photos anyway. I have my photos on Flickr and on my own hard drives so they're backed up in several places.

Andrew: What an interesting project. I'm always intrigued by people who are so into our public transit system. (I know that would include you!)

Catalyst: Ha! I'm not sure a Maserati would have space for my walker!

Janie: If you purchased all 24 volumes I'd report you to your local mental health authority!

River: That's a nice idea! I printed some of my earliest digital photography and gave it for Christmas one year. I think some people appreciated it more than others!

Jeanie said...

Big smiles at this post. I love the mushrooms. I probably read too much fantasy as a kid but to me mushrooms were always fairy houses and if that's the case, you have a subdivision of (hopefully) very nice Tinkerbells on your side!

Love that cemetery cross.

I had one of those books done-- I picked on year for it (2020, Covid Year). I'm glad I did it; it was beautiful. But I wouldn't do it again unless I won the lotto.

HOWEVER, a blog needs to be "public" to do it, but you can set up a second blog, copy and paste the posts you want to keep into that blog, and have that printed. Then you get your best you can edit (you'd need to edit out videos), and have the record of it. I might try that with some "Best of Marmelade Gypsy" posts -- just cherry pick them. Someday.

Kelly said...

When Yahoo 360 shut down, they gave notice along with instructions for saving the blog to a zip file (for transfer to another blogging platform). At the time I didn't have the internet capabilities to even remotely consider doing that. So, it just went away and I eventually deleted my Yahoo account. It's probably still out there somewhere, but I have no desire to try and locate it. Fortunately, when I decided to move from Blogger to WP, I was able to visit one of my kids and use his internet to save and transfer it all.

Moving with Mitchell said...

The mushroom prayer plant pot could be an alien world. We’ve got the same shoe situation at ours. Fortunately no room for them under the bed because that space is filled with covered plastic tubs.