Tuesday, January 23, 2024

A Whole Lot of ABBA


I thought you might all appreciate a photo of the mysterious Ikea shopping cart. It was still there when I went to work yesterday morning, but I didn't check last night. I suspect it will linger on our street for days if not indefinitely.

So, I learned something interesting yesterday. Remember how I mused recently about the word pupil vs. the word student? Well, some commenters made me think about the origins of the word and how it may relate to the pupil of the eye, or the pupal stage of an insect. Were all these words related? If so, why?

Well, I looked it up, and it turns out they all stem from the Latin words pupa, or its forms pupulus or pupilla, which mean child, little boy and little girl. Pupil in the educational sense is obvious, as is the pupal (young or developmental) stage of an insect; the pupil of the eye is so named because of the tiny reflection of we see when looking into someone's eye. Other words with the same root include puppet.

Pretty interesting, right?!

But to be honest, that's not really what I want to talk about today. I want to talk about...


...ABBA!

Last night, after work, I went with my friend Colin to see the ABBA Voyage show at the ABBA arena (yes, they have their own dedicated theatre) in East London. This is the show where digitized versions of ABBA as they appeared in their heyday perform on stage. I was a big ABBA fan as a young person (weren't we all?), I owned several of their albums (didn't we all?) and they're still on my iTunes as we speak. So I was very curious about how this was going to work, and what it would look like.

Well, I'm happy to report that the show was totally worth my £80 ticket price. The "performers" appear on stage looking like actual humans, with large images projected onto screens so you can see their digital faces in detail. They look pretty natural -- kind of like a good CGI character in a movie. There are tiny flaws in the movement of small facial muscles, and other giveaways that make you realize you're watching a digital image, but they are very subtle and overall the singers look realistic enough that you ultimately buy the illusion. I developed a crush on Benny all over again.

(Of course recordings and photos were prohibited, but there are clips of the show at the link above so you can see what I'm talking about.)

There are also actual humans on stage -- a live band with backup singers, though I'm pretty sure the music we heard was almost all pre-recorded. They even got to do a number, a gender-swapped version of "Does Your Mother Know?" I assume this is largely to give the audience the sense that they're applauding for some actual people and not just digital images.

I cannot explain how the digital singers were projected onto the stage. There was no obvious scrim or surface upon which to project them, and they certainly appeared three dimensional. They looked opaque against the lighting effects behind them. But they would occasionally vanish in an instant, as if with the flip of a switch, and at least once they strolled off into the darker recesses of the stage. I don't get it!

The lighting effects, including a couple of animated story sequences, were spectacular. And the digital renderings of the costumes looked VERY real. I couldn't get over how the fabric draped and the sequins sparkled.


As for the audience, the evening was quite a scene. People were there in fancy dress, wearing Anni-Frid and Agnetha wigs or colorful bell-bottoms, like these women I snapped in the tube station on the way home. Again, lots of sequins. And the place was packed! On a Monday night! ABBA is a money machine.

We heard all the hits, including some lesser-known ones like "Summer Night City," and a couple of newer songs that I didn't know. You haven't lived until you've seen a bunch of middle-aged, heavyset British guys there with their wives, waving their hands in the air and singing "Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight..."

Of course the finale was "Dancing Queen," and there was even an encore!


Dave, meanwhile, was home with Olga and having adventures of his own. Here's the text he sent me, which I didn't get until after the show:


Ultimately, we don't have much more information than that. Dave never saw the suspicious package or learned why it was deemed suspicious and not just someone's Amazon delivery. But apparently the police and the bomb squad were swarming around in the street for a couple of hours. It was all over by the time I got home to happily find him and Olga unharmed!

34 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

That sounds like so much fun -- ABBA, not the bomb squad.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

It all sounds like a fabulous experience.

Howvever, just to confirm that there are exceptions to every rule - I was never an ABBA fan - big or small - and I'm proud to say that I never owned one record by ABBA. My musical tastes were already established by the time ABBA sang "Waterloo" at The Eurovision Song Contest which is something else that I avoid like The Plague.

What you had to say about the etymology of the term "pupil" was much more interesting.

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: Yeah, the bomb squad, not so much!

YP: You are just slightly older than me, so I suspect (as you say) you pre-date the ABBA bandwagon. In the late '70s, when ABBA was at their peak, I was 12 or 13 -- pretty much the perfect age to be a fan.

Andrew said...

That makes sense of pupil and I can see the difference between pupil and student.

I didn't know there were live performers at the Abba show.

I really like Gimme a Man after Midnight. I am amused at all the straight guys singing it.

The show sounds like a whole lot of fun, and I confess to being sceptical when I first heard about it.

Tasker Dunham said...

Well, I'm older than YP and passed over ABBA at first, until I realised how incredibly well-produced their records are, and what brilliant songs. As regards the show, we soon won't be able to tell what is real and what isn't.

Pixie said...

I love ABBA too, my first boyfriend was a huge fan and introduced me to their music. Sounds like an amazing concert, the bomb threat, not so much. Scary. Glad it was a false alarm.

Bob said...

I, along with our dearly departed Anne Marie, are one of those non-ABBA fans, though the show did sound interesting.
But Dave and Olga's adventure piqued my interest. i wonder what made anyone suspicious of the package and what are those neighbor's doing.

Ed said...

Somewhere along the way, I have heard of that ABBA show and the holograms. It sounded like a neat way to see one of their concerts.

Boud said...

I've always loved ABBA, and I'm old! I love the wall of sound, and the musicianship. So Dave had his own show going while you were at yours. I wonder if it was a prank call that alerted the finest to an innocent delivery.

Ms. Moon said...

Oh dear- don't shoot me. I never gave two thoughts to ABBA. Seriously. And thought of watching their digitalized versions dance about makes me feel quite uneasy. I watched the clips you linked and that's just scary to me.
I am too old for this new world.
Glad there wasn't a bomb.

Marcia LaRue said...

Geez ... I'm 80 and I love ABBA! I have a couple of their CDs.

Sharon said...

Wow, quite an eventful evening all over London. I heard a story about that ABBA show on the radio three for four weeks ago. It sounded very interesting and something I would have enjoyed. I would have been one of they grey heads waving my arms in the air.
I'm glad the package scare turned out "much ado about nothing".
Now, I might have to play some ABBA today.

Red said...

ABBA yes! I still have the LPs even if I don't have a turntable. Used to listen to ABBA hour after hour. I still listen to them on You Tube.

ellen abbott said...

I was raising babies and getting my etched glass studio going in ABBA's heydey and no I never had a single album of theirs. but I do like their music. those digital images were very good but isn't ABBA still together? seems I heard fairly recently that they were back together, new album? so why weren't they actually performing. or I guess this isn't just a concert for a couple of nights but goes on regularly.

The Bug said...

What fun! I'm glad you had a good time. Also, since it turned out to not be anything, how exciting about the bomb scare.

Ellen D. said...

I guess I was too old for ABBA also, although, I did enjoy some of their songs. Can ABBA still perform live? I imagine that ABBA gets some of the proceeds from this digital show but live shows would be better maybe. Glad you enjoyed it and glad that Dave and Olga were safe!

Susan said...

I always found ABBA upbeat and fun. All good memories. Digitized ABBA sounds amazing and from your description it is all very well done. Having the bomb squad across the street is scary. At least it was all a false alarm. Thank goodness.

Allison said...

That's amazing technology. How do they do that?

The Padre said...

Excellent Photo Of You And Olga Girl The Bomb Sniffing Dog Would Like An Extra Treat After All That Commotion

Stay Groovy ,
Cheers

Jim Davis said...

Like Allison I find the technology used on ABBA Voyage to be fascinating, "how do they do that?" ABBA was and even more surprisingly (to me) now remains an immensely popular phenomenon, years later. I loved the photo in the Tube station of the ladies in costume and your description of the middle aged men and their wives singing!! The bomb scare, not so much.

Rachel Phillips said...

I never had an ABBA record at all but I still loved them, My mum had a tape she played in the car. I think it was probably a bit uncool to buy an ABBA album but we still all loved their music.

Michael said...

That ABBA event sounds like so much fun! I think after I post this I may listen to some ABBA! What a weird thing...the bomb. Glad it was nothing.

Catalyst said...

I would have been much more entertained by the bomb squad. ABBA was not on my playlist nor will it ever be. We tried to watch that movie about them once and had to turn it off to keep our meals down.

Haddock said...

Abba is still one of my fav band group especially for the fact that they held on to the top position for a long time (with ease) and also for the fact that they were around during my teen days.
Oh yes I learned something about Pupil today.

Will said...

I well remember ABBA winning Eurovision with "Waterloo" - I watched it with my future in-laws. I was always a great fan of their music - very slick and professionally produced, and very good lyrics. I seem to remember reading somewhere when they were at the height of their popularity that they were Sweden's most valuable export, ahead of Saab and Volvo.

Linda Sue said...

oh GOD I am so jealous!!! ABBA, even the illusion...Expensive but , yes i would have paid and gone too!!

Margaret said...

ABBA is catchy but I was never a huge fan. I'm more a rock person.

Bohemian said...

From ABBA to a false Bomb Scare Alarm, damn, busy you are! *LOL* Dare I say I wasn't an ABBA Fan, but I recall when we lived in England they were HUGE at the time and I always have Mad Respect for anyone in a competitive Industry that can make such an indelible mark like that. Seems Taylor Swift is doing it these days here across the Pond, I am not a Fan, but the Girl definitely has Branded herself superbly and it's all Good when Entertainment is being appreciated by those who enjoy whatever Genre of Performing Arts it is. Glad the Scare was much ado about nothing, whew. In the 1970's when we lived in England there were so many Bomb Scares it became Routine, the Drills anyway, and thankfully all were false alarms... which is better than it being NOT.

River said...

I love ABBA though in the beginning I got fed up with the number of times I heard Mamma Mia on the radio and declared I hated ABBA, it took a couple of years for the hype to settle down and then I liked them. I also have many of their songs on my playlists. We only owned two Albums though, the first one, whatever that was and a later one called ABBA Gold.

Yael said...

I loved and still love Abba, and I'm not that young anymore.

Steve Reed said...

Andrew: Yeah, the guys all singing Man after Midnight was pretty funny -- a high point of the show, I thought!

Tasker: It DOES have interesting implications for concerts. Will we be seeing Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin "live" onstage again?

Pixie: The bomb thing was surreal! I couldn't believe it! Dave always jokes that weird things happen when I'm not home, and once again this proves it.

Bob: Yeah, Dave didn't know and the police apparently weren't saying. I wondered the same thing. What made it suspicious?

Ed: It was VERY cool, even from just a technology point of view.

Boud: I suppose it could have been a prank. Very mysterious!

Ms Moon: Yeah, you don't strike me as an ABBA fan. I think you like your music grittier than that. I didn't find the concert unsettling at all -- kind of miraculous, in fact. Wouldn't you get a kick out of seeing the youthful Rolling Stones digitally?

Marcia: Well, I didn't mean to imply that ONLY people of my age liked them. Clearly they have a lot of fans of all ages!

Sharon: It's a shame I didn't think to mention it to you while you were in town! Oh well, next time. :)

Red: They are very listenable! I'm not sure any other singing group has had such widespread appeal across ages and genders and nationalities.

Ellen: Yes, this "concert" is basically a permanent event. I think ABBA did make some new recordings recently -- they mentioned it and performed some of them in the show -- but they may not be interested in playing live now. Touring is hard work!

Bug: Exciting and alarming, both!

Ellen D: I haven't heard of them doing a live show in many, many years. I think this is a way for them to "tour" without having to actually do it. Besides, this allows them to "perform" as their youthful selves, rather than at their current ages.

Susan: It was VERY well done. I was quite impressed.

Allison: I DON'T KNOW! It's astonishing to me too!

Padre: Ha! The thought of Olga as a "bomb-sniffing dog" makes me laugh. She might sniff out a bomb if there was a treat underneath it. :)

Jim: It IS impressive how enduring their appeal is. (Of course this is partly due to "Mamma Mia" and "Muriel's Wedding," which both used ABBA songs in their soundtracks.)

RacheL: Yeah, they were considered uncool, kind of like Barry Manilow. But also like Manilow they sold a ton of records and were very capable musicians.

Michael: Yeah, dust off those ABBA records! They're worth listening to!

Catalyst: Ha! I rarely meet people who have such a negative reaction to ABBA. What is it about them that prompts such revulsion? LOL

Haddock: Yes, I think their appeal is rooted both in their musical ability and nostalgia.

Will: I've heard that too! I didn't become aware of them in the states until after the "Waterloo" years. The first song of theirs I remember hearing on the radio was "Dancing Queen," which I think was in 1976 or so?

Linda Sue: Why didn't we go when you were here?! I didn't even think of it!

Margaret: Yeah, I think many people consider them too bubble-gum, but for bubble-gum pop they're quite sophisticated. Better than The Archies, for example. LOL

Bohemian: Yes, historically speaking, the British take bomb scares seriously and with good reason!

River: Was that during the "Mamma Mia" movie/show boom, in 2000 or so, or when it was first released back in the '70s? "Mamma Mia" was never my favorite of their songs but I can take it or leave it.

Yael: I think it's safe to say that nowadays they appeal to many ages. But I can see how when they first came out, some older people may have been dismissive of them.

Jeanie said...

I love that you learn something new every day blogging! And today it was "pupa"!

ABBA -- Can't beat 'em. When I was working with PBS, we could count on making a bundle during pledge with an ABBA special. Their music just makes you want to dance. Mamma Mia was just here again (after 25 years? Close, at least) and sold out the big performance hall (over 2000 seats) for several nights. I'm sure everyone left with a smile. So I'm really glad to hear that this is a well done show, worth the admission and not just another "tribute" kind of thing that leaves you nostalgic for the real thing.

Ms. Moon said...

I'm going to answer your reply because that IS an interesting question- would I like to see the younger Rolling Stones digitally in a setting like that?
I don't know. I don't think so. I can watch old videos on Youtube any time I want which I know is not nearly the same thing. I've heard that Mick has said that it was inevitable that the Stones would be presenting shows like this and I think a part of me hoped he was being sarcastic.

River said...

When the song was first released in the 70s.