Friday, January 19, 2024

Deep Breathing


Here's more graffiti I came across on my walk on Tuesday. I'm sure this person is trying to imitate Abotz, whose cat faces featured in my post two days ago. The one above is pretty amateurish compared to Abotz but it's kind of funny. Go big or go home, right?

Thanks for your comments on my post yesterday. I loved reading everyone's thoughtful responses to our current politics. It made me feel better to write out my thoughts, and to read all of yours as well. (I'll respond to them later today.) Just to be clear -- although I'm sorry the Democrats aren't doing a better job getting their message out, there is no chance that I won't vote for Biden in November. I am not waffling on that. He's got my vote all the way.

My personality is such that in any situation, I like to imagine the worst-case scenario and prepare myself to accept it. I do this with medical tests, I do it with any other stressful situation, and I do it with politics too. So this was my way of thinking through my response to a Trump victory. Hopefully, like many of my worst-case scenarios, it won't come to pass.

Speaking of medical things, I got my report back from my lung scan. It once again found mild thickening of the airways. To put it in the doctor's own words, there was "very subtle generalised diffuse prominence of the airway walls which is non-specific and could lie within the wide range of normal variation. I suspect however it probably does represent some mild airways inflammation." On the plus side, he said there was no bronchial dilation, significant structural abnormality, fibrosis or anything else worrying, and that my lungs were "reassuringly unchanged" from the last scan a couple of years ago. So that's good.

Bottom line -- I may have some mild thickening from inflammation, which I suspect is connected to acid reflux, or I may just be built this way. In any case, it's apparently nothing too severe, though it is occasionally uncomfortable. I still think it's very mild bronchiectasis, but perhaps so mild that calling it that would overstate its severity -- if that makes sense.

Dave has also been having some interesting medical adventures. The doctors have told him he needs surgery next month to repair a hernia, so when we get back from our trip to LA he's having an outpatient procedure for that. It's always something, right? I'm glad they're finally fixing it -- Dave has a couple of hernias and up to now the doctors have said they're not serious and don't demand repair, but they're making Dave uncomfortable and I'm glad the doctors have finally come around to fixing them.

I just finished a book that I enjoyed called "Destination Unknown" by Bill Konigsberg. It's a YA novel about a couple of gay boys in 1980s New York, and it reminded me a lot of my own college years -- coming out at the height of the AIDS crisis and contending with all that fear and uncertainty. I've written at length about my own experiences during that time. Konigsberg is a good writer -- he wrote another YA gay novel I enjoyed, called "The Music of What Happens," and I'm glad he's out there producing books for young gay readers.

20 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Good news about the airways. Too bad a cure didn't come with it.

Sorry about Dave. Glad it's being taken care of and that it's out-patient surgery.

I tend to work through worst-case scenarios in my head, as well. Your worst-case on the Orange Menace isn't half as bad as mine.

It's interesting about that graffiti. It's good, yet lacks a certain energy that the truly good art includes.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Good health and a body that does what it is supposed to do - precious gifts that should not be taken for granted if you have them.

John Going Gently said...

I applaud your American proactive view on health
It would exhaust me x

Sabine said...

There's always one thing after another, but you - both - seem to be in good hands.

I usually refrain from giving health advice, each to their own and so on, but regarding possible inflammation due to reflux, have you considered or been advised to raise the upper half of your bed slightly so that you don't have reflux in your sleep?

Michael said...

I am the same way as you. I always think the worst, preparing myself for all of the "what ifs". I try not to be that way, but I am. I love Bill Konigsberg. I have read most of his books and I feel he does a good job of depicting young gay life. I especially enjoyed "The Music of What Happens."

The Bug said...

I do the same thing with potential bad news - I picture the absolute worst scenario until I think I can manage it, and then I'm pretty sure I can handle what really happens.

Jeanie said...

That's good news on the lungs. Trust me, if it's bronchiectasis you can manage it when the time comes and if it isn't, all to the good! (Don't know if you saw my other comment on that a few posts back -- I was catching up!) Bummer that Dave needs surgery, though -- but it sounds like it is time, given the discomfort. I hope all will go well and be easily scheduled.

I'm a very positive and optimistic person but it's pretty hard not to have a worst case scenario when dealing with Trump. It's so baffling. Every day he feels more unhinged and yet still attracts cultish followers. I just don't get it.

Ms. Moon said...

That sounds like fine news to me about your lungs. You're going to live, Steve!
You know I'm exactly the same way, especially about medical stuff. As to the political- well, as bad as I thought Trump would be as a president he was worse and if he got elected again, I'm not sure our Democracy WOULD survive.
I'm glad that Dave's getting that hernia repair. He'll be grand!

Red said...

Some of the symptoms we get are just nagging enough to make us worry. You make some good possibilities from the symptoms.

37paddington said...

I'm glad your medical issues are relatively minor and controlled, and that Dave will get some relief from his issues soon. Yes, it's always something. I'm off to read your post from yesterday, which I suspect touches on my worst fears for this election season.

Ellen D. said...

I'm a worrier too! I always regret it when I waste time like that but can't seem to stop myself. Glad your tests turned out well and that Dave will get his hernia repaired.

Sharon said...

I can relate to your "worse case scenario" way of looking at things. I had such a bad reaction the last time he won, I'm trying to brace myself for it happening again. I'd like to think it won't but I want to be more prepared this time.
The book you described made me think of a book I read about 20 years ago called "The Three Junes" by Julia Glass. It was one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read.

Allison said...

Those were awful times. Television is now portraying AIDS as no big deal, take a pill, it's easy; they shouldn't do that. The cough sounds very annoying, for what ever reason is causing it.

Susan said...

Like you, I am proactive regarding health. IT is best to keep on top of things and you and Dave are right to be vigilant. Regarding, DT we all rightfully worry. I am waiting to see what happens in NH.

Margaret said...

It does seem like more and more health things occur at this age. I'm older than you by a lot and am noticing it also. Unchanged is good! I prepare myself by imagining the worst-case scenario too. Like you, I will vote for Biden and hope that he wins. Yes, he's too old. (both of them are) No, I don't agree with everything he's done or his policies. But the other choice is anathema.

The Padre said...

Aging , GR8 - Olga Girl Would Like A Just Because Treat , Thank You

Cheers

Ed said...

Perhaps because I'm somewhat optimistic, I try to not dwell on the hysterias presented before me. I try to take the somewhat longer view where I know that eventually, this too shall pass, whether it be a pain in my leg or Donald Trump.

Catalyst said...

Stay well, you two, and listen to the doctors. Even if they don't seem to . . oh, never mind.

Jim Davis said...

Sounds like relatively good news for both of you on the health front, pleased to hear that. I did not read your blog back in 2018 but I did read the post you linked to on "What that red ribbon means to me". I always wondered what it was like for a gay person to live during that time, your post made it clear to me. Thank you for that, it was beautifully written.

River said...

Good news about the lungs and airways. I discovered much of my dry coughing which I thought was my asthma was actually acid reflux and easily settled by crunching a couple of antacids after eating.
Hope Dave's hernias are easily fixed too.