Monday, January 15, 2024

Wandsworth and Fulham


I went for a photo walk yesterday, starting in Wandsworth and heading up into Fulham and Kensington. My original plan had been to go south from Wandsworth, but while riding the bus on the way, I passed several interesting shopfronts and buildings that I wanted to shoot -- so I changed directions and came north instead.

That's one of them, above -- a pub in Fulham now called The Redback, which is apparently a type of poisonous spider in Australia. Before that, for years, it was called The Slug. Maybe the owners felt they needed a more menacing mascot.


Here's another building not too far from the pub. Let's call it "Ghost of Dorothy." For years it was a Boots pharmacy, but it closed and the Boots sign came down, and beneath it was this shadowy remnant of an earlier identity. I have no idea what (or who) Dorothy might have been.*

*Late edit: Probably a Dorothy Perkins dress shop. See comments.


Here's another shop that's been closed for ages -- Google Street View shows it open way back in 2008, but ever since it's been vacant. I've heard of a "launderette" (or "laundrette") before, but a "cleanerette" is new to me. The posters say, "For the sake of what is left of humanity, stop bombing Gaza now."

I started this adventure in Wandsworth because I thought I might pop into an antique shop on Northcote Road that I read about online several weeks ago. Of course, I neglected to make sure they'd be open on a Sunday morning, and they weren't. Drat! Instead I wandered around that rather gentrified area and had a take-away Americano from a hipster coffee shop.

Then I walked north over the Wandsworth Bridge...


...where this was my view of the Thames. As you can see, it wasn't a very sunny morning, though we did have brief moments of sun as the day wore on.


Oh, and remember Duncan? He's left his calling card in Kensington, too.

I got home in early afternoon after a couple of long bus rides through town. I love taking the bus -- I always sit up top in the front and watch the world go by. As a rule I try not to take pictures from the bus, though. They never turn out well.

I spent the afternoon on the couch with the dog, while Dave went to Aldgate to try to help a student buy a new trombone. As it turned out, the music shop was closed on Sunday (why don't we check these things ahead of time?) so he came home empty-handed.


We ordered take-away for dinner. Olga was very fixated on Dave's lamb shawarma.

22 comments:

gz said...

She does have here eye on his plate!

Fascinating buildings...rather sad really, that people would rather put up Lego style concrete blocks..that don't really last...than care for and adapt a bit of style and history.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Great building shots and neighborhood shots. The Redback building is charming. UC Santa Cruz's mascot is a slug. Maybe not the best choice, although funny. That final shot of Olga is so funny.

FranfromHove said...

The Redback looks like The Red Lion near Fulham Broadway that I frequented about 45+ years ago. The shop front may have been Dorothy Perkins, one of a chain of dress shops. North End Road used to have a market in my youth. I was born in the area. I always enjoy your walks, particularly in my old stomping grounds. Thanks.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Co-incidentally, I walked past "The Redback" two weekends ago - with its lion perched on the parapet. I wonder if there's any truth in the rumour that over a hundred years ago a maker of these lions mistook his order and manufactured far too many,

Steve Reed said...

GZ: I agree. I hope someone restores these disused buildings.

Mitchell: Yes! The banana slugs, right?

Fran: It's entirely probable, given the statue on the roof, that the pub used to be the Red Lion. (In fact if you look at the lion close-up you can see peeling red paint!) And you're right about Dorothy Perkins! I think the sign used to look like this one:
https://www.alamy.com/dorothy-perkins-kensington-high-street-london-england-uk-circa-1980s-image270254575.html

YP: I thought of you when I was in that area and wondered how close you were when visiting Ian!

Ed said...

I love the architecture of the Redback building. You just don't see stuff like that over here, especially in the midwest.

Ms. Moon said...

Nice walk! So interesting to be able to see the ghosts of the buildings former selves. I've never heard of a "cleanerette" either.
Is it a law that at least one partner in a couple has to have a brown leather La-Z-Boy chair in which to basically live?

Ellen D. said...

It's great that you still discover fun new places even tho you have lived there quite a while now. You have a good eye, Steve, and I enjoy seeing what you find.

The Bug said...

I guess it's a function of growing up with blue laws that I always assume something will be closed on a Sunday - then I get to be pleasantly surprised if it IS open. Ha! What's funny, is that most things ARE open on Sundays & have been for years - it's just so ingrained my muscle memory to think they won't be.

ellen abbott said...

I wonder why those buildings stay vacant. I know why here, because they are falling apart and the owner won't fix them but they are perfectly fine renting them and letting the renter pay for the repairs.

Olga is watching every bite.

Marcia LaRue said...

It's interesting to see all the old buildings on your walkabouts, but I love that last shot of Olga ogling Dave's dinner and Dave giving Olga the ole side eye 👀!
In S. CO this morning: 1° going up to 4° for the day! Bitter, bitter cold!!

Sharon said...

That Redback building is wonderful. I LOVE the lion at the very top. The view from the bridge is great too. You can see all the way up to the BT Tower. And, don't you think Duncan is a little old to be painting buildings and phone boxes? I've never been to Wandsworth. The only thing I know about it is it has "dodgy end" where Natalie lives. :-)
Olga must have a taste for Indian food. She is at full attention.

Margaret said...

The history of buildings is fascinating. In my much smaller town, Mom and I often reminisce about the changes--Oh, that used to be the YMCA, do you remember shopping in that Penneys store that's now an antique store, etc. Dave better not leave his lamb dish unattended!

Bohemian said...

Olga is sooo wanting that Lamb!!! *LOL* One would think by Age 50 that the Tagger would have Outgrown his Habit? *Eye Roll*

Susan said...

Old/historic buildings are always wonderful architecture. It is sad when a building goes in to disrepair and/or stays empty. I hope you get back to the antique shop. It's chilly and Dave will likely have to share his cozy blanket with Olga. She needs her creature comforts!

Unknown said...

I was wondering if a Cleanerette could possible be a do it yourself dry cleaning machine.

Jeanie said...

That photo of Dave and Olga just cracks me up. Her position is classic! And I love it when you go on your photo walks -- we always see very interesting things!

Kelly said...

I wouldn't have known what a "redback" was, so maybe if they're going for menacing they should change it to "silverback". I would find one of those quite threatening.

That photo of Olga and Dave is PRICELESS!

Catalyst said...

That last photo is a scream!

Catalyst said...

Oh, and chiming in on athletic teams with their weird names, years ago the Scottsdale (Arizona) Community College student body named their teams the "Fighting Artichokes". I think it was meant as some sort of protest about college athletics but the name has stuck.

River said...

I love the Redback building! The others are nice too but the Redback catches the eye more.
Did Olga eventually get at least a little of the lamb?

Steve Reed said...

Ed: But some of those small-town midwestern downtowns DO have great old historic buildings.

Ms Moon: Ha! Dave literally lives in that chair. Sometimes he sleeps in it.

Ellen D: And the streets are always changing, so even when it's a place I've walked many times -- like North End Road -- I see new things each time.

Bug: When I was a kid, many places closed on Sundays. Now that's not true in the states, but it's more true here. I suppose it's a reflection of the fact that many small shops are still Mom & Pop establishments here, while in the states they've been largely corporatized.

Ellen: Could be the same reason here! I would think someone's paying taxes on it and would want to have an income stream, but maybe they don't care.

Marcia: We're cold here too, but not THAT cold!

Sharon: There's a prison in Wandsworth. That's probably the dodgy bit!

Margaret: Amazingly, I have never known Olga to steal food off a plate. She'll stare and make clear she wants it, but she waits for us to give it to her.

Bohemian: Maybe it's not him. Maybe it's one of his younger friends!

Susan: Olga spends a lot of time on Dave's lap in that chair, beneath the blanket!

Unknown: Oh, that's an interesting idea. Is there such a thing? I've never seen one but I suppose it's possible.

Jeanie: You can really see the anticipation in Olga's pose, even from behind!

Kelly: I think it's an Australian bar, so they were going for menacing AND Australian.

Catalyst: That's hilarious. What a great team name. No one will forget it!

River: I do like how colorful that Redback scene is. Yes, she always gets a nibble of our meals. We're terrible dog parents. (Or great, from the dog's perspective!)