Thursday, September 7, 2006

Botswana, August 2006


I went to Botswana to see wildlife, and I wasn't disappointed. These elephants meandered past our truck in one of the national parks. They followed a pathway to a watering hole, where they were joined by a family of warthogs.


We also saw lions snoozing in the grass beneath a tree in the Moremi nature preserve...


and we found zebra...


and giraffe...


and blue wildebeest, which certainly do look like wild beasts...


And that was just the beginning. We also saw hippos, wild dogs, jackals, buffalo, and a wide variety of antelopes including impala, kudu, tsessebe, red lechwe, sable antelope and roan antelope. And incredible, colorful birds.

One of the limitations of my camera is that, being a simple point-and-shoot, it tends to make objects seem farther away than they really are. In most of these cases, the animals were just a few meters from me. So unfortunately, I couldn't do any close-up animal shots - I have to rely on my friend Liz, with her elaborate camera and zoom lenses, for those.

No comments: