Monday, October 15, 2007

Hiatus


Yesterday I went to the Zendo for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have been so busy that I haven’t really had a chance to sit much, and of course I was in Ithaca last weekend so I missed my normal Sunday Zendo visit.

It was interesting but difficult to sit -- my mind felt very speedy and I felt a little out of practice! But one thing came to me very clearly: I think I want to stop this blog.

I don’t know whether it’s going to be permanent. It might be. But I at least want to take a two-week break and see how things go. “Shadows and Light” has been around for a year and a half, with me writing pretty much every day, and it may have lived its life.

I find myself enjoying Flickr much more these days. I like focusing on the photography and in some ways I’ve always found this blog more constraining than satisfying. With my name attached, there’s so much I feel I can’t say.

Maybe someday I’ll create a different blog under a nom de plume. Or maybe I’ll just do photos on Flickr, since photography is what motivated my online life in the first place. Or maybe after a break I’ll pick up again here with renewed energy.

My plan is to go on blog vacation until the Monday before Halloween. (The 28th, I think?) Then I will come back and tell you what’s up. Meanwhile, I’ll keep reading all of your blogs -- and if you want to see what’s been catching my eye, visit me on Flickr!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh.



Now I understand how people felt when I took my break. Yikes. My morning routine is going to now be totally disrupted!

However, it would be utterly hypocritical of me to say anything except I understand your feeling completely and I salute you!

And as Ulysses said to me, have a wonderful time with the freedom you are now giving yourself.

Anonymous said...

Take care buddy. I'll miss you.

Anonymous said...

:o(




will see you on flickr tho.
(and in person in April!!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog through quite a circuitous route that I don't really remember. In any event, I long to visit New York and so have very much appreciated reading about your connection to the city. The daily musings and photos give me a bit of insight into a life lived in NY.

I haven't had the courage to blog to my blog (if that makes sense) for the very reason you state. Putting your name up on the worldwide web sounds like a good idea but then, what do you want to make public about your life and what do you want to keep private?

Anywho, thank you for the insight into what your city is like. Hoping to see some of the graffiti for myself when I visit NY in late 2008!

Jo-Anne - Vancouver, BC Canada

Anonymous said...

your regular posts will be sorely missed (also a part of my morning routine), but i wish you well on your hiatus and will continue to check out your flickr.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. It's nice to know that people have enjoyed what I've been doing here! Jo-Anne, it was particularly nice to get your comment -- I had no idea you were out there. :)

Reya, Merle, Lettuce & Tapeworms, I'll still be checking in on y'all! (Lettuce and Tapeworms -- what a combination...)

Anonymous said...

I'm still amazed by how attached I am to blogging when I encounter this sort of thing - a person I've connected to decides to stop. I can totally relate since I have considered the same, and I may when I finally get off my arse and get another job keeps me busy or entices me enough to not have to express myself in the blogshpere so much. Anyway, I honor your decision and look forward to your photography, which is what first drew me in.

Peace.

Anonymous said...

I like your blog and will be back to visit again.

Anonymous said...

i can't imagine this is the end of you mr reed
toodle pip for now!

Anonymous said...

La, La, La, I can't hear anything you are saying...

Anonymous said...

Really, I think YOU are putting yourself under unnecessary pressure, Steve. Why post every day? And, blogging vacations are great - they keep me recharged. I just took one for a while. I also always wondered why you didn't have another blog where you could just express yourself freely - if you feel constrained YOU have the power to change that. On the other hand, if you really don't want to blog anymore, despite missing you, I would totally understand. Life is cyclical. PLEASE do keep us in the loop...

Anonymous said...

just checking.......