Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bleecker Street, Sept. 2007


At work yesterday we were editing a story about vinyl records, and the fact that some people prefer them to CDs or MP3 recordings. The writer included her own list of the top 10 recommended vinyl albums. But we were hesitant to use her list -- we wanted a more “expert” source. So we consulted Rolling Stone magazine. All this got us talking about favorite albums.

Making a list like this is so difficult - it morphs and changes depending on criteria. Are we talking about top-selling albums? Artistically significant albums? Albums we listen to the most?

I was glad to see that Rolling Stone had something like four or five Beatles albums in its top ten of all time, a list published in 2003. That’s staying power! Then again, Joni Mitchell’s “Blue” album, which I think is one of the best recordings ever made, was way down at No. 30.

So, you know, it’s all subjective.

In addition to “Blue,” and most everything by the Beatles after about 1964, my own top 10 would have to include “Bookends” by Simon & Garfunkel, though virtually any of their albums could justifiably claim a spot. I love early albums by Cat Stevens, Carly Simon, Joan Baez and Peter, Paul and Mary. More recent brilliant albums would have to include Tracy Chapman’s first, and Sinead O’Connor’s “I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got.” (Both almost 20 years old now -- yikes!)

We also got onto a discussion about the best Beatles song. But I’ll save that debate for tomorrow!


Here now, by request, for my friend Lettuce, is a picture of my Laurel Burch mug -- which I wrote about a couple of days ago. Cool, huh?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent that Lettuce asked you to display your mug. It's so pretty. "My" mug isn't nearly so interesting.

Albums - do you think the people who prefer albums are just feeling sentimental? Because digital sound is so much better.

But as long as we're talking vinyl, I think you can't beat the 78's of Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker, early Ella, the big bands and of course virtuoso opera singers from the 20's and 30's, like Caruso, to name only one. Those 78's are full of scratches, the extra sound that vinyl lovers say they love so much.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine why anyone would prefer vinyl.

If Tracy Chapman’s first, and Sinead O’Connor’s “I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got”, give you the "Yikes!", imagine how I feel. They were too hip for me when they came out.

Love the mug.

Anonymous said...

How fun! I was secretly hoping you'd post a pic of the mug - and it's lovely!

Oh, top albums - it' so hard! Though, you really took me back 20 years with the mention of Joni's "Blue", such a tender album. Of course - Dylan put out some classics.

Anonymous said...

Handsome one, EVERYTHING is subjective.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lordy. I must be the only person on the planet who can take or leave The Beatles. I do like some of their songs but overall they leave me cold. Yikes.

Now, Linda Ronstadt on vinyl heats me up.

Anonymous said...

that is cool, thanks Steve!

Anonymous said...

I met Laurel Burch a couple of years ago at a fundraiser a bunnh of of artists did. We all painted resin sculpted cats in various themes. Laurel did this fabulous jungle cat theme which brought in a fair amount of money, but the most impressive thing about her being a part of it is how ill she is and how she keeps going. She has a condition that makes her bones crumble, literally. Her jaw has been broken several times and her drawing/painting hand is so shattered that she had to train herself to do her art with her non-dominant hand. Still, she gets it done and doesn't complain. She is wuite an inspiration! I'd treasure that mug if I were you. (And don't give up on your blog if you really don't want to!)