Friday, December 28, 2007

Resolve


This week between Christmas and New Year’s is so odd. If you’re spending the week at work, as I am, it’s even a bit melancholy. The halls are empty, the phone seldom rings, the work days are slow, the salad bar at the company cafeteria is shuttered. There's been the big build-up to the holidays and now, BAM -- nothing.

Perhaps it also feels a bit melancholy to me because I have no plans for New Year’s Eve. I could crash a party somewhere, but I don’t have any desire to get toasted -- those days are mostly over for me, happily.

I haven’t even made any resolutions, which I normally like to do. People make fun of resolutions because they often fall by the wayside, but I think they’re a useful reminder of our goals and values. I try to use them as guidelines rather than strict rules, and to be gentle with myself when I backslide. I usually resolve to sit more, to be nicer to people, to slow down, to be more attentive.

Maybe this year I’ll resolve to get a boyfriend! (It's that easy, right?)

(Photo: SoHo graffiti, Dec. 2007)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Steve. I always hated being one of the unfortunate few stuck at work when most folks were off. so boring.

I'm with you on the resolution thing. My only resolution is to make the coming year better than the past year. How's that for being totally subjective and trying to control the uncontrollable?

Don't sweat the small stuff and work on that boyfriend resolution, will ya?

Happy New Year, my friend.

Anonymous said...

ha! funny graffiti. I'm looking forward to walking some NYC streets with you.

and for the boyfriend thing - go for it steve!

Anonymous said...

the nice thing about being alone at work is you can skip down the hallways shouting out gibberish.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that photo - and the graffiti. How the hell have you been? I'm back to blogging after my 5 week hiatus - and I'm well. Hope you had a grand holiday season. New Years is never a big deal for me, either. I'll go out to dinner with my partner and then we're going to the movies...and we'll likely toast at home at midnight. ;-)

Anonymous said...

i shall pray for burly men to waltz your way. Hopefully see you next year!
x