Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Pride Flags, a Portrait and Beads


I had some errands to run yesterday, and fortunately they were all the fun kind. Well, first I had to drop that student's AirPods off at school -- I suppose that wasn't too fun. But after that, I headed down to Covent Garden for some shopping!

And there, the Pride flags are flying, as you can see above.

It was antiques day at the Jubilee Market, and I wanted to find some more interesting old snapshots. So I browsed around a bit and found one guy who had this rather intriguing portrait, which I bought for two pounds:


I don't usually go for formal studio portraits, but I like the clarity and detail in this one, as well as the indeterminate ethnicity of the woman.


Here's the back, proclaiming the portrait a product of the Studio of Theodore Waltenberg of Bethnal Green Road.

Anyway, a good start for £2. And then I found a guy with a box full of old pictures and I rummaged through those. As I looked, bent at a rather painful and awkward angle over his too-low tabletop, the proprietor sat behind it and talked to me CONSTANTLY. He kept asking me questions: "What's the main difference, do you think, between Americans and British people?" "Why are there so many guns in America?" And telling me about his travels to Florida because, of course, he'd been there.

Now, I don't mind some friendly banter, but this guy was non-stop, and it was hard to concentrate while being quizzed about NRA policy. I went through all his pictures at lightning speed because I just wanted to get the heck out of there. (Actually, I've found that's a good way to evaluate pictures -- I go on my first impulse. If it doesn't interest me right away, I drop it.) I wound up spending £11 for 25 pictures including a beautiful old 8x10 print of Trafalgar Square, taken some time in the late '60s or early '70s. I'll share some of them tomorrow.

Then I moved on to the Apple Store where I bought my own pair of AirPods. Woo hoo! And they are wonderful. I walked around with them in my ears for the rest of the morning. I've fallen out of the habit of listening to music as I walk, but I really enjoyed it and I can see they will make my daily walks to and from work much more pleasant.

Finally, I went to a bead shop near Hatton Garden, London's jewelry district. I needed some stretchy beading cord, because I had a couple of bead bracelets that had broken and needed repair.


Ta-da! The skull bracelet was made by a friend of mine at the Zendo where I used to practice in New York, back in my Zen days. I bought the big brown glass beads in Singapore. And I got the small ones in Burkina Faso, where they were on a single long strand I later gave to my mom (or was it my stepmother?). Anyway, whoever it was didn't wear them and they eventually came back to me, and yesterday I made them into three separate bracelets.

I don't wear bracelets often but it's nice to have them usable if and when I want to.

I was home by lunchtime, and I spent the afternoon reading blogs and waiting for the delivery of our new microwave oven. Our microwave finally died. It's been sputtering and doing weird things for a while -- it was about 12 years old, and it got daily use. The other day it began running for a microsecond before shutting off again, and its digital display looked like the cover of the "Ghost in the Machine" album by The Police. So we knew it was time for a replacement.

And now it's raining again! There's even thunder! How exciting!

25 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

That's my kind of day... and my kind of bracelets. I love those together.

David said...

Interesting that you consider a picture of Trafalgar Square from the late 60s or early 70s as "old." That is the era I remember of Trafalgar Square, when I lived in London between 1965-68, and then at nearby St Albans from 1968 to 1974. I have been back to London a couple of times since those days, but I must admit, it is my teenage memories of Trafalgar Square that remain. Maybe, by inference, that now makes me old too! Oh the horrors! On a side note, I was a student at a college near Bracknell from 1969-1974. Recently I read in their alumni magazine about the college gymnasium, which was built in 1970 while I was a student there. The building was going to be renovated and was described in the article as, and I quote, "very old." Now that made me feel positively antique!

Andrew said...

The portrait woman seems to have Asian eyes, but nothing else about her looks Asian.
You have your wrist jewellery organised for London Pride. What else?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"What's the main difference, do you think, between Americans and British people?"
Americans chew gum and eat hamburgers but British people wear bowler hats and love Yorkshire pudding.

That photograph is intriguing isn't it? Areas like Bethnal Green have attracted waves of immigrants over the centuries. Until recently, they never arrived in crowded inflatable boats.

sparklingmerlot said...

Do you feel strange going into work during the holidays?
Looking forward to seeing your latest photographic treasures.
And your bracelets are awesome. You should wear them all the time.

Bob said...

I like the trio of wrist wear.

Colette said...

Sounds like a a great day.

Ms. Moon said...

Yes. A very good kind of day.
But what IS it with people that must chat, chat, chat?

ellen abbott said...

sounds like a good day except for the guy who peppered you with questions. I was going through some stuff and found a blue bead ankle bracelet though I can't remember if I made it or bought it. anyway, I put it on and wore it the rest of the day.

The Bug said...

Love the portrait! I'd also love to know her story...

Your beads look great. I've not been wearing my bracelets because I got tired of how they clatter on the keyboard. Very annoying.

Linda Sue said...

You got by cheaply for loads of photographic entertainment- I am a sucker for boxes of old photos as well.
Can't wait to see what you came away with!
LOVE the beads!

NewRobin13 said...

I was just going through my big box of old family photos yesterday, wondering when it would be time to send them to my sister. But now that I think of it, maybe I should send them to you. LOL!
Looking forward to seeing the new photos.

Ellen D. said...

Sounds like a fun, happy day! Hurray for summer break!

Kelly said...

I had one of those non-stop talkers in line at the post office last week, only she never paused long enough for responses. I think she might have been high on something or maybe just "challenged". (is that an appropriate way to put it?)

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos you purchased!

Karen said...

You may have mentioned this book before but I don't recall. "Loving: a photographic history of men in love, 1850s to 1950s" Found photographs basically. It is an amazing book.

Boud said...

I love the beaded bracelets and I hope you wear them a lot.
In our knitting group we have one of those incessant questioners. She picks a person and peppers them with intrusive questions. We kind of work around her!

Sharon said...

Ahhhh....you have me longing for a good thunder storm. Sounds like you had a fun morning in the city....well, except for the inquisitive shop clerk. I like the bracelets!

crafty cat corner said...

Ooo, I love those beads, especially the brown ones, I would love a necklace made from those, I'm all for funky jewellery.
As for the lady in the photograph, how on earth did they breath when the corsets pulled them in so tight?
Haven't been to Covent Garden for years, we were often there when the kids were young.
Briony
x

The Padre said...

Start Wearing Bracelets Brother Man - In Fact , More Accessories The Better

Be Well
Cheers

Red said...

Hey, my micro wave crashed too. You can roll the timer button and it doesn't give you what you want.

John Going Gently said...

I love the fact that PRIDE is normal everywhere now
Though the corporate aspect of it is a little galling

Catalyst said...

Rain and thunder on the day before Summer starts. That's fitting. But Margaret had a photo of SNOW in the Washington Cascades! That doesn't seem to fit at all.

Margaret said...

Puttering around is delightful but not being talked at constantly. I've run into some of those people myself and HOPEFULLY not been one. I am gregarious but also read others pretty well.

River said...

Nice beads. That's a LOT of flags :)

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: They seemed to go over well here. Maybe I should wear them more often!

David: Ha! Well, "old" is in the eye of the beholder, it's true! But having said that, I would use the word much more readily to describe a photo than a person.

Andrew: If I had to guess I'd say she's South Asian or Middle Eastern, but I'm really not sure. She could be Italian or French or Greek.

YP: I doubt immigrants from those inflatable boats could afford Bethnal Green nowadays!

Caro: I was only there for about a minute, so I didn't stay long enough to feel strange.

Bob: Thank you! I had no idea they'd be so popular.

Colette: It was indeed!

Ms Moon: I think some people just can't stand silence, but I prefer it!

Ellen: It's fun to make little discoveries like that among our own possessions!

Bug: Yeah, noise is a downside to the bracelets. If they're not clattering against something, they're clattering against each other!

Linda Sue: I can't get enough of old photos!

Robin: Ha! Well, I'd say I'm definitely a last resort. Photos should stay in the family if possible. :)

Ellen D: It was fabulous! I loved getting out and walking around.

Kelly: Well, that's always a possibility too. I don't think this guy was high, but a lot of people out there are!

Karen: I don't own that book but I have seen it, or read about it. I should get a copy. It DOES sound right up my alley!

Boud: I will certainly wear them more, given that so many people here seem to like them! (And now that they're fixed.)

Sharon: He wasn't just inquisitive. He was a chatterbox!

Briony: It is amazing to look at that dress. It had to be so uncomfortable. No wonder women fainted.

Padre: Ha! I think I might, given how much everyone here seems to like them.

Red: I think they're all made pretty cheaply these days.

John: I don't mind the corporate aspect, actually. I like that businesses see an upside to participating -- it provides valuable resistance to the religious right.

Catalyst: I saw that photo! SO WRONG!

Margaret: I am always happy to have a friendly chat but I was trying to concentrate on the pictures and finding it hard!

River: Yeah, they aren't skimping, are they?!