Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!


This year, for the first time I can remember, I had nothing special to do on New Year’s Eve. At first, I wasn’t too happy about that. I felt like I should be marking the occasion.

But every time I thought about calling a friend or going out somewhere, I considered what the night would inevitably become - one too many glasses of wine, and this morning, a champagne headache. I didn’t want to celebrate New Year’s that way. I did it every year in my twenties, and it was fun then, but those days are happily past for me. I couldn’t think of a friend who wouldn’t be busy and who would appreciate moderation.

(And I certainly wasn’t going anywhere near Times Square!)

So what did I do? Well, as it turns out, I had a FABULOUS New Year’s Eve. I came home and read on the couch with the cat. I did laundry. I had soup for dinner.

Then I sat for a while, listening to the hiss of the radiator and the occasional whoops from partygoers at the bars on Third Avenue. I actually felt very connected to the celebrations, just hearing them. And I felt connected to the folks in my Zen group, simultaneously finishing up their own retreat in Connecticut.

And then I went to bed.

They say you’ll spend the year doing what you do on New Year’s Eve. If that’s the case, I’m happy. What better way to treat New Year’s Eve than as an ordinary night?

(Photo: Street art, East Village, Dec. 2007)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Steve, glad you spent last night doing what you wanted. I hope you stay happy through 2008.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year friend. I was sound asleep when the new year arrived. Mrs. Sneed said that there were fireworks somewhere near here, but you couldn't prove it by me.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, so I'll spend the new year eating out, drinking and seeing movies. Not bad! Bonne Année

Anonymous said...

I was always told that whatever you did on Jan1, you did for the rest of the year, but since we are pretty much creatures of habit, it could be either I guess.

Anonymous said...

looking at that sign makes me want to repair the paint job.