Friday, January 4, 2008

Numb


Oh MAN, is it cold. It was around 10 degrees yesterday morning. When I’m walking straight into the wind, parts of my face go numb. Nature demands mindfulness!

Last night I had dinner with some friends from the High Atlas Foundation, a development organization that plants trees and runs other development projects in Morocco. Several of these folks I know from my years in the Peace Corps. (I sat across from another blogger who I hadn't met before. Small world, eh?)

We had an interesting conversation about the moral value of supporting culture (the Metropolitan Museum was the example) versus development or animal-rights causes. One friend argued that it's more worthwhile to donate to animal groups than museums. I argued that supporting the arts has a humanitarian effect, art being an international language that can bridge cultural divides. (Not that I'm against animals!)

Anyway, it was kind of an apples-and-oranges conversation, I suppose, and maybe you had to be there. But I thought it was interesting.

Then I walked over to Avenue A to try to photograph the groovy sign at Mo Pitkin’s House of Satisfaction, but it was dark. I’ve been by three times recently and the darn thing is never lit.

(Photo: Plaza near the Javits Convention Center, Nov. 2007)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting trying to figure out what's best, unless you're like me, a person who doesn't believe in "the best" ... or "the worst" for that matter.

As for donations, there's something for everyone. The arts need support, and many many many other causes as well. Lori Witzel at Chatoyance is working to send books to African children. My friend Barbara teaches pregnant teenagers how to sew. Some people work in soup kitchens or take time to visit folks in hospital. It's all good, all of it!

yes it was FRICKIN' cold yesterday. I was wrapped up like a mummy. In winter, I always have a secret longing for a beard to keep my face warm. Don't tell anyone!

Anonymous said...

Apples and oranges is exactly right. there are so many important causes and we each prioritize them in our own way.

Anonymous said...

I adore that picture! Nice work. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

that looks like Keith Moon's house! heh heh

Anonymous said...

great picture, i love the tree shape against the concrete.

and that blue sky! i LOVE really cold days when its sharp and bright and sunny.
so long as i can stay warm, of course.


and hahaha to Reya.
:o)