Saturday, November 19, 2022

Crash and Costa


Olga and I were walking on Finchley Road last weekend when we came across this demolished stoplight, evidently hit by a car. Farther down the street, a white van had run off the road and onto the sidewalk, and was jammed nose-first between a tree and a garden wall. The police were there and we didn't look too closely. We often hear drag racers (I think) zooming up and down Finchley in the middle of the night, so maybe one of them lost control -- though it seems a little weird to be racing in a van.

Yesterday was busy but not in any interesting way. I was mired in making a list of books with multiple copies for our 7th graders, who read books in pairs or trios as part of a class assignment. It's always a challenge to come up with books for them all because we seldom have two or three copies.


The other day I was watching a montage of scenes from "Absolutely Fabulous" on YouTube -- longtime readers may remember I love that show -- and I took this rather surreal screen shot of Jennifer Saunders struggling on a Stairmaster at the gym. I took it because look behind her, on the horizon -- it's the Battersea Power Station! Funny to see this view from almost 30 years ago after just visiting there myself.

As long as we're sharing old videos -- I saw in the news a few days ago that Brazilian singer Gal Costa died. When I was in high school and college I had a couple of Brazilian pen pals, and in addition to sharing frequent letters, we sent each other cassette tapes of music recorded from the radio. I seem to remember they'd already heard many of the songs I sent them from American radio, but their Brazilian music was always new to me, and one of the songs they sent me was Gal Costa singing "Chuva de Prata," or "Silver Rain." Click the link and you'll get a very '80s video (the dangly earrings! the lip gloss! the wind machine!) for that song, which I still like.

20 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I love Tropicália and Gal Costa was its queen.

I still Absolutely Fabulous. But, oh my god, has it been 30 years?!?

Glad you and Olga weren’t around when that accident occured.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

GAL COSTA? Maybe it should be GALE COSTA as there seemed to be a wind blowing through the studio. Perhaps somebody had left a door open. Was she a fan of chess I wonder? Seriously though - a refreshing listen even though I have no idea what she was singing about.

Colette said...

It was fun to see that video. So very different from what was going on in the States at that time.

ellen abbott said...

The housing behind the broken stop light seems uninhabited. All those balconies with doors leading out to them and no furniture or even a single plant.

I've never heard of Absolutely Fabulous.

Janie Junebug said...

I've never seen Absolutely Fabulous but I think it's available on one of my streaming services. I need to watch it!

Love,
Janie

Ed said...

I've seen "Almost Famous" but not "Absolutely Famous".

I wonder if there is a modern equivalent of sending someone a mixed tape. Swapping playlists? Quite possibly but I don't have any idea how to give someone my playlist.

NewRobin13 said...

I've never seen Absolutely Famous. I may have to take a look. I'm always looking for something new and interesting to divert my attention from the world.
That was quite a crash. Yikes.

Ms. Moon said...

I knew a lot of Ab Fab fans! The ladies were...fabulous indeed!
That video was definitely a time travel event.

Kelly said...

She has/had a beautiful voice. It's always fun to see music videos from the early days, before they were like mini-film productions.

Boud said...

I think the, AbFab comics were in Clatterford? Hysterically funny series I caught on DVD. Wonderful double entendres all over. They might have written Clatterford come to think of it. It's very Brit humor.

Jeanie said...

I haven't seen Ab Fab in ages and you remind me it might be time for a revisit. That looks like a mess of an accident. Seems like drag racing isn't world's best idea there!

Sharon said...

That video was fun to watch. So very 80's right down to the white shoes on the guy in the background.
My friend David is a huge Ab Fab fan. I think I've watched every episode with him when we were working in Chicago back in the 90's. Spotting Battersea in the background reminded me that a few nights ago I watched an old episode of Hercule Poirot. It was an episode called "Cards on the Table" and one scene takes place in the entrance to a rather ornate house with Middle Eastern influences. I recognized it as the Leighton House that I visited on my last trip to London. The next day I looked up filming locations and sure enough, it was there. It's fun to recognize things that are so very far away.

Margaret said...

I've never heard of that show, but if it's from the '80s, I rarely watched TV or films during that decade. It was rare I could even read a book. Kids and a job. I missed out on a lot.

Linda Sue said...

Great music, sliding my way smoothly across the kitchen- darling sweetie!

Bob said...

I cannot imagine drag racing in a van but then I cannot imagine drag racing.

James and Brigitta said...

AbFab .. one of my favorites too! What first comes to mind is that episode they end up holidaying in France, but instead of going to a plush Château, they end up in a filthy cottage, all thanks to Patsy's map reading. From that episode: Patsy:"You can't go to France and not drink.Eddie: Huh? Patsy: The chateau we're staying at is in the middle of a vineyard. The area alone is fifteen percent proof".

Ellen D. said...

I haven't heard of either so I'm speechless today! Just wanted to say hello, Steve!

John Going Gently said...

Ad fab
A wonderful and mustmissed show

Variable in quality , I loved the first couple of years

River said...

That was very nice, thank you.

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: It HAS been 30 years. It began in 1992!

YP: "Gale Costa" -- LOL!

Colette: Oh, I don't know. It seems similar to a lot of things I used to see on MTV. Strong graphics and too much makeup!

Ellen: I think people are living there, surprisingly!

Janie: The first three seasons are excellent, though I find it takes a few episodes to warm to the characters.

Ed: Yeah, you'd do it all online now, I'm sure!

Robin: It's actually "Fabulous," not "Famous." (Ed threw us off there!) The humor is quite ribald but I love it.

Ms Moon: They have become gay icons, particularly Patsy.

Kelly: Exactly -- back when they had minimal budgets!

Boud: Yes, French and Saunders (the comedy team behind "Ab Fab") did "Clatterford" too. I've never watched it, actually. Maybe I should!

Jeanie: It's probably not the best idea anywhere!

Sharon: Oh yes, the Leighton House museum in Holland Park! It's beautiful.

Margaret: It first ran over three years in the early to mid-'90s. There have been revivals a few times since then.

Linda Sue: I love that song!

Bob: I can't either. Although I imagine they race in whatever they can steal.

James and Brigitta: HA! Yes, I love that episode. I love how they're both scared to talk to the old guy who comes to their door to tell them they're staying in the wrong place!

Ellen D: Hello! Thank you for speaking no matter what. :)

John: Yeah, it never quite achieved its previous heights after those first three seasons.

River: The Ab Fab montage, or Gal Costa? Well, in either case, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)