Monday, November 14, 2022

Lots Road to Westminster


Yesterday morning was misty and gray, much like my poor, mildly hung-over brain. But I wanted to get a walk in this weekend, so despite feeling like a squashed toad I hopped on the bus and went down to Chelsea to resume my walk along the Thames Path.

I started at Lots Road, where you may remember I left off way back in early October. The good thing about walking the Thames Path through the city is you don't even really need a map. The path runs pretty consistently along the shore and when it doesn't, it's easy to figure out where you need to be.

That's the Battersea Bridge, above, behind a line of houseboats that have been stranded by the river's low water levels. (Seems like that would be hard on the structure of the boats!)


There are some fine old houses and apartment blocks along the Chelsea Embankment and Cheyne Walk, with windows overlooking the river.


After passing the Albert Bridge I could see across the river to Battersea Park and the Peace Pagoda, hazy in the morning mist.


I passed Sir Christoper Wren's Royal Hospital Chelsea, a retirement home for the veterans known as the "Chelsea Pensioners." This is where the annual Chelsea Flower Show is held, on the grassy lawn in the foreground.

I diverted over the Chelsea Bridge to the south bank of the Thames in order to visit the refurbished and newly reopened Battersea Power Station, now a complex of housing, shopping and restaurants. I have quite a few pictures from there, so I'll share them in a separate post tomorrow.


Then I continued along the river's north bank, past Pimlico Gardens (above) and the small paved triangle of land where I packed in with a zillion other people to watch the Queen's Jubilee Flotilla way back in 2012. That seems so long ago!

I stopped for lunch at a little cafe overlooking the river, and had scrambled eggs on toast with a view of the Vauxhall Bridge and the headquarters for MI6, the British foreign intelligence service. (James Bond's office would be there -- or Miss Moneypenny's, anyway.)

I ate my very un-Bondian lunch and continued along Millbank past the Tate Britain and into Victoria Gardens, near the Palace of Westminster.


The bells at Westminster Abbey were pealing, and I took a little video so you could hear them. You'll see the Victoria Tower of Westminster Palace and Rodin's sculpture of the Burghers of Calais, followed by a little stroll along a path (sorry about the close-ups of the shrubbery) to look across the street toward the Abbey.

I had planned to catch the tube at Westminster, which proved to be a bit of a kerfuffle because the Remembrance Sunday ceremonies had just taken place along Whitehall and there were crowds and barricades all over the place. But I eventually made it to the train and came home, and by this time, having gotten out and about, I felt much better. A long walk is a hangover cure!

25 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Another walk I’d love to do. SO rude of people to talk while you were recording. Don’t you hate that? I always want to say Hush. I’m crazy for those upper windows in the first home photo.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Thanks for taking us with you on this section of the Thames Path walk. Fascinating! Also well done for refusing to let the hangover win out.

Sabine said...

This is really lovely, the gorgeous sections of London.

gz said...

A good walk.
Low water can't be too good for residents of the house boats either!
Was that low tide or just lack of rainfall, or both?

Andrew said...

A great walk with interesting sights, and nice to hear the bells.

The Padre said...

Stepping Into The Future Definitely Changes One Perspective - Travel On Brother Man

Cheers

Sharon said...

I loved hearing the bells! You passed by some of my favorite views like the MI6 building and my favorite art museum in London, the Tate Britain. I look forward to seeing the Battersea Station. Back in 2013 when I visited and stayed down south in Balham, the overground train into the city passed the old Battersea Power Station. It looked like such a huge hulk back then.

Ms. Moon said...

I will probably never get over seeing your pictures and thinking, "That is where Steve LIVES!"
So cool.

Marcia LaRue said...

I thank you for showing me places I would never be able to see for myself!
The Bloggers I read are also my travelogurers!

Pixie said...

Another lovely walk with equally lovely photos. I especially like the photo of Pimlico gardens.

NewRobin13 said...

What a wonderful long walk that was. I loved hearing those bells ringing ringing.

Debby said...

Thank you for your video. I love those glimpses of your world. They are why I read blogs.

Red said...

You walked through a lot of history.

Ed said...

Sitting firmly on the ground isn't hard on boats, especially houseboats with large pontoons or flotation devices lashed underneath. What is hard on them is that fine line where they may touch the bottom and then float again for a period of time as water levels transition from floating to firmly on the ground. Those impacts can certainly do damage, especially if there are boats leaving wakes during those times.

ellen abbott said...

Houseboats stranded on the ground. Does this happen often, like low tide or is it unusual?

It looks to me like the swans on the doors of that house (surely that's not a single residence) are carved/etched glass. Nice job.

Kelly said...

I have a friend who does change ringing and I love to hear it, so thanks for the clip with the bells. I thought Rodin's sculpture of the Burghers of Calais was in a garden in Paris. Now I need to do some research!

James and Brigitta said...

Funny how a little video makes things so much more real. Loved hearing those bells. Like Ms.Moon said .. wow, you LIVE there!

Boud said...

Great walk, and those upper windows in the posh building are perfect for a suspense novel where the hero escapes out of the window and slips across to the next apartment to climb in..yes, too many mystery novels.

You're an amazing long walker. I know you're taking your time, stopping for lunch, riding home, but even so, you do rack up the mileage.

The Bug said...

That was a lovely fall walk - thanks for taking us along!

Allison said...

Poor houseboats. My first thought was do they have holding tanks or have they been discharging waste into the water when they were floating? If they have tanks how will they get them emptied? If no tanks then what are they doing? Living in an RV for many years puts waste management directly into one's consciousness.

Janie Junebug said...

You've given me images for some events I've heard of, such as the Chelsea Flower Show. It's nice to hear the bells of the abbey and see regular people moving along in the area. Glad you felt better after a walk. I love the upper windows of that house.

Love,
Janie

Ellen D. said...

Wow! It's like you live in an historical museum village! I can't believe what you get to see on your walks. Do you ever pinch yourself and feel amazed that you actually live there?!

River said...

The houseboats look so sad all stranded like that.
I listened to the bells, but to me it was just jangling, barely musical.
Is Westminster Abbey where Queen Elizabeth now is, or am I confused?

Steve Reed said...

Mitchell: Yeah! I DO hate that! I guess it lends to the verisimilitude of the video, though.

YP: Sometimes you gotta fight back. :)

Sabine: Glad you enjoyed it!

GZ: I honestly don't know. Every time I've walked along the river this year the water has been consistently low, but we ARE getting more downstream in the Thames where tidal influences will be greater.

Andrew: Glad you liked the scenery, both video and audio!

Padre: It always helps to get out and about!

Sharon: I almost popped in to the Tate Britain for a quick visit but decided I couldn't do that AND the power station.

Ms Moon: Believe me, I feel that way all the time. That's why it's always such a boost to get out of the house and see the city.

Marcia: That's part of the beauty of blogging -- armchair traveling!

Pixie: It's a nice green space, and when I was there I had it almost entirely to myself.

Robin: Glad you liked the bells!

Debby: Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Red: There's history everywhere in London. You couldn't avoid it if you tried!

Ed: Well, that's what I wondered -- I assume they fall and rise with the tides so at least some of the time they must be on the water.

Ellen: It has not seemed unusual this year. Many of the boats I've seen have been grounded. I'm not sure what those swans are made of. I thought it was metal or wood over a more conventional door.

Kelly: I think there's more than one Burghers!

James and Brigitta: It is amazing to hear the bells of Westminster Abbey while out for a morning stroll!

Boud: Ha! I love that my photo inspired you to start writing a story. :)

Bug: Glad you enjoyed it!

Allison: Oh, I didn't even think of that! Funny how your RV perspective makes that foremost in your mind. :)

Janie: Taking videos has been a fun experiment for me. It's cool to give readers an experience that offers sight, sound and movement.

Ellen D: I do feel lucky every time I get out and explore. I need to do it more often!

River: I believe she's in the chapel at Windsor Castle.

Jeanie said...

Chelsea is an area I've never explored though I remember when Vivian wrote about the Chelsea Physic Garden in her Gardens of Awe and Folly book and am interested in seeing that someday. And the sites of Chelsea Detective, which I enjoy! Looks like a great walk. I loved hearing the bells.