Monday, August 23, 2021

Bats and Tigers


First of all, kudos to Linda and Ellen for figuring out my mystery plant yesterday! It's called a bat-faced cuphea, and I'd never seen or heard of it before. Now I'm intrigued -- I may have to try growing some! A project for next year, I suppose.

Above you can see a big hornet-mimic hoverfly on our buddleia, as well as a bee buzzing in for some nectar.
 

And here's an annual garden visitor who recently turned up for the first time this year -- a Jersey Tiger moth. (It's the first one I've seen this year, anyway.) I had enough time for exactly one picture before it flew off, so I'm glad I got a pretty good shot.


Finally, our sunflower has opened. It's still a bit folded in on itself in this photo, but it will spread out more.

Otherwise, yesterday was unremarkable. I repotted the new dahlia, and did lots of reading. There's an amazing article in The Atlantic about a family coping after losing a son on 9/11 -- one of the best things I've read recently. Follow the link to check it out. (And thanks to my friend Kevin for pointing it out to me.)

We took Olga to the cemetery -- Dave came too, which is a rarity. We once again heard the turaco but did not see it.

22 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

I know that’s a hornet-mimic hoverfly and not an actual hornet, but I can’t look at it — even though it’s a great photo. So I spent more time on the other two photos. Must have been nice to have Dave along for the walk. I imagine Olga enjoys having both of you together.

Anonymous said...

I've saved the link to the Atlantic article. It sounds interesting.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Such a thorough set of reflections on the life and death of Bobby McIlvaine and I guess that similar articles could be written about each of the victims. Thanks for linking.

The Padre said...

Olga Girl AND Mr Dave - What A Banner Day

Cheers

Ms. Moon said...

Your nature photos just get better and better, Steve.

Bob said...

That Tiger Moth looks like a guitar pick!

ellen abbott said...

insects are so hard to photograph! they just won't cooperate.

The Bug said...

For once I've read one of the articles you mention! Connie Schultz posted it sometime last week. It is so poignant & well done.

I love sunflowers. There are some places that grow them around here, but I would like some around OUR house. I say that about all the flowers don't I? :)

Sharon said...

What a strange name for that plant. I never heard of one before. Great insect photos today. That moth looks a lot like the ones that have recently shown up around here. I think the rains have brought them out. Gorgeous sunflower!

Edna B said...

I've never heard of that plant, but I do hope you are able to grow some. Your sunflower is beautiful. I tried growing one once. No luck. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Kelly said...

I'm so glad your sunflower has opened! They are so cheerful and beautiful.

Was Olga was pleased to have the whole family together for the cemetery visit?

Ellen D. said...

Great photos! That tiger moth - wow!
Touching story, so sad but interesting how different people deal with grief.

Sabine said...

I may have written that before but it always feels as if sunflowers are actually smiling.

Linda Sue said...

Thank you so much for the article! Wow what a good ride that was. Life lives on. One vowel can alter things.

Red said...

This time year there is lots of garden activity both insects and blooms.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos. Love that sunflower and that moth. Thank you for the link to the article. I'm going to go read it.

The bike shed said...

I have been away for a few weeks... how nice to return to a Jersey Tiger moth. One of my favourite moths but we get few of them here in West Wales.

e said...

Loved the photos and yes, that article was a compelling piece. Best to you and Dave and I hope you both have a healthy school year.

Steve Reed said...

I think she always feels better when we're both around. Dogs like the pack to be intact!

Steve Reed said...

The minute they mentioned the phrase "Life Loves On," I thought: "That's going to turn out to be a typo." Editor's instinct!

Steve Reed said...

Apparently they weren't very widespread in the UK 20 years ago -- they're fairly recent arrivals, as I understand it, perhaps with the warming climate?

Steve Reed said...

Thanks for your comments, everybody. I'm glad you liked the photos and that the article was thought-provoking!