Monday, August 16, 2021

More Late-Summer Flowers


Even though we're well into August, new types of flowers are still emerging in the garden! 

Above, our passionflower produced its first blossom of the season, and there are some more buds coming along. This vine hasn't been looking so great -- perhaps because I've allowed a lot of other stuff, like poppies and borage, to grow in its pot. It might be time to give it some fresh compost.


Our red-hot pokers finally sent up flowers. This one's the farthest along.


The phlox are blooming. Don't you love how the flowers open in that perfect little spiral?


OK, the teasels aren't new, but I couldn't resist one more picture. Those tall teasels that I battled to keep upright have been standing just fine, but now they're starting to die back. The leaves are yellowing and many of the flowers are spent. We'll probably cut them down soon -- but I want Dave to see them first.


We have zinnias! Woo hoo! It took long enough, but finally a few flowers have appeared. I only have a handful because I planted them in pots -- and I still have plenty of seeds for next year.


Another look at the "night sky" petunias. The squirrels really did a number on them. They're in a hanging basket on the walnut tree, and the squirrels would run up into the tree to collect nuts and then sit in the middle of this plant to eat them. Consequently a bunch of the stalks were broken and the top is flattened into a perfect little squirrel couch. The flowers are still plugging away, though.


We finally got a single nasturtium. Many of our nasturtiums haven't really prospered for some reason -- at least, not yet.

I tried to take Olga to the Heath yesterday. We were going to try a new approach, hopping on the Overground train and getting off at the Hampstead Heath station, and then walking the short distance onto the Heath. My thought was that it would save my elderly dog the walk to and from (although by the time we walk to the station and then up onto the Heath, I'm not sure we'd be saving that much effort). Anyway, wouldn't you know it -- we walked to the station to find the Overground closed. So we turned around and although Olga had initially seemed excited for a walk, she took me back home again.


I guess Sunday is a day of rest, right?

And big excitement -- Dave finally comes home today! Woo hoo! In fact he should be in the air right now. I know he's ready to get back to real life.

40 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

So glad Dave will be home soon! Your flowers and photos are beautiful. Wow!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Please may we have some more blogposts about plants and flowers in your garden? The passion flower bloom has an amazing "design". It's saying very clearly to the insect world: "Come to mama!"

Steve Reed said...

Hey, what can I say. Plants and flowers are what's happening in my life now!

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad too!

Mary said...

Love how you captured the spiral of the phlox as it was opening. Great photos.
Maybe Olga knew Dave was coming home and wanted to rest up in anticipation. Or maybe she is like some of us and has the blahs.

Welcome home, Dave.

Bob said...

That passionflower is gorgeous, and Olga seems to be resting up for when Other Daddy gets home!

Ms. Moon said...

Aren't passionflowers just incredibly other-worldly?
Hurray for Dave coming home! Your sweet family will all be together again.

The Bug said...

I love all your flower photos! That passionflower is just fabulous. And I love that photo of Olga - that's how I felt all day yesterday. I took the day off from doing any meaningful work & it was wonderful.

Welcome back to Dave!

Vivian Swift said...

I am envious of your night sky petunia. I'still on the waiting list of two nurseries here on the north shore of Log Island, where nary a night sky petunia can be found. I guess I could try growing them from seed but I'm not a "process" person so watering and eating is not my thing. I only like end results. I want them damn flowers.

Anonymous said...

That passionflower is so beautiful. Always love seeing the flowers there. I'm wondering why your nasturtiums aren't blooming. They've gone fence-climbing crazy here. Olga looks very comfy.
Welcome home to Dave!!!

Ellen D. said...

Your flower photos are so lovely. I love how you captured that small unfurling phlox! I never noticed that before on phlox. And the passionflower is certainly a work of art - nature is amazing!
Glad Dave is back!

Sharon said...

Such a beautiful series of photos today. Passion flowers are so interesting. They have so many aspects to them. I love the night sky petunia too. Olga looks very content sleeping in the garden.

Red said...

The garden is putting on one more big show before fall arrives.

Kelly said...

I am fascinated by Passionflowers and yours is gorgeous. I'm also quite impressed with the petunia!

Sweet Olga. She needed her weekend beauty rest. I know you'll be thrilled to have Dave home!

Edna B said...

Your flowers are really beautiful. I've never seen night sky petunias. Gorgeous! I haven't seen any nasturtiums for a while, and I love them. That's a super photo of Olga resting by the flowers. She looks so peaceful. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Marcia LaRue said...

I must congratulate you on your Green Thumb and your photography skills ... the flowers ... all of them ... are stunning! The 1st picture ... the Passion Flower ... breathtaking!!
Welcome back to Dave and hope he really had a good visit here in the States!!

The Padre said...

Stoked Dave Is Returning - Now For All Those Reminder Phone Calls From The Health Dept - Too Funny And What A Great Shot Of Olga Girls - So Cute - Amazing Depth Of Field With The Flower Photos - Very Impressive - Be Well Brother Reed

Cheers

jenny_o said...

Darn, I was really hoping for a photo of the squirrel couch :)

Amazing blooms. I was wondering when Dave would be getting back when you said you were saving the teasels for his return.

Ah, Olga. What a well-earned rest, even if the walk was shorter than in your younger days.

Janie Junebug said...

I'm sure you and Olga have missed Dave. We'll all be happy when he arrives safely.

Love,
Janie

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for the homecoming. It's been a while.

Catalyst said...

Welcome home, Dave. May I say you're just in time.

Steve Reed said...

I don't think Olga is that forward-thinking, LOL! She lives in the moment. :)

Steve Reed said...

She's on his lap right now, sound asleep!

Steve Reed said...

It's nice to be back to normal!

Steve Reed said...

We all need days like that from time to time!

Steve Reed said...

I never realized they were so in demand! That's so strange. I'm with you on growing them from seed -- that sounds like a lengthy process.

Steve Reed said...

I don't know what happened with our nasturtiums this year. Maybe they're set back by our cool, damp summer.

Steve Reed said...

I never noticed the spiral either until I looked closely at that bud. I agree -- nature IS amazing. I learn new things about our plants and our garden every day.

Steve Reed said...

We now have TWO passionflower vines, because the parent vine re-seeded into a neighboring pot. Maybe the second one will produce flowers too. (It looks healthier than the parent!)

Steve Reed said...

That's exactly it! This is pretty much the final group of flowers.

Steve Reed said...

I am thrilled. It's so nice to be back to life as usual.

Steve Reed said...

Nasturtiums are usually so easy -- I love them too! And yes, I'm a big fan of that variety of petunia.

Steve Reed said...

So glad you liked the photos! Dave had a good time and it all went off without a hitch, but I know he's happy to be home.

Steve Reed said...

Actually, Dave doesn't have to quarantine because they've changed the rules since I returned to England -- so no phone calls for him! Lucky! Glad you liked the pics.

Steve Reed said...

Just picture a beaten-down hanging plant with an utterly flat crown. That's the squirrel couch. Not very picturesque!

Steve Reed said...

Yes, it's a huge relief to have him home and still healthy.

Steve Reed said...

It HAS been a while! Three weeks!

Steve Reed said...

He's glad to be back!

Colette said...

Great pictures. We had red hot poker plant when we lived in The Finger Lakes region of NYS. I always loved them.

ellen abbott said...

seems I missed this one. love the flowers. most of that are spring or early summer bloomers down here.