Thursday, August 26, 2021

Sunflower II


By request, here's another picture of our sunflower. I didn't have my glasses on when I was out in the garden yesterday afternoon and saw this green bug on the blossom -- so I couldn't really tell what it was but I photographed it anyway. (Thank goodness for auto-focus!) When I downloaded the pictures I realized it's just an aphid. I think so -- I still can't really tell.

In the latest chapter of our book-quarantine saga, we've decided not to quarantine. If this all sounds like a crazy see-saw, that's because it is. Such is life in the time of Covid, I guess. I think it's the right decision. All indications are that the virus isn't spread that way.

Also, last year, I had these huge plexiglass screens around my desk -- I felt like a bank teller. They were precariously placed (fell more than once) and hard to keep clean. This year I asked my boss if I really needed to keep them, and she was noncommittal, so I checked with our facilities manager, and he said government regulations no longer require them. I've also read that plastic screens might actually cause more harm than good by reducing air flow. So I took them down. What a relief! It's so nice to have my old desk back! I'm still pretty much socially distanced from the kids because the desktop is so wide.

I spent yesterday labeling shelves and moving furniture. I think we've got the space pretty much the way we want it. I've got a lot more shelf labeling to do today, plus more training. Woo hoo! (That was a sarcastic "woo hoo," just to be clear.)

32 comments:

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I thought the "Woo hoo!" was a dyslexic owl.

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh, I caught the sarcasm in the woo hoo. And that sure looks to be an aphid to me. Great photo and sunflower.

Anonymous said...

I meant to confess yesterday that I assumed your boss was a man. I really should know better than to make such assumptions. I wonder if in supermarkets and the like, will screens be permanent.

ellen abbott said...

great shot of the sunflower.

The Bug said...

I told Mike that you'd inspired me to plant sunflowers next year, but he's skeptical because I rarely follow through. But this time I'm doing it. I swear!

I'm glad you're not quarantining books - it doesn't make sense too since the virus isn't spread that way. HOWEVER, I wonder if flu can be spread that way? Hmmm....

Ms. Moon said...

We are still very much learning our way through this thing, aren't we?
Lovely photo. Sunflowers are such glories.

Mary said...

Anytime someone talks about 'work' training, I automatically think a sarcastic woo hoo.

Glad you have a bit more free air space around your desk. Imagine that plexiglass made it feel more than a little claustrophobic...even if you could (mostly) see through it.

Bob said...

Sunflowers make me smile, even with a wee bug.

I fear, as I watch certain states, that the US is heading back in time to last year and that's not a good spot.

Anonymous said...

I love seeing sunflowers. I need to remember to plant some seeds here in the spring. Would you remind me, Steve!
I think as long as you are masked up at work you should be fine. I'm glad the glass is gone.

Red said...

I haven't heard much lately about how the virus is spread.

Sharon said...

It seems like everything about this pandemic is a constant see-saw. Two weeks ago we heard that people might need a booster shot after six months. Then we heard no we shouldn't do that and now we are hearing that yes we should. My six months come up in October. I guess I'll wait and see what the word is then.

Ellen D. said...

Terrific picture of the sunflower. Glad you are getting all set up for a new school year. Hope you have a happy (and healthy) school year!

Edna B said...

Your sunflower is beautiful. I'll bet it feels good to be back at work. I wouldn't want that plastic shield up around me either. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

Kelly said...

Thank you for the sunflower encore. It totally made my day!!!

Jennifer said...

Sunflowers are just pure cheerfulness. Who doesn't love a sunflower?

I sure hope your year gets off to a good and safe start, Steve.

Catalyst said...

A sarcastic woo-hoo as opposed to an enthusiastic woo-hoo, I gather. That sunflower is stunning. And the green aphid (I think that's what it is, too) counterbalances it nicely.

Steve Reed said...

Hmmmm...that might be "ooh ooh"!

Steve Reed said...

Thanks. It's not often an aphid turns out to be photogenic!

Steve Reed said...

Especially in the world of libraries and education. My immediate boss is a woman and the head of school is a woman.

Steve Reed said...

Thanks!

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, I don't know how efficient books would be as a disease vector. I've never seen any studies on it!

Steve Reed said...

We really are, especially in the absence of specific government advice.

Steve Reed said...

Ha! I guess no one looks forward to work training, do they? I definitely feel better having those screens gone.

Steve Reed said...

We're having outbreaks here in the UK too -- associated with large gatherings of young people. I shudder to think what the school year might bring.

Steve Reed said...

I wish I'd planted ours earlier, actually. We have two sunflowers that are not yet blooming and I hope they get to the flowering stage before cold weather comes.

Steve Reed said...

I think there just haven't been many revelations lately on that front. It's almost entirely airborne, from my understanding.

Steve Reed said...

Yeah, I heard eight months originally. The timing keeps changing!

Steve Reed said...

Thanks, Ellen!

Steve Reed said...

It DOES feel good to have a routine again.

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad! :)

Steve Reed said...

Thanks, J!

Steve Reed said...

I'm enthusiastic in my sarcasm.