Saturday, December 16, 2023

Hamster Wheel


At last! After the craziest week of my recent working life, I have some time to myself. Let me try to explain why things have been so nuts.

This past week was exams week in our high school, which means a different daily schedule. The kids have only two longer class periods per day, and otherwise they have free time to study, meet with teachers, finish projects or whatever. Well, of course, a lot of them wind up in the library, so I was surrounded by about a hundred chattering students (because even if they were studying they were not silent) for hours each day. Even during the class times, there are always some students who have that particular block as a study period.

The 9th and 10th grade English classes all came down to get books for the break, which for some involved a presentation from the head librarian. Plus, the Grade 6 classes were all coming in waves to get books. Plus random kids from all other grades when it was convenient for them. The shelves were in a constant state of chaos.

I don't mean to complain about this. We are a library, after all, and I want the kids to check stuff out. But I literally never had a quiet moment. Last night I actually had a Library Stress Dream, in which I was trying to find books for different people all at once PLUS I had a meeting to attend PLUS I was in a weird library which wasn't really our library and I was having to greet co-workers and wish them happy holidays while trying to get things done etc etc etc.

Anyway, now I am on Winter Break until Jan. 8 and I am so ready for it. I can't wait to have some quiet days to read and walk and explore and just live in my head.


The courier never has come to collect those books I packaged up to sell on the library's behalf. Every day I get an e-mail saying they're coming to school that afternoon to pick them up, and then every day they don't show. The boxes are still sitting there. Perhaps they'll be collected during the break, or perhaps not. I don't care anymore. It was always an experiment with a low payoff, so if it completely falls through the only thing wasted is one day of my time and effort. I can live with that.

I have two presents for Dave for Christmas, and I should ideally get a few more. Some of you suggested giving each other the television set and calling it a day. I kind of like that idea and I may well fall back on it!

I am looking forward to finishing my current book, "The Deep End of the Ocean" by Jacquelyn Mitchard, which was a best-seller in the '90s and one of Oprah's first picks for her famous book club. I have always intended to read it and it's a page-turner so far, but I've been so busy I've only been able to snatch brief moments with it. I also have a huge stack of New Yorkers to catch up on.

Last night I read this profile of author Joyce Carol Oates, a brilliant, eccentric figure who sounds like she may well be dancing on the edge of insanity. I've never been a fan of her as a writer. I've tried to read a couple of her books and they just don't do it for me. I don't think I've ever finished one. Truman Capote had famously harsh words for Oates: “I’ve seen her, and to see her is to loathe her. To read her is to absolutely vomit.”

I don't feel that strongly, and I often think I should give her another try. (It's been probably 30 years and maybe as a more mature adult I'd respond better to her work.) Then again, there's a lot to read out there.

(Photos: Reflected light on a tree near the Tate Modern, a few weeks ago.)

27 comments:

River said...

The Deep End of the Ocean: is that the story where a young child is kidnapped at a convention and found several years later living quite close by? I have the movie and love it, but my book was borrowed and never returned. She accidentally returned it to a library instead.

Andrew said...

I like the reflected light. The work chaos you are enduring, not so much.

Andrew said...

That should be 'were enduring'.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I'm with you on Joyce Carol Oates, although I've always been afraid to admit it. We stopped exchanging Christmas gifts years ago. We bought ourselves and each other whatever we wanted year-round, so it became difficult. Then we would buy one big thing for the two of us (like a new TV), but we ran out of those purchases, too. So now, a hug and a kiss does it. I love the sunlight shining through the tree.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

More possible material to draw upon for my novel, "The Ogre of The Library". By the way I have made a start... "Once upon a time there was an ogre who worked in a library..." Then I kind of got stuck.

Linda Sue said...

I read Deep end- and did not like it at all, mostly because at the time my youngest son was little and I could not bear the thought of losing him for even a moment. It’s a mom thing. Not at all the best read.
The green sunlight is amazing, what a great shot!

Sharon said...

It must have felt like relief leaving work on Friday. Sadly, I have one more week to go.
I love that photo of the tree with the little slice of light on it.

The Bug said...

Oh that work nightmare is definitely a sign that you need a break! Hope Dave gives you plenty of alone time. And I agree about the television - that's exactly what we did this year (it was Mike birthday, our anniversary, AND our Christmas present to each other - ha!).

I've heard of Joyce Carol Oates, but I have no idea if I've read any of her books. Now I don't think I'll search them out.

Jean Winnipeg said...

I like the reflected light photo too, and all the different brickwork behind the tree, a great photo. I enjoy hearing what you are reading. My book group chose Isabel Allende, In The Midst of Winter. The title drew laughter because Winnipeg in winter is a whole different world with snow and mind blowing below zero temperatures. However, for some reason (we are not complaining here) perhaps because of global warming we are cruising through December with mild for us temperatures. Enjoy your Christmas break. I wrote about my school where I was not allowed to check a book out - it was in the 50’s and a very small library, and perhaps used mainly as a resource for teachers. Looking back totally bizarre. I only remember being allowed in it twice, Jean in Winnipeg.

Bob said...

A Library Stress Dream sounds terrifying! Of course, any work stress dream scares the bejesus out of me.

Carlos and I are giving one another ... wait for it, so romantic ... a new kitchen and rain gutters for Christmas.

I am very excited about the gutters!

Ellen D. said...

One good thing about a busy library is that your days fly by!
Hope you enjoy your break and have lots of time to relax and read!

Ms. Moon said...

Welcome to my dream world! Just a few hours ago I was dreaming that I'd killed my stepfather (this happens frequently in my dreams), and then that it was the first day of summer for the kids and there were literally dozens of kids at my house, all playing and eating and making huge messes and I had SO much to do and couldn't get a thing done and THEN, my husband came home from somewhere with Barack and Michelle Obama (we were obviously good friends with them) and that part was excellent but the children were still all there.
I am exhausted.
Joyce Carol Oates. I've tried. No.
Now enjoy your break.

Red said...

I always find your library comments interesting as the same things happened at schools here.

Debby said...

I read We are the Mulvaneys, intrigued in part that the story is set in places that I personally know. It was a hard story about the inability of a family to listen to and address their pain. It was about maintaining that facade of a perfect life and the damage that that ideal does. That being said, I am glad the book had a happy ending.

Margaret said...

I've never read any of those authors except Capote. (In Cold Blood) Glad that you get some peace and quiet after the chaos of the library!

Susan said...

The school schedules combined with the holiday madness makes for a very busy time. R&R is so important. Enjoy your time off.

Catalyst said...

In spite of the cacaphony in your library (when DID the days of shushing librarians go away?), it is good that the kids can be excited about books and reading. Truman Capote was known for his snideness towards friends and foes alike. If you've never seen the fictional film about him ("Tru") it's a good view about how he lost most of his friends after "Answered Prayers" came out. And if you HAVE seen it, well then, Jingle Bells!

Allison said...

Jim and I gave each other a bike rack for the car, and a rowing machine. We quit gifts a long time ago. Somewhere along the line, celebrating Christmas became a chore, and so we quit doing it.
Enjoy your time off, you've earned it!

Sabine said...

Happy holidays to you and Dave and Olga! Hope you get to rest and have pleasant times.

The second book I ever read in English was Them by Joyce Carol Oates. I got it on loan from the American Library in Heidelberg and it was an eye opening experience, first that I actually got the drift, if not every word, but second, so much to learn about the US.
I've read some of her novels and short stories since, some are brilliant, but it's scary when you think how much she gets published.

The first book I ever read in English was The Magus by John Fowles and it was a struggle, I tried to re-read it a few years ago, still struggling.

Kelly said...

I remember reading and enjoying Deep End of the Ocean when it first came out. We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates has been sitting on my shelf for well over twenty years. Clearly I haven't been in a hurry to read it! Now I may never!

I would be completely exhausted (emotionally, mentally, physically) after the week you've had.

Fresca said...

Thanks for the link to the New Yorker article about Oates. This sentence of hers popped out at me:
“Who can tolerate that most tiresome of bourgeois values, consistency?”

Fresca said...

PS Or could she have said, “the hamster wheel”?

Ed said...

I'm not trying to run you out of a job Steve but if we can create stores where people can walk in, grab snacks from a shelf and be billed properly as they just walk straight for the door, surely we can create a library that keeps track of who has what book. I know, it is all those little things you provide. Have a great holiday break. Sounds like you earned it!

Pam C said...

I’m sorry you’ve had a rough few days at work, but glad you’re on break now. I can’t help but think of the hands that laid those many, many bricks, and also wonder why the lower bricks are a different color. Was it a repair or graffiti clean up? iI also wonder what made the green reflection

Steve Reed said...

River: OMG! Have you ever heard the word "SPOILER"?! :)

Andrew: Yes, thankfully, it is now in the past tense! At least for the time being.

Mitchell: I think that's where Dave and I are, too. We had a talk last night and agreed Christmas gifts were not necessary!

YP: Be sure to put something in there about my sharp teeth and my ability to write firm e-mails about overdue books.

Linda Sue: Interesting! Obviously I'm not coming at it from the perspective of a parent.

Sharon: A HUGE relief. It felt like a long time coming.

Bug: Yes, I think Dave is just as desirous of some alone time as I am!

Jean: I have never heard of a school library that doesn't lend books, though some libraries are more for study than borrowing for pleasure reading. I guess in earlier years books were probably more scarce than they are now.

Bob: See, I think that's great. Making the house better for the two of you!

Ellen D: Yes, that IS true. The time flies!

Ms Moon: Ha! Having to entertain the Obamas would definitely bring a whole new level to household stress! Though I'm sure they'd be perfect guests.

Red: Kids are kids the world over!

Debby: Actually, now that you mention it, I think I may have read that! Or did I just read ABOUT it?

Margaret: I loved "In Cold Blood" when I read it in college, though it scared the bejeezus out of me. (To use Bob's phrase from above.)

Susan: I am so happy to have some time to myself. This has been a very busy fall.

Catalyst: I'm not sure I've seen that particular movie, but I know the story of "Answered Prayers" and the fallout it brought to Capote's life. In his later years he was addled by his various addictions and wasn't thinking clearly or using particularly good judgement.

Allison: Exactly -- it becomes an obligation, and if you're married to someone you're doing stuff for them all year long anyway.

Sabine: Wow! You went right for some difficult material. I actually weeded our copy of "The Magus" from our library. It was in terrible condition and I thought it was an unlikely read for a high school student anyway.

Kelly: Now that I'm hearing the title "We Were the Mulvaneys" I'm thinking I may have read that. Did it become a movie? Maybe I saw the movie. Terrible that I can't remember.

Fresca: Ha! Nice connection! Yes, the hamster wheel of consistency.

Ed: Actually many, many libraries do just that. They use a self-checkout system. I do a lot more than just scan books, though. Someone has to recommend them and put them away and pull carts for lessons, blah blah blah.

Pam: The green reflection came from glass on a green-tinted building across the street. That's a good question about the bricks. It looks like the lower part of the wall was cleaned and/or repointed.

Boud said...

This post just showed up now on my feed. About Oates: she's local, I'm acquainted, and her person and writing: hard, firm no thank you!

Jeanie said...

No wonder you're whipped after that week! Three cheers for vacation! (And I agree on Oates!)