Friday, December 1, 2023

Barnaby Rudge


It's a chilly 30º F (or -1º C) outside as I type this. I took the picture above during yesterday morning's dog walk along West End Lane. Yes! Olga wanted a walk after all! As soon as I'd posted to the blog and stood up, she leapt to attention and was raring to go. She can turn on a dime, that dog.


Here she is wandering through the frosty garden. Look at how the Japanese maple has lost all its leaves, seemingly all of a sudden. Two weeks ago it was a flaming red torch, and now it's bare twigs.

I did not sleep well last night. More work stress, about which we shall not speak. I woke up about 2:30 a.m., came out to the living room and plowed through the last 30 pages of "Barnaby Rudge." Another Dickens done! I thought it was good and very interesting, given that it was written about the Gordon Riots of 1780, an event in British history I knew nothing about. I can see why it isn't one of Dickens' more famous books -- there are a lot of characters and some of them are quite thinly drawn, especially (of course) the women. But he succeeds in making his readers care about Barnaby, the central character, and the scenes involving the actual riots (which begin about two-thirds of the way into the book) are quite suspenseful.

Dickens can turn a phrase. I liked this quote, for example, about a character who speaks in shiny but empty clichés: "Nor is this to be wondered at; for as hollow vessels produce a far more musical sound in falling than those which are substantial, so it will oftentimes be found that sentiments which have nothing in them make the loudest ringing in the world, and are the most relished."

And he can be pretty funny, as in this description of a matronly character's movements: "Mrs. Varden slightly raised her hands, shook her head, and looked at the ground as though she saw straight through the globe, out the other end, and into the immensity of space beyond."

Of course Dickens can't resist some discussion of the human condition: "The despisers of mankind -- apart from the mere fools and mimics, of that creed -- are of two sorts. They who believe their merit neglected and unappreciated, make up one class; they who receive adulation and flattery, knowing their own worthlessness, compose the other. Be sure that the coldest-hearted misanthropes are ever of this last order."

That quote reminded me of Donald Trump. I'm pretty sure he's the guy who feels unappreciated, but it's possible that subconsciously he feels he's getting more adulation than he deserves, and is thus overcompensating.

Our Christmas lights, shining through my glasses,
cast these sparkles on the book!

Finally, I liked this description of the government's attempts to quell the rioters near what is now the Holborn Viaduct, which I visited with blogger Sharon a little more than a month ago: "At Holborn Bridge, and on Holborn Hill, the confusion was greater than in any other part; for the crowd that poured out of the city in two great streams, one by Ludgate Hill, and one by Newgate-street, united at that spot, and formed a mass so dense, that at every volley the people seemed to fall in heaps. At this place a large detachment of soldiery were posted, who fired, now up Fleet Market, now up Holborn, now up Snow Hill -- constantly raking the streets in each direction. At this place too, several large fires were burning, so that all the terrors of that terrible night seemed to be concentrated in one spot."

That's what I like about London. It's living history, all around us!

25 comments:

Will said...

"it will oftentimes be found that sentiments which have nothing in them make the loudest ringing in the world, and are the most relished."
Could well be applied to much of social media.

Rachel Phillips said...

The nuns at my school were frequently telling us "empty vessels make most noise" and I have never forgotten it and hope I learned from it.

I once told an intern who came to our office to read Dickens because he could not construct a sentence and his written Enhlish was poor.

Moving with Mitchell said...

I often wish I had that kind of way with words. I never wish anymore to wake up to a frosty garden. So sorry about the work stress.

gz said...

Well done Olga, to get you out and see the winter morning light.

I watched a programme on king George the third of England last night, about his health and the things that could have triggered it, presented by Lucy Worsley.
Very interesting and also during the time of those riots. Worth checking out.

Hope work stress gets sorted.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

"More work stress, about which we shall not speak"... Sorry to hear this Steve. It's one thing a new starter learning to bear work stress but you are a mature and conscientious grafter. Maybe your not-so-new boss needs to learn the usefulness of the saying, "If something ain't broke, don't try yo fix it".

Well done on completing "Barnaby Rudge" which by the way, I have never read.

Andrew said...

I suppose it is normal to have such temperatures in early December. It seems a bit early, but what would I know. We had nice weather in England in April/May this year, but when we landed at Heathrow, the outdoor area of our nearby hotel was 4 degrees. It was a biting but refreshing cold.

Ed said...

One thing I love about reading as a hobby is that I'll never run out of books to read. In fact, I look at it as sort of a Big Bang event. More books are being produced all the time than I can ever read so with every day, I have even more books to chose from.

Contrast to many other hobbies where the further you get into them, the less selection you have to proceed.

Boud said...

Sorry the stress of work is driving you to Barnaby Rudge. That's some stress. My Japanese maple has suddenly lost her foliage, too. There's no gradual there.

Michael said...

Sorry about your work stress. I remember times like that when I'd wake up in the middle of the night thinking about stuff at work and sleep would elude me. At least you did something and didn't just stay in bed. When I read the Dickens' words that you wrote I wished that I had a way with words like that. A true talent.

Bob said...

I don't think Thing 45 is that deep to have subconscious thought. He thinks he deserves, and is owed, everything.

The Bug said...

Oof - work stress is so annoying. Hopefully it gets sorted out in a SANE manner.

Ms. Moon said...

Leave it up to Dickens to nail a definition of imposter syndrome. Humans really don't change much, do they?
I am so sorry to hear about work. I was hoping that things had gotten better.

37paddington said...

Lincoln's Inn jumped out at me from the page you feature in the photo. My dad went to law school there and is also bencher there. Remarkable to think the place existed in Dickens' day. I haven't read this book of his but perhaps I shall, based on your review. You back garden looks like a place that could inspire many stories.

Red said...

Funny this didn't put you back to sleep in a hurry.

Susan said...

Dickens very eloquently sizes up the situation. The strength of his words is amazing. Your garden looks more like winter than mine here in Massachusetts. Work stress is the pits. Ending it is often not easy. A good manager works to prevent stress. Sadly, not all are good managers.

Fresca said...

Hi, Steve— I was just looking at blog posts from previous Decembers, as I often do when the month changes, and I found this mention of you—and Olga!—that I’d written on Dec 5, 2018:

“ So, here it is, ten a.m., and I'm going to take a few minutes to write a little bit, even though I feel like the White Rabbit--late, late, late…
I'm inspired by the blog I'm newly following--Shadows & Light--because I love how the blogger, Steve, jots down daily stuff--yesterday, that his dog threw up on their new carpet.
I laughed.”

Kelly said...

" they who receive adulation and flattery, knowing their own worthlessness " I don't think this applies to Trump. I think he's egotistical and narcissistic enough that he believes he is MORE worthy than any of us, deserving adulation and flattery!! I'm not sure when I'll get to Barnaby Rudge. I might read Bleak House first. I sure hope your work problems are resolved soon, Steve.

Sharon said...

Oh gosh, I love that quote about the Holborn Viaduct. I can picture the huge crowds surging both over and under the bridge and coming out of those historic buildings. You are so right, walking the streets of London you are surrounded by history at every turn.

Allison said...

Dickens really could turn a phrase. I only remember reading Bleak House, which was.... bleak. Your garden looks cold.

John Going Gently said...

Interesting
History is not far away is it?

Margaret said...

I love those Dickens' quotes; they are very apt. I too am sorry about your work stress. :( Most of my work stress was actually PEOPLE stress. The work was fine, delightful even.

Catalyst said...

I have brought home "Oliver Twist" from the library. Though I read some Dickens as a lad I don't think I've ever read this one. Judy said I'll deserve a medal if I get through the whole thing. I haven't started it yet.

Debby said...

Work stress. Not sorry to have left all that behind. Good luck dealing with it.

So is your next goal going to be reading all the Dicken's novels? That should keep you busy for a year!

jenny_o said...

I'm with Red, lol.

But good on you for finishing that book!

Hope work things stabilize soon. Constant stress is hard on a person.

Steve Reed said...

Will: Absolutely! That statement describes social media perfectly! Dickens really DID speak to the human condition in a timeless way.

Rachel: I bet the nuns got that from Dickens, don't you think? Or was Dickens simply rephrasing an already pre-existing expression? I assume you mean the intern's written English was poor, not Dickens'. :)

Mitchell: As I get older, the frosty garden is becoming less and less appealing! LOL

GZ: Interesting. On BBC? I'll look for it.

YP: I don't want to make too much of it. It's a transient thing and it will pass.

Andrew: Yes, spring can be cold here!

Ed: That's an interesting observation! It's true, the pool of book possibilities just keeps expanding. (Though I suppose older ones do fall out of print!)

Boud: Ha! I actually intended to read "Barnaby Rudge" long before the stress began. :)

Michael: He was so talented in many ways, and yet he had some shortcomings. He is particularly bad at writing female characters. None of his women have much depth or believability.

Bob: Yeah, you're almost certainly right.

Bug: Hopefully!

Ms Moon: Yes! It IS imposter syndrome! He really had great insight into the shortcomings of some human beings.

37P: Yes, Lincoln's Inn and the Temple are both frequently mentioned, as lawyers and the law figure in the plot quite a bit.

Red: Not at all! I love Dickens. He is not boring to me.

Susan: I am trying my best not to exacerbate stress while still doing my job to the best of my ability. Believe it or not, there is some conflict between those two goals.

Fresca: Ha! I didn't realize you mentioned me on your blog. A belated thanks for the shout-out! I went back and read that entry and it made me laugh too. Olga is a colorful household presence.

Kelly: I'm going to read "Bleak House" next year! We could do it at the same time! (You'll finish before me, though.)

Sharon: Yes, having been there so recently helped me envision all of it!

Allison: Ha! I've actually seen the house in Broadstairs that inspired "Bleak House."

John: Not here!

Margaret: Yeah, that's pretty much the case here, too.

Catalyst: "Oliver Twist" is actually one of his more accessible books, I think. Which is why it's often recommended to young people.

Debby: That IS a goal, but I'm taking it at a slow pace -- one book per year. :)

Jenny-O: I wouldn't describe it as constant. It's more intermittent. But that's no fun either.